PDA

View Full Version : Near Naples, Italy in the 1950's

thethinker42
04-23-2007, 04:53 PM
I have a story that will be taking place somewhere in the vicinity of Naples, Italy -- more than likely in a nearby village -- in the 1950's. I'm not going to need to go into insane amounts of detail about the food, culture, buildings, etc., but I'd like to know enough to at least get the flavor of the area and time period.

Looking for someone to interview via e-mail that remembers Italy in general in the 1950's. Or, books, websites, resources, etc., that discuss the culture and life in that era/area. I'm Googling the snot out of it right now, and heading to the library later, but I figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone knows someone who can help!! :) Or if someone here can help! LOL

Thanks!

Rob B
04-23-2007, 05:22 PM
The best source by far I've found for dated material is National Geographic. Today, what I am mentioning might be available on their website, but I used to do this at the library, as National Geographic publishes an alphabetized and dated list of topics. This enables you to source Naples articles and then their respective dates of publication. Good Luck

thethinker42
04-23-2007, 05:38 PM
The best source by far I've found for dated material is National Geographic. Today, what I am mentioning might be available on their website, but I used to go the library, as National Geographic publishes an alphabetized and dated list of topics. This enables you to source Naples articles and then their respecptive dates of publication. Good Luck

Oooo, good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!! :) I'm heading to the library today, so I'll check it out.

Thanks so much!

Rob B
04-23-2007, 08:38 PM
I was in a huge hurry this morning when I originally posted, so I apologize for the sloppiness. If you are going to the library, here is something else I've found invaluable for "dated" references. You can look through a set of encyclopedia(s) that are published prior to your date of interest. I think most are reworked about every 14 years. The various encyclopedia publishers also pride themselves with their Syntopicon, as I think one calls theirs. I think you'll find you can source by date in this medium also. I found the older encyclopedia sets to be fabulous for the purposes we are discussing, and most libraries seem to keep their older reference works.

Again, good luck and sorry about the scruffy earlier post.