View Full Version : What do you write about?

09-05-2004, 10:40 PM
To help us get to know each other and our interests, a small fun poll. Please feel free to elaborate as much as you wish. I can't figure out how to get more then one choice for those of us that write in several genres, so thought I would suggest adding the other ones in your post.

09-05-2004, 10:43 PM
I write about horses, dogs, and cats mostly. My very first *published for real money* article was about a goat though. My dog stories seem to get a greater acceptance rate then the horse ones, which must tell me something if I could just listen and understand. :lol

09-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Hello again. :)

I write a lot about birds, but I also write about dogs, cats, rabbits, fish, pretty much all sorts of animals. I do write about other subjects, too, but animal writing is what I most enjoy.

Now if I could just figure out how to create a custom signature I could stop typing in all my info every time I post.... lol :shrug

Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
www.geocities.com/anne_c_watkins (http://www.geocities.com/anne_c_watkins)

09-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Unfortunately, the post will only let you check off one category. I'm a cat person, but I also have tropical fish, and hope to write about them for several mags. I've had birds in the past (budgies and chickens) but I have nothing whatsoever to do with pigeons... :teeth

Go to your profile page. Under your username, you'll see some links. Click on "account preferences."

Scroll down 'till you find "create custom signature." Click to check off the little box, then type your info into the bigger box beneath it. Voila! A custom sig that you don't have to retype every time.

09-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Thank you, Yeshanu. I hope I did it right! :)

09-06-2004, 07:22 AM
The link isn't "clickable," where it was before. Maybe someone else can help her? (I don't have a link, so I don't know how to do this...)

The rest looks fine. :thumbs

09-06-2004, 07:36 AM
The link isn't "clickable," where it was before. I've been told that this board won't let us cheat by adding new things to a poll - it gives us one time to vote and that's it - no hanging chads on this board. :grin

aka eraser
09-06-2004, 08:54 AM
I don't write specifically about animals (OK...fish...sort of) but in my humour column I've written about my parrot and my (ex) cat and mentioned our toad in passing.

I'm glad this board started because maybe I'll stumble on a market that will consider those pieces. :)

ms pasquale
09-06-2004, 11:14 AM
:grin This is great!

I write humorous fiction and animals always play a prominent role.

I will probably be writing about my new apple-headed Siamese cat...Simon Pasquale who appears to be outsmarting me at every turn.

This is going to be a new favorite haunt of mine.

ms pasquale

09-06-2004, 05:30 PM
I sometimes write about dogs & cats. However, there aren't that many good markets. I had one published in ASPCA Animal Watch Magazine: www.marinosward.com/ Click on PROSE then "Appointed Hounds."

I've 2 cats and a dog. One's a kitten, Smokey. I found him in my backyard.

Yesterday, he might have accomplished something no other feline has ever done: he actually locked me out of my house.

09-06-2004, 07:28 PM
RichMar, my ex-husband's cat locked him out of the house, too. LOL. Smart kitty!

Frank, you have a parrot? Cool! What kind? :)

09-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Welcome Ms. Pasquale and RichMar! So we have cats locking doors and being featured in stories? See cats do rule (ducking and running from my dog as he reads this over my shoulder and disagrees - loudly).

The Front Porch Syndicate (linked in the where to submit stories section) is always good for $75.00 for a 500 word article about life with animals. A quick turn around as well and they pay promptly on publication. Plus they syndicate in 1,000s of newspaper and that can build new contacts as well. They appear to like humor, so dash off the story of being locking out RichMar, it might pay enough to buy you a cat proof lock. :D

aka eraser
09-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Frank, you have a parrot? Cool! What kind?

An African Grey, of the Timneh variety named Lucy. She's 5 years old now and chose me to bond with. My columns were about my horror at that twist of fate and how it gradually evolved into grudging acceptance. ;)

09-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Hahaha! Lucy sounds like a great companion. And how cool that she picked you!

I love my two feather heads dearly. I've sometimes walked out of the house wearing their ... um ... droppings on the back of my shirt, though, and wonder if that's why some people think bird folks are an odd bunch. :lol

Right now I'm trying to type and avoid a conure beak at the same time. Ouch!!!! i'm not kidding......

09-08-2004, 05:29 AM
I don't write about animals specifically, but I do occasionally include them as minor characters in my fiction.

Plus I just love the darn critters, especially my cats.

Writing Again
09-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Right now I'm writing a fantasy. The first character you meet is a cat like creature who suddenly realizes it once walkied upright, had hands, wore earrings, just like humans do.

09-24-2004, 01:22 AM
I love writing about animals!! I'm fairly new here, but have been lurking for a bit. This animal board just caught my eye! :grin

I have sled dogs (11) and we are mostly a recreational team (not too serious here at all!!). I usually have plenty of interesting stories to share....or at least I like to think so!:lol

Right now I'm in the process of entering my first contest!! It's a local contest with a few different categories. I'm writing a short little ancectodal story about one eerie night when a wolf payed my dogs and I a visit. Anyone want to give any tips, or read my story and provide some advice? Or is there another board I should take this to? I'm totally new at this, but I really get so much pleasure out of writing, I want to get more serious.

09-24-2004, 04:47 AM
Hi CabinD. I saw your post in the other thread.

There's a forum here called Share Your Work where you can post a sample of your work and get feedback. Just be sure to read the House Rules before posting, and perhaps check some of the threads to get an idea of how it all works.

And welcome to AW. I'm the moderator of the Newbie Forum where we officially welcome everyone, but certainly I don't mind meeting new folks here. :)

09-24-2004, 05:37 AM
Welcome CabinD! I'd love to see your story, going to go look at the Share Your Work board to see if it was posted up there.

09-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys! Haven't posted it yet - I'm just finishing it up. I have NO idea even if it's the least bit interesting, or if it makes sense, etc, etc... so I'd love some feedback. I'll hopefully have it posted on Monday after I work on it a bit more this weekend.

09-24-2004, 09:59 PM

11-22-2004, 07:55 AM
Having six horses, seven dogs and ten cats, I write mostly about those creatures. I compiled an anthology which was published this fall and is available on Amazon.com.......Unconditional Love - Pet Tales by the Humans Who Love Them, by heliographica publishing. I am currently working on the story of my soulmate beloved horse that died unexpectedly on October 26 and I am devastated over her loss. Still trying to figure out what happened there.

I worked for a vet for two years to get information before I wrote the book. It was a real eye opener, believe me.

All my novels and stories have some form of animal in them. A person isn't complete without an animal... my opinion.

12-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Well, I guess I'm the black sheep of this group (pardon the pun). My current project is compiling information on the Pleistocene (ice age) mammals discovered out here in Diamond Valley Lake. It will be similar to the La Brea Tar Pit
finds. These animals include:
Dire Wolves
Giant Ground Sloth
Short faced Bear
Saber-toothed cat
Long-horned Rhino
Unlike yourselves, I'll have to use a bit of conjecture and imagination to describe these critters in a social setting, along with habits, locomotion, morphology, diet, range and other
relevant criteria. My most difficult task will be finding stock
or camera ready photos of representations of these creatures.
Perhaps I'll find a good b/w illio artist in AW who has rendered these animals in one art form or another.
Good luck to all of you. "Bless the Beasts and the Children."

12-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Oddest thing: I was surfing for articles/essays on dog behavior when I came across the same title I had used for a piece in "Animal Watch"--"Appointed Hounds" about two years ago. I clicked on it and it was MY piece. (I do remember signing away electronic writes to ASPCA, however.)

www.petfinder.org/journal...1.2.41.txt (http://www.petfinder.org/journalindex.cgi?path=/public/animalbehavior/dogs/1.2.41.txt)

It was more a humor piece, but they imply I'm some sort of expert in the dog-behavior field.

dana smithmansell
12-11-2004, 01:29 AM
My favorite topic of discussion-animals!! Furry, feathered, , four legged, two legged, fins-whatever. I've written a handful of stories about my past and present pets. One is included in Avie Townsend anthology mentioned previously, and other are scheduled for publication in 2005. They are great inspirations and I wouldn't know what life would be without them! Dana

01-29-2005, 06:20 AM
Like another poster earlier in this thread I don't write about animals in particular but it's something to think about... interesting thread... thanks to whoever started it.

03-23-2005, 07:01 AM
I write a lot about dogs and every now and again about a cat that hangs around. Dogs are my best subject.

03-26-2005, 04:54 AM
I recently finished writing about the following animals:

I am now in the process of writing about these animals:

In the future, I will be writing more about animals in addition to other subjects. Writing about animals and nature is what I enjoy the most so far. This is not to say it is what I am best at but it is what I enjoy.

03-27-2005, 11:14 AM
I usually write young adult stories, but I've been a cat owner since before I can remember. So I've written a few cat stories. None has been published yet.

03-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Hi All,

I tend to write mostly about Cats.

03-31-2005, 04:18 AM
As for me--dogs and fish.

03-31-2005, 04:25 AM
I voted for "Dogs," but it really should be Dog. Better yet, Howard! Hmmm, maybe I should expand my repertoire....

03-31-2005, 07:33 AM
Speaking of dogs, I have a dog named Chance. I named him that because he took a chance at saving his own life by entering the ER Triage area at the hospital where I work.

A quick story about Chance.

I was in the ER triage area when a dog came in. He must have been waiting for the next person to enter because he came in right behind them. Once he made his way through the sliding glass doors, he collapsed to the floor. I immediately went to see if I could help him. Fortunately, I had finished my work and was about to head home. I would not have left any patients I was taking care of otherwise.

The dog was dehydrated and obviously malnourished. Hospital security had been called to deal with the situation (ie. to get rid of the dog). I had to act quickly or I knew the dog would die. I immediately announced that I would take the dog to an Emergency VET and that I would keep and care for him. I had fallen in love with that mutt! It's a good thing this doesn't happen to me with all patients I care for.

A few of my co-workers donated some cash to help cover the cost of veterinary care and a security guard assisted me with placing the dog in my car. By the time I arrived at the Vet's office, the dog was unable to walk due to extreme weakness and had to be carried in.

After veterinary care, some TLC and a round of antibiotics, Chance began to regain his health. He is now completely healthy and he is an amazing animal. I feel honored to have him as part of my family.

Chance appears to be 1/2 German Shepherd and 1/2 Labrador however, there is no way to know for sure. The Vet estimated his age to be approximately 1 1/2 years old.

It was not long after this that a pregnant Beagle showed up at my house. With no collar and no claims of ownership, she soon became the second dog addition to my family. We named her Shilo but I call her Little Girl. She is a "Hold Me" dog because she wants to be held all day long.

Shilo had become pregnant by a large dog and was having difficulty with delivery. I felt I could relate because my children were whappers to!

It is said that a woman forgets the pain of childbirth...HA! wanna bet? I remember the pain like it was yesterday even tho it was 7 years ago....but that is another story.

The first pup born was male and we named him Shane. He is calm, cool and collected. A very handsome pup indeed.

The second pup was breech and it was very large. I tried my best to assist but I failed and I could not resuscitate it once it was delivered. I am still torn up inside over the death of that pup. My weakness is that I do not forgive myself easily. This pup was female and we buried her in our backyard.

The third pup was also breech and large. I had to assist again with delivery. Like the second pup, this one was also not breathing. My attempts at resuscitation were failing once more but then something came over me. It was some sort of emotion that I can only describe as being an "I'll Be Damned" kind of emotion. I hope you can understand what I mean.

With one last "I'll Be Damned" effort, I took hold of that pup's tiny snout and puffed my breath into its little lungs. I then massaged its little body with my hands and finally that beautiful pup took its first unassisted breath of life.This final pup is a healthy female with an attitude you would not believe!! ... she is appropriately named Sassy.

This is the true story of how I went from 0 to 4 dogs in less than a year.

03-31-2005, 06:52 PM
Wow, Gehanna. Thanks for sharing your story with us...I'll bet there's a magazine out there that'd be willing to buy a story like this!

03-31-2005, 08:15 PM
I agree with Rose, Gehanna! That sounds publish-able to me (is that a word?). :)

03-31-2005, 09:04 PM
That would be fantastic!! What should I do? I mean do I need to rewrite it and include all the details or what? If I could sell that story then maybe I could afford to get Shilo and Sassy spayed because if I don't I am likely to end up with 12 dogs before I know it. Sassy is still to young to get pregnant (I hope) and Shilo, I've had to watch for her cycle and keep her secluded which is not easy to do.

Anyway, I am not sure how much it costs to spay a dog and the reason I haven't found out yet is because I live on a very tight budget right now. Keep your fingers crossed for me that someone will buy my story!

Ummm any ideas on where I should start looking?

03-31-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm going to be a bit cheeky and jump in here, even though Anne is our most famous Writing about Animals forum member! She sold an article to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.

I think your best chance at making a sale is to study several dog/pet/womens magazines and write your story in a style that fits the publication.

Off the top of my head, I think the back page essay in Dog Fancy, called Perspectives, might be a good fit. I'm not sure if it pays, though. The Bark also prints personal essays. I have a feeling the best paying markets will be womens magazines. You could also try your local newspaper(s).

Here are a couple good links:

Good luck!

03-31-2005, 09:41 PM
Thank You Rose. :snoopy:

I'm going to get on it like a Bloodhound on a fresh scent! lol

04-29-2005, 07:10 PM
I write almost exclusively about horses and cats (not at the same time, on the whole), and have sold stories about both. I had a short-lived newspaper column about horses. That gave birth to the book I POD'd in 2003. I'm mostly a non-fiction kind of gal, but I'm working on a novel with a horse as a major player. To this end, I've just spend an unaccustomed amount of money on this very site on some software to help me bridge the non-fiction/fiction gap. I hope it helps. Right now my book sounds like the subtitle should be "Schoolmarm on Drugs".

I found the Chocolate for Women anthologies to be a good market for sappy cat stories, but they're defunct as of last summer. Storyhouse.com is great for short, general-interest pieces (no "vet on call" advice stuff). They don't pay real well (less than $20 for a 500-word essay or story), but the contract is for only one one-week use of the work on a (ready?) coffee can label. They're fun and easy to work with, and you get copies of the labels and a can of coffee along with the check. Works for me! There's an airline in-flight magazine I can't recall the title of (In Flight, perhaps?) that will buy animal stuff if there's travel or a destination involved. They don't want "My Dead Cat" stories, but if you've had an interesting interaction with a puma on a hiking trail, they'll be interested in taking a look.

By the way, my horse advice/humor column ran on Massachussetts' North Shore. I live in NJ. I couldn't find a local paper interested. I got the column by networking on a bb. The moral is: Don't limit your market searches to the obvious. I, personally, need all the free coffee I can get! ;)

04-29-2005, 07:33 PM
I found the Chocolate for Women anthologies to be a good market for sappy cat stories, but they're defunct as of last summer.

Yup, I had a couple of animal stories in those books, too. Hated to see the series end, especially since I had another story accepted for the book that was cancelled. Oh, well, I turned it around and sold it elsewhere, so all wasn't lost.

04-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Anne, I had high hopes when they went searching for a new publisher that they would find one. Kay was so easy to work with! Only one time did she ask for a revision of a story, and I had to admit that it was better without the blood and gore. :tongue They bought and paid for two stories from me before they went under. I almost felt bad about taking the money. Almost. Not for long.