I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Book

Does this really make anyone want to buy the book? I stopped reading on the second page.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does this really make anyone want to buy the book? I stopped reading on the second page.
I'm a lot more likely to check her book out than I would have been had it been some boring template-driven site. I thought it was clever and funny. If the book is written with the same ingenuity and wit, it'll be a winner. As a matter of fact, I came across the link in an e-newsletter I get from Sunbelt Software. How many writer's sites get noticed by a software company and impress them enough for them to include a link in their newsletter? Not many, I'd bet.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I scrolled all the way to the end. I'll be looking for the book now. I love her sense of humour.

Susan Flemming

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanflemming.com
I did what James did. I quit reading after the second page. Then I came back here, read the other comments and thought... maybe I missed something. So I went back and read through the entire site.

The reread did not improve my first impression. Personnally, I found it gimmicky and annoying.

It's like the author was saying:

"I don't need to make a website that is easy to read and navigate. And I'm certainly not going to make it easy for you to find info about me or my new book. Oh no, instead what I'm going to do is make you click through several annoying, sloppy, hand printed messages to get to that. And then you have to click through even more of the same hand printed messages to get to a link that will take you to a page about me and a final one with a link to Amazon where you can pre-order my book."

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
"I don't need to make a website that is easy to read and navigate. And I'm certainly not going to make it easy for you to find info about me or my new book. Oh no, instead what I'm going to do is make you click through several annoying, sloppy, hand printed messages to get to that. And then you have to click through even more of the same hand printed messages to get to a link that will take you to a page about me and a final one with a link to Amazon where you can pre-order my book."

How difficult is it to click the right arrow?

And the book is on the third or fourth page. You could keep July's site open, fire up another browser, and jump to an Amazon search in, what, eight seconds?

Anyway, VERY cool site. Writers' websites -- with the omnipresent ABOUT ME, MY BOOK, MY BLOG, EVENTS mocking me at the top -- are often so cookie-cutter that I never, ever frequent them. And I'm about as avid of a reader as you'll find.

Different, in this case, is good.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One person's gimmick is another's breath of fresh air. :)

My impression was that she put a lot of thought, time and effort into trying to do something entertaining. I think she succeeded.

Last edited:

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
One person's gimmick is another's breath of fresh air. :)

My impression was that she put a lot of thought, time and effort into trying to do something entertaining. I think she succeeded.

Besides, some gimmicks work.

I, for instance, like gimmicks in literary fiction. But that's just me.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
How difficult is it to click the right arrow?

I have to second that. The messages were written in marker, but they were perfectly legible, and it only took a few seconds for each page to load.

I see how it might not be funny to everyone, but I think it functions just as well as any other writer's site.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was really cute! I'd still have to leaf through the book to see if I'd want to buy it, but I would definitely stop and look for it.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was fun. Now I'm jealous. I need a cool website gimmicky thingy. Drat! Good on her for thinking of it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.