Flash Fiction contest - free - 500 word max

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
I noticed this in the Announcement section on the first page of AW:

bullet.gif
ReadingWriters Flash Fiction Contest
(due May 31, 2007; no entry fee; win $100, publication, and Flash Fiction: Very Short Stories, ed. by James Thomas, Denise Thomas and Tom Hazuka)

The max length is 500 words. Publication will be in their "writing e-zine," The Verb. Here's the link:

http://www.readingwriters.com/contest.htm

Bayou Bill :cool:

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Allahu Akhbar after some additional work to make it clearer is already in and I have another one, in the SYF forum in scifi, called The Space Bridge that's going tomorrow.

Eric

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna wait out the next contest. There's no way I can write and polish a piece in less than 10 hours.

Isn't today May 30th and it and it says the deadline is Midnight (PT) May 31?

Someone should fix this forum software. All of today's posts show a date of "Today." :tongue

Last edited:

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
I'm a bit surprised the deadline is May 31, when the winners are to be announced on June 6. If there's a flood of last-minute entries and the winner hasn't been pre-determind, that judge could be busy.

But it's free and seems legit. I entered a couple 500 word pieces.

Bayou Bill :cool:

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
I have a feeling they didn't anticipate a large group of entries. This seems like their first writing contest. They don't even make it super clear how to send in submissions for the contest. The submissions page is for their editing service.

Anyway, I'm about to send my second entry off to them. I hope one of us here wins so we can celebrate together. . .

Best of luck to all.

And remember, even if you don't win, it doesn't mean you can't take the same story and attempt to sell it elsewhere. ;).

Eric