My brother's cat...

awatkins

My wonderful, intelligent, crazy-hilariously-funny big brother is dying. Last week he was given 24-48 hours, but as of today he's still hanging in there. When he's not altered, he's still cracking jokes and keeping up with the political scene. Those times are getting farther and farther apart....

Anyway, his children from out of state came down to spend the week with him last week. To avoid making his cat a nervous wreck, she was packed up and sent to her 'grandma' for the week. Well, a few days ago my brother insisted that the cat be returned. "I need to see her," he said.

So cat was brought back. We expected her to stay hidden because of all the people she didn't know (and she isn't impressed with the nurse at ALL) but bless her little heart, she greeted all of us, spends lots of time snuggled with my brother, and is behaving like her old obnoxious self. And the comfort she has given to my brother is a comfort to me, too.

Anyway. I don't know why I'm posting this, I guess I just needed to talk about it. I'm thankful to that fat little kitty for making a terrible time just a teensy bit better.

Writing Again

I think that is a good story and this is a good place to post it.

lastr

:hug Thank you for posting this and sharing with us. I feel for you and your family during this horrible time. When my father was dying, his dog kept the pain away from him and helped ease the sense of inadequacy the rest of us were feeling. Scientists are finally agreeing to what those of us that live with animals have always known, a furred companion lowers blood pressure, stress levels, and adds a feeling of well-being to any gathering.

It is as important to your brother's cat as it is to the rest of those that love him to spend this time together and hug up memories to treasure afterward. You are a wise and beloved sister to recognize and do this for them.

My thoughts and prayers go to you and yours.

Carol

aka eraser

I'm very sorry about your brother awatkins. I'm sure he draws comfort from his cat but probably moreso from you and the rest of his family.

Love eases pain. I'll keep you and him in my thoughts.

Melina

Anne,

While I know there is nothing I can do or say to take away the pain you are feeling now, I want you to know that you and your family are in my prayers. I'm glad for your brother that he has a loving family with whom to spend his last days, and a warm, furry kitty to hold.

Take care,

Melina

Lori Basiewicz

I know times are hard for you rignt now, Awatkins. My thoughts are wish you. In the end, I hope your brother's cat goes to a family member that will cherish her as he does in his memory.

awatkins

Thanks, everyone

Your kind words mean a lot. My brother is still with us this morning, and we are so grateful for every extra minute we're allowed.

More about the cat: Whenever my brother was in the hospital, guess whose picture was on his bedside table? Pictures of his children or grandchildren, maybe? Nope. It was a framed snapshot of that cat. The photo was displayed prominently, as is proper for the queen of the world.

And she sent flowers for every Mother's Day and Father's day, anniversary, holiday, or other special occasion. She also managed to send appropriate cards. You see, she's quite a cat.

One day last week, while she was still away, my brother dreamed about her. He patted his tummy, like he does to call her, and then pantomined stroking her back. So when he asked for her, we knew that he really did need the comfort of her presence. And so she came home.

Anyway, thank you all so very much. Your kindness is so very much appreciated!

Best to you all,

Yeshanu

Re: Thanks, everyone

Anne,

:hug to you in this difficult time.

The photo was displayed prominently, as is proper for the queen of the world.

Cats certainly do know their place, don't they? :lol I worked at a church once with two cats, and they taught me the proper place of humanity in the scheme of things: humans were put on earth by God to open doors for cats. :b

I'm glad your brother's cat is such a sensitive feline. She'll give him lots of comfort in his time left on earth.

Blessings,

Ruth

awatkins

Thanks, Chunky, Ruth, and maestro. I appreciate your kindness!

My brother is unresponsive much of the time now, and when he does rouse, he is very confused and disoriented. But when he is aware of things, he's still making jokes, albeit it a very strained and weak voice. My heart aches to see him this way.

His cat, bless her heart, is still watching over him. She will put her face into his and study him intently for a moment or so, then hop down and curl up right behind his recliner. She doesn't go far away and is always right there with him. What a sweet little nurse he has!

Thanks again, everyone. Your good thoughts help.

lastr

His cat, bless her heart, is still watching over him. She will put her face into his and study him intently for a moment or so, then hop down and curl up right behind his recliner. She doesn't go far away and is always right there with him. What a sweet little nurse he has!

I teared up reading this - I hope the two of them enjoy this time together. You and your remain in my heart and thoughts.

Carol

Kempo Kid

:hug

for you, your brother, and your brother's cat. My thoughts are with you.

awatkins

Thank you so much, Kempo Kid, and you, too, Carol.

Anne