What do you write about?

What do you write about?

• Total voters

lastr

To help us get to know each other and our interests, a small fun poll. Please feel free to elaborate as much as you wish. I can't figure out how to get more then one choice for those of us that write in several genres, so thought I would suggest adding the other ones in your post.

Carol

lastr

I write about horses, dogs, and cats mostly. My very first *published for real money* article was about a goat though. My dog stories seem to get a greater acceptance rate then the horse ones, which must tell me something if I could just listen and understand. :lol

awatkins

Hello again. :)

I write a lot about birds, but I also write about dogs, cats, rabbits, fish, pretty much all sorts of animals. I do write about other subjects, too, but animal writing is what I most enjoy.

Now if I could just figure out how to create a custom signature I could stop typing in all my info every time I post.... lol :shrug

Anne
THE CONURE HANDBOOK
Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
www.geocities.com/anne_c_watkins

Yeshanu

Unfortunately, the post will only let you check off one category. I'm a cat person, but I also have tropical fish, and hope to write about them for several mags. I've had birds in the past (budgies and chickens) but I have nothing whatsoever to do with pigeons... :teeth

Anne:

Go to your profile page. Under your username, you'll see some links. Click on "account preferences."

Scroll down 'till you find "create custom signature." Click to check off the little box, then type your info into the bigger box beneath it. Voila! A custom sig that you don't have to retype every time.

Yeshanu

The link isn't "clickable," where it was before. Maybe someone else can help her? (I don't have a link, so I don't know how to do this...)

The rest looks fine. :thumbs

lastr

The link isn't "clickable," where it was before.
I've been told that this board won't let us cheat by adding new things to a poll - it gives us one time to vote and that's it - no hanging chads on this board. :grin

aka eraser

I don't write specifically about animals (OK...fish...sort of) but in my humour column I've written about my parrot and my (ex) cat and mentioned our toad in passing.

I'm glad this board started because maybe I'll stumble on a market that will consider those pieces. :)

ms pasquale

:grin This is great!

I write humorous fiction and animals always play a prominent role.

I will probably be writing about my new apple-headed Siamese cat...Simon Pasquale who appears to be outsmarting me at every turn.

This is going to be a new favorite haunt of mine.

:b

ms pasquale

RichMar

I sometimes write about dogs & cats. However, there aren't that many good markets. I had one published in ASPCA Animal Watch Magazine: www.marinosward.com/ Click on PROSE then "Appointed Hounds."

I've 2 cats and a dog. One's a kitten, Smokey. I found him in my backyard.

Yesterday, he might have accomplished something no other feline has ever done: he actually locked me out of my house.

awatkins

RichMar, my ex-husband's cat locked him out of the house, too. LOL. Smart kitty!

Frank, you have a parrot? Cool! What kind? :)

lastr

Welcome Ms. Pasquale and RichMar! So we have cats locking doors and being featured in stories? See cats do rule (ducking and running from my dog as he reads this over my shoulder and disagrees - loudly).

The Front Porch Syndicate (linked in the where to submit stories section) is always good for $75.00 for a 500 word article about life with animals. A quick turn around as well and they pay promptly on publication. Plus they syndicate in 1,000s of newspaper and that can build new contacts as well. They appear to like humor, so dash off the story of being locking out RichMar, it might pay enough to buy you a cat proof lock. :D

aka eraser

Frank, you have a parrot? Cool! What kind?

An African Grey, of the Timneh variety named Lucy. She's 5 years old now and chose me to bond with. My columns were about my horror at that twist of fate and how it gradually evolved into grudging acceptance. ;)

awatkins

Hahaha! Lucy sounds like a great companion. And how cool that she picked you!

I love my two feather heads dearly. I've sometimes walked out of the house wearing their ... um ... droppings on the back of my shirt, though, and wonder if that's why some people think bird folks are an odd bunch. :lol

Right now I'm trying to type and avoid a conure beak at the same time. Ouch!!!! i'm not kidding......

ChunkyC

I don't write about animals specifically, but I do occasionally include them as minor characters in my fiction.

Plus I just love the darn critters, especially my cats.

Writing Again

Right now I'm writing a fantasy. The first character you meet is a cat like creature who suddenly realizes it once walkied upright, had hands, wore earrings, just like humans do.

cabindweller

I love writing about animals!! I'm fairly new here, but have been lurking for a bit. This animal board just caught my eye! :grin

I have sled dogs (11) and we are mostly a recreational team (not too serious here at all!!). I usually have plenty of interesting stories to share....or at least I like to think so!:lol

Right now I'm in the process of entering my first contest!! It's a local contest with a few different categories. I'm writing a short little ancectodal story about one eerie night when a wolf payed my dogs and I a visit. Anyone want to give any tips, or read my story and provide some advice? Or is there another board I should take this to? I'm totally new at this, but I really get so much pleasure out of writing, I want to get more serious.

ChunkyC

Hi CabinD. I saw your post in the other thread.

There's a forum here called Share Your Work where you can post a sample of your work and get feedback. Just be sure to read the House Rules before posting, and perhaps check some of the threads to get an idea of how it all works.

And welcome to AW. I'm the moderator of the Newbie Forum where we officially welcome everyone, but certainly I don't mind meeting new folks here. :)

lastr

Welcome CabinD! I'd love to see your story, going to go look at the Share Your Work board to see if it was posted up there.

Carol

cabindweller

Thanks guys! Haven't posted it yet - I'm just finishing it up. I have NO idea even if it's the least bit interesting, or if it makes sense, etc, etc... so I'd love some feedback. I'll hopefully have it posted on Monday after I work on it a bit more this weekend.

chachaboogie

Re: cabindweller

Having six horses, seven dogs and ten cats, I write mostly about those creatures. I compiled an anthology which was published this fall and is available on Amazon.com.......Unconditional Love - Pet Tales by the Humans Who Love Them, by heliographica publishing. I am currently working on the story of my soulmate beloved horse that died unexpectedly on October 26 and I am devastated over her loss. Still trying to figure out what happened there.

I worked for a vet for two years to get information before I wrote the book. It was a real eye opener, believe me.

All my novels and stories have some form of animal in them. A person isn't complete without an animal... my opinion.

triceretops

Re: What do you write about

Well, I guess I'm the black sheep of this group (pardon the pun). My current project is compiling information on the Pleistocene (ice age) mammals discovered out here in Diamond Valley Lake. It will be similar to the La Brea Tar Pit
finds. These animals include:
Mastodons
Mammoths
Dire Wolves
Giant Ground Sloth
Camels
Short faced Bear
Toxodont
Saber-toothed cat
Peccary
Long-horned Rhino
Unlike yourselves, I'll have to use a bit of conjecture and imagination to describe these critters in a social setting, along with habits, locomotion, morphology, diet, range and other
relevant criteria. My most difficult task will be finding stock
or camera ready photos of representations of these creatures.
Perhaps I'll find a good b/w illio artist in AW who has rendered these animals in one art form or another.
Good luck to all of you. "Bless the Beasts and the Children."
Triceratops

RichMar

Oddest thing: I was surfing for articles/essays on dog behavior when I came across the same title I had used for a piece in "Animal Watch"--"Appointed Hounds" about two years ago. I clicked on it and it was MY piece. (I do remember signing away electronic writes to ASPCA, however.)

www.petfinder.org/journal...1.2.41.txt

It was more a humor piece, but they imply I'm some sort of expert in the dog-behavior field.

dana smithmansell

My favorite topic of discussion-animals!! Furry, feathered, , four legged, two legged, fins-whatever. I've written a handful of stories about my past and present pets. One is included in Avie Townsend anthology mentioned previously, and other are scheduled for publication in 2005. They are great inspirations and I wouldn't know what life would be without them! Dana