How much has changed in 120 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished reading New Grub Street, a novel published in 1891 by George Gissing, about the London literary scene. Gissing deals with several issues that pop up all the time on AW--art vs. money, what publishers want, the price of literary fame, and so forth--and though his long-winded Victorian style isn't for everybody, I ran across a couple of quotes I wanted to share for comment.

Jasper Milvain (what names!), a young, none-too-scrupulous writer on his way up, says:

"If I am an unknown man, and publish a wonderful book, it will make its way very slowly, or not at all. If I, become a known man, publish that very same book, its praise will echo over both hemisphere. . . You have to become famous before you can secure the attention which would give you fame. . . . If a man can't hit upon any other way of attracting attention, let him dance on his head in the middle of the street; after that he may hope to get consideration for his volume of poems. I am speaking of men who wish to win reputation before they are toothless."

"The struggle for existence among books is nowadays as severe as among men. . . . the growing flood of literature swamps everything but work of primary genius. If a clever and conscientious book does not spring to success at once, there's precious small chance that it will survive."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Sour grapes taste pretty much now as they did back then... ;)

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The trouble with statements like that is that they don't stack up against real world experience. If it really worked like this, no one would ever become a famous writer except those already famous for something else.

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, in Milvain's case, it wasn't sour grapes. He was expounding a theory, which he proceeded to put in practice by trying to find a wealthy woman to marry, on whose money he intended to give the parties and entertainments that would make himself known. Up to that point, he'd been fairly successful at smaller-scale networking (as we'd call it today) and was laying out what he thought it would take to reach the next level.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Ah. Working on his writing skills didn't appeal to him, eh?

What he says is not entirely without truth. Fame and connections help. They are not indispensable. Many famous authors - the vast majority even - got famous by writing. The rest are famous people who also wrote a book.

It is also true that almost all successful authors got plenty of rejections before they broke through. Perseverance is also an important ingredient of success.

Status
Not open for further replies.