No More Limbo Limbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070420/ts_nm/pope_limbo_dc

The Roman Catholic Church has effectively buried the concept of limbo, the place where centuries of tradition and teaching held that babies who die without baptism went.

In a long-awaited document, the Church's International Theological Commission said limbo reflected an "unduly restrictive view of salvation."

The 41-page document was published on Friday by Origins, the documentary service of the U.S.-based Catholic News Service, which is part of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Pope Benedict, himself a top theologian who before his election in 2005 expressed doubts about limbo, authorized the publication of the document, called "The Hope of Salvation for Infants Who Die Without Being Baptised."

The verdict that limbo could now rest in peace had been expected for years. The document was seen as most likely the final word since limbo was never part of Church doctrine, even though it was taught to Catholics well into the 20th century.

"The conclusion of this study is that there are theological and liturgical reasons to hope that infants who die without baptism may be saved and brought into eternal happiness even if there is not an explicit teaching on this question found in revelation," it said.

"There are reasons to hope that God will save these infants precisely because it was not possible (to baptize them)."

This really might cut into the baptism business, but I think it was the right move.

**Mod, please change thread title to OTN "No More Limbo Limbo." I was so excited by the news that I hit the return button before properly titling although "Lelimbo, limbo" aint half bad.

You decide.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
In a stunning countermove, the Vatican council declared:

"While baptism is no longer required for infants, as soon as they are able to walk upright, they must be able to pass under a rod suspended no higher than 1/2 the length of their body, without making contact with the ground with any body part other than their feet."

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
The Roman Catholic Church has effectively buried the concept of limbo, the place where centuries of tradition and teaching held that babies who die without baptism went.

Now all babies are to report directly to Hell.

Thank you.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I was taught about purgatory in Catholic school in the 80s.

As a matter of fact, I was told by a nun that it might be the best I could hope for.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Is this just for new dead, unbaptized babies?

I mean, if you're an unbaptized dead baby who got dead BEFORE this decision, are you stuck in limbo that is now closed?

And if it's closed, does that mean that the cleaning ladies won't be showing up for work anymore? Those diapers won't change themselves y' know. And there'll be leakage, meaning the floors will need those big-buffing-vacuum-things more than ever.

And if this rezoning gives all the dead unbaptized babies a get-out-of-limbo-free-card, where will thay go? Is this gonna be like the end of the world where the dead unbaptized babies shall rise from limbo and take over the world (or however the rapture works).

Do they compensation? I mean, they got the short end of the stick for how many years?

I don't think the pope's thought this through.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
I would hate to have been that last dead, unbaptized baby that got sent to limbo while the next one in line got the E-ticket ride to heaven.

That would have sucked.

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought Limbo was ridiculous. The question, "what happens to an infant who does before s/he gets baptized?" is a good one. The baby still has original sin, but hasn't done anything wrong. But the logical answer would seem to be to bury the concept on original sin.

So...at what age does the free pass wears off?

Reaction score
But the logical answer would seem to be to bury the concept on original sin.

I think the logical answer would be to bury the concept of hell.

With an exception for violent crime offenders and genocidal dictators.

But come on, there are billions of souls burning down in some fiery pit for eternity because they didn't do something religiousy or whatever while on earth?

Pfffh.

Like I've said in the past, I don't want to worship a god who would send people to hell because they didn't believe in him or broke one of his rules.

If my religion is the "right religion" and I got to heaven and said "where are Stevie, and Danny and Marta and Sandy?" and he said "Hell. They didn't believe in Yutyiamism."

"They're all in hell for eternity?"

"Yep."

"You're an idiot. What is wrong with you?"

":Shrug:"

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Did Jesus come back and tell them these things already? Did I just miss the big conference?

"My dear followers, I just did a major remodeling of heaven and hell... and here are the instructions."

That just tells me how arbitrary religion is.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Did Jesus come back and tell them these things already? Did I just miss the big conference?

"My dear followers, I just did a major remodeling of heaven and hell... and here are the instructions."

That just tells me how arbitrary religion is.

Well, I believe that technically, the pope is the customer service rep for the local branch office. Supposedly he gets all the latest memo's direct for head office and relays them to the end users.

The bigger issue for me would be that if this is the case, the god-line rang and the big guy gave new instructions, surely by default, he's made a mistake and therefore not infallable.

Of course, this could just as equally prove, once and for all, that god is indeed a woman. You know what THEY are like for changing their minds.

Next we'll here Rush Limbaugh complaining that god is clearly a flip-flopping, bleeding-heart liberal. Which is gonna be a shock to all of us who have been told repeated that god has a "BUSH 04" bumper sticker on his Hummer.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I think the logical answer would be to bury the concept of hell.

:ROFL:

Billy, you are so right!

"People find it increasingly difficult to accept that God is just and merciful if he excludes infants, who have no personal sins, from eternal happiness, whether they are Christian or non-Christian," the document said.

I suppose they do NOT find it increasingly difficult to believe God is just and merciful when he sends adults to hell, because they were raised in another faith, and still managed to be good people?

And Maestro, I do see your point about how arbitrary religion is. But I am glad that the church has recognized that they have a stupid answer to a valid question. They have decided to change their position, rather than cling to a concept they don't really believe in to save face.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Religion is such a puzzle to me - and the fact that grown people spend their entire lives arguing about it is astonishing.

This limbo thing makes as much sense to me as, well, okay it makes no sense.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
This pretty much destroys my BABIES IN HELL graphic novel that I have spent the last 12 years developing.

Thanks a lot, Pope Benedict Arnold!

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Hold on one goddamn second-

Anonymous sources are now suggesting that there is a hidden rider to this declaration which re-classifies priest molestation as "The Helping Hand of God Absolution Deluxe Therapy Treatment"*.

I am sorry, but this is simply not acceptable even if little babies need to spend the rest of eternity in limbo.

* Green Tea enema not included.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was taught about purgatory in Catholic school in the 80s.

As a matter of fact, I was told by a nun that it might be the best I could hope for.

I was told the same thing by a priest.

He explained that the majority of the class were headed for purgatory, and that our dead relatives were mostly likely already residents being forced to suffer the tortures of this place. The clincher came when he informed us that it was almost as bad as hell, and that a day in purgatory felt like a thousand years, and we should expect a sentence of several thousand years (real years - out of the goodness of his heart our maths teacher later calculated for us how long we would actually be spending in this pleasuredome).

We came out of that class with a fresh spring in our step; we'd just discovered the meaning of life - total damnation.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I would hate to have been that last dead, unbaptized baby that got sent to limbo while the next one in line got the E-ticket ride to heaven.

That would have sucked.

This is the single greatest thing I've read in a while;)

Status
Not open for further replies.