3 months and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
Three months ago, three different agents requests MS on my MG chapter book. Meanwhile I have a fourth who wants an exclusive. Should I contact the three agents or continue to be patient (not)?

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong in making a polite inquiry if those agents have had your work for three months -- unless each one has clearly posted on his/her website that his/her turnaround time is a minimum of six months ...

... even then, though, I would feel well within my rights to contact an agent -- because if one short/polite inquiry from me after 12 weeks is going to piss him/her off, well, then, I wouldn't want him/her to represent me!

And congratulations for having so many agents interested in reading your work! Way to GO!

BTW: If you cannot get an answer from all three at this point, then explain the situation to the new agent. While you wouldn't be able to offer him/her an exclusive, you could promise not to send the work out to any further agents -- as well as offer him/her an exclusive for the rest of the work (should he/she want to read further). I did that once, and the agent thought it was just fine.

Last edited:

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Who's the agent? Most are pretty lenient when you say other agents are reading, but a few won't budge on the exclusive issue. And congrats on the interest!

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
Who's the agent? Most are pretty lenient when you say other agents are reading, but a few won't budge on the exclusive issue. And congrats on the interest!

Elizabeth Harding @ Curtis Brown

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Doing a quick Google search on her, it seems that she's unreliable when it comes to response times (for instance, serveral people who gave her an exclusive 1-month partial didn't hear back from her after two months' time, and their status e-mails went unanswered). I'd definitedly recommend asking for a non-exclusive on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.