Status
Not open for further replies.

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
I know I should be grateful that an agent wants to think about me, and I know "I'm thinking of representing you" is better than "no," but GEEZ, I hate this.

She emailed a couple of weeks ago to say (as two other agents have) that my platform is made of cardboard and duct tape, but she wanted me to see if I could enlist some cover blurbs from childbirth experts for a little boost. As I work on that she has been asking me probing questions and allowing me to try to make my case.

It's been almost two weeks and I've gotten three nationally recognized childbirth authors to agree to interviews and cover blurbs if I get a contract. I know the agent will be making up her mind soon, and the suspense is killing me!

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Don't lose heart! Limbo is so nerve-wracking, and something like a courtship dance.

I think what you describe is pretty common, especially for first-time nonfiction writers, where there is a lot more concern about the "platform" --and also room to reshape the book, since typically the agent is evaluating based on a proposal and sample chapters rather than a whole manuscript.

I had several agents who were interested, but wanted to see how I'd respond to their suggestions and requests for changes, before we made a formal agreement. (I ended up signing with one of them.)

Personally, I'd rather go through this before the offer rather than after, when it's much more awkward to "break up." And remember that it's mutual: you also need to see whether the agent's working style and vision for your book are close enough to yours.

I bet it works out! Keep us posted!

Susan

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hi, Cathy,

I'm sorry they haven't responded to your query, but be patient, they will! I am also waiting for a response to my partial. It's been about a month a month and they still haven't responded yet; you could always query other agents, or edit while you're waiting. Good luck!

Apryl

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Susan B said:
And remember that it's mutual: you also need to see whether the agent's working style and vision for your book are close enough to yours.

That's a good point. I wasn't too sure about this agent before we started all this and her friendly, complimentary attitude, willingness to help, frequent check-ins and professionalism in these two weeks have made a great impression. I think we'll fit well if she decides to risk me.

Aprylwriter said:
you could always query other agents, or edit while you're waiting.

That's such a smart idea. I think I could distract myself if I send out a few more and catch up on some busy work for the project itself while I wait. Thanks!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
...the suspense is killing me!

I believe some agents keep you waiting just to let you know you're not a shoe in. And it cuts down on buyer's remorse. (The purchasing agents of my former employer did that to suppliers and contractors. Sometimes these people would call and make unrequested concessions, not realizing they already had the contract.)

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That makes sense, Julie. Am I a sicko for hoping so? I imagine this would also be a smart way for the agent to make sure a writer isn't demanding, rude, ignorant, unwilling to modify work, or slow to respond before getting saddled with him or her.

My hopes are already way too far up as it is, though, so I'm just going to assume for now that she really can't decide if I'm worth the time and energy. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. Hopefully soon enough to retain most of my sanity, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.