Is low pay the norm?

RoseReifsnyder

Hi everyone,

I've read in many places that pet markets are notorious for low pay. Is that true in your experience? Is there a big difference in pay rates for personal essays vs. service pieces?

I've noticed (and found out the hard way) that many pet magazines do not pay for personal essays. Has that been your experience, too?

Thanks, Rose

awatkins

Hi Rose,

It depends on the market. Some are low pay, others pay decent amounts. Don't know about the pay for essay writing in the print mags because I work mostly on assignment--articles, with lots of research and interviews, and I get paid extra for photographs. Brings in a pretty nice paycheck most months.

The animal-related essays I've sold have mostly been to print publications such as the Listening to the Animals hardcover books from Guideposts that came out a few years ago. They paid very nicely and I retained reprint rights to all my pieces, too.

But, on the other hand, I've also sold pieces for less than a hundred bucks if I liked the publication. You just have to really research the markets, know your subject (and I think you are quite familar with yours!) and turn in well written work that makes the editors happy. They'll remember your name and that helps a lot!

Don't know if any of this rambling will be helpful or not. . .

RoseReifsnyder

Hi Anne,

Your "rambling" is immensely helpful...especially since you are such a pro. I popped out to your website earlier - your list of credits is impressive.

It's good to know you're out there in AbsoluteWrite land!

Rose

awatkins

Thank you, Rose! How nice of you. :)

One of these days I'll get around to updating that web site. *sigh*

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Pay

RoseReifsnyder said:
Hi everyone,

I've read in many places that pet markets are notorious for low pay. Is that true in your experience? Is there a big difference in pay rates for personal essays vs. service pieces?

I've noticed (and found out the hard way) that many pet magazines do not pay for personal essays. Has that been your experience, too?

Thanks, Rose

Generally speaking, yes, pay is low. But whether pay is low or high largely depends on how long it takes to write something. A hundred bucks isn't much is it takes you two weeks to get something written, but it isn't bad if you write the piece in only two hours.

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jamesaritchie!

I don't think we've e-met yet. Do you do a lot of writing about pets? I'd love to hear any advice you have to offer about writing for this market.

Rose

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Pets

RoseReifsnyder said:
Hi Jamesaritchie!

I don't think we've e-met yet. Do you do a lot of writing about pets? I'd love to hear any advice you have to offer about writing for this market.

Rose

I don't write a great deal for the typical pet markets because of low pay, but I do write about animals for other sorts of publications. I've found most general interest magazines are receptive to stories about animals. And I do love animals.

Funny thing, though. I always considered myself a dog person, and here I am with two Maine Coon cats and no dogs. Go figure.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all,

I have a pet publishing contract since last year and even though the editor told me to sit tight and it would be used, I still haven't seen it in their ezine. Anyone here get their story used and paid for? Hope so. Have a super weekend.

Happy acceptances, Susie:)

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
What is a "pet publishing contract?" If you don't mind divulging the info, what pet ezine might your story appear in?

A magazine called Fido Friendly accepted one of my stories last year, but it hasn't seen ink yet. Keep your fingers crossed for me!