Mercedes Lackey

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I bought my first book of hers in desperation in Alaska and went through it in a couple of hours. It seemed more like YA than adult fantasy, and was only mildly entertaining at best. This last Christmas I was given three of her books, and can say that her writing still comes far from impressing me.

Does anyone out there like her work? How does she have so many books published? Maybe I just have more mature tastes than the average reader? Her info dumps, annoying characters, oh-so-convenient plot "twists", and random motivations that make no sense just annoy me. Anyone else want to sound off on this?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I greatly enjoyed the Herald Mage trilogy (with ample M/M content). Since then it really hasn't done anything for me. Her later stuff seems almost rushed.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
What did I just read.... "The Winds of" trilogy, I guess.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Her early stuff was pretty good--I recall that she was doing stories about women heroines when fantasy was really starting to get into that. Sacred Ground is one of my favorites--it has some really fun characters in it like Mooncrow, and of course, a strong heroine, which I like. That one I still have because it's a book that I can return to and enjoy, though it does have some dated elements.

I disliked the Diane Tregrade series because the character came across as arrogant and obnoxious. There's one about a thief that I got halfway through before the book had me begging for mercy. The main character spoke in misspelled dialect throughout the book, and I spent so much time trying to translate it that it made it impossible to follow the story.

The Heralds series made me stop reading her books. She had built this great heroine up in the first two books, and then turned her into a helpless victim who needed to be rescued in the last book. I very nearly put the book down during a gruesome scene where the heroine's feet were crushed, but I kept hoping she would be able to save herself. No such luck, and I wasn't willing to spend any more money on her books.

Last edited:

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to set myself up for some flaming here and admit I like the entire Valdemar series. They're all read often; I like the characters, I like the world. I also liked "Firebird," a re-telling of a Russian fairytale.

The Elemental Masters series I wasn't as keen on, possibly because the couple I tried were set in modern times which I don't find as interesting.

I have found that I tend not to care for books she writes with co-authors.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Bard, no flaming from me, but I did have a hard time with Elspeth. She seems so contrary and obnoxious, just for the sake of being so. The entire premise of her Wind of trilogy is that she doesn't WANT to learn magic the way that her companion suggests, she wants to go haring off after a rumor of another way to learn. Seems ridiculous to me - like Lackey just needed a way to get her to the Hawkbrothers.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really fond of Elspeth or the Hawkbrothers, to tell you the truth, and found the Winds trilogy the weakest of the bunch. I greatly enjoyed the Storms trilogy, with Karal at the forefront, as well as Alberich and Vanyel from earlier stories.

Lackey is not the best writer out there; she's not the best storyteller I've ever come across, but something in her world makes me comfortable. When I'm exhausted or out of sorts, Valdemar provides the comfort I need.

Maybe deep down I wish I could have a Companion of my own?

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I agree BardSkye. Something about her world's just draws me, makes me feel at home. I do think though, that in some of her stories there's a lot of in-action which can get slow at points. But other than that, I like it. I mean, she's not one of my all-time favs, but I do enjoy her books.

I actually prefer her dragon riders series...shoot, what was it called. Jousters, Joust? Something like that.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Really? I bought the first two but lacked the interest to buy the third. I also bought the first of a co-authored trilogy, but now I can't even think of the name off-hand.

I still like Valdemar. I'd really like to see a couple of books that fill in the gaps between the three Herald Mage books.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I liked one of the books she co-authored with Andre Norton so much that I bought the first in the series later on. It took me several months to read the first in the series, because the first three chapters were roughly 30 pages long each. And they were pretty slow reading. The characters were interesting enough, but it just dragged through the first few chapters, and each chapter was excruciatingly long.

The books I am referring to are from The Halfblood Chronicles series. The one I really enjoyed was called Elvenborn, and the one I had lots of trouble with was entitled The Elvenbane.

Basically, I think Mercedes Lackey is a decent writer, but I find her stuff not so satisfying a read as I would like.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I think the big problem (and actually, the thing I like) about her books is that she spends of a lot of time detailing everyday life in her worlds (at least, that's what she did with the jousters books). That can drag after a while, if you're in the mood for a...can't think of another way to say this...but a story, really. Whereas, sometimes I just want to disappear into another world, and it's kind of fun to follow these characters around and share their lives. 'Course, you gotta be in a certain mood for that.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
I really miss her old stuff. *sniff*

Sadly, I haven't read a single thing of hers in years. I started to read a series and I just couldnt get into like I could in her first series. Makes me sad when that happens to an author I like. I feel let down in a way.

Patricia Cornwell is another one who kind of dropped the ball on her fans I believe. In my (undoubtedly ill-informed) opinion, it seems like Cornwell really lost it when she fired her first editor. I think the first book that followed the firing was 'The Hornets Nest'. I read that book after reading her scarpetta series and I totally felt ripped off. I have always wondered if her books developed that dark tone because she had a different editor, or if she just simply got lost in the dark side. It also brings to light another question. How much influence do editors really have over an author's work?

At any rate, I always hate it when authors I begin to know and love (and trust enough to purchase books from sight unseen!) disappoint with their latter work.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I agree BardSkye. Something about her world's just draws me, makes me feel at home. I do think though, that in some of her stories there's a lot of in-action which can get slow at points. But other than that, I like it. I mean, she's not one of my all-time favs, but I do enjoy her books.

I completely agree. There are books of hers that I am not extremely fond of but many of her books are like comfort food for me. Perhaps because I originally read them when I was fairly young? In particular I love to reread the Queen's Own trilogy. She definitely lacks action at some points but, she's one of my favorite writers when it comes to making non-action interesting.

I liked one of the books she co-authored with Andre Norton so much that I bought the first in the series later on. It took me several months to read the first in the series, because the first three chapters were roughly 30 pages long each. And they were pretty slow reading. The characters were interesting enough, but it just dragged through the first few chapters, and each chapter was excruciatingly long.

The books I am referring to are from The Halfblood Chronicles series. The one I really enjoyed was called Elvenborn, and the one I had lots of trouble with was entitled The Elvenbane.

Basically, I think Mercedes Lackey is a decent writer, but I find her stuff not so satisfying a read as I would like.

I really enjoyed the Halfblood Chronicles as well. They were a bit different from her other books but very enjoyable.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Snipped...

I really enjoyed the Halfblood Chronicles as well. They were a bit different from her other books but very enjoyable.

I read somewhere they were going to write a fourth installment, to follow after Elvenborn. I'm curious if they're still working on that piece. I liked Kyrtian a bundle; he was the kind of character that I seemed to identify with right away, and I'm hoping that if the fourth one comes out soon, I might be able to read more about him.

For all that I didn't like The Elvenbane because of its slowness, I can definitely say I liked Elvenborn because it was interesting, right away. The difference between the two books, is in their beginning chapters. The difference is like night and day to me.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't tried the Halfblood Chronicles yet. I'm going to the store soon, I think I might pick one up if the store's got it. It sounds good.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't tried the Halfblood series, though I might yet.

This afternoon I read "One Good Knight." And enjoyed it enough to look for any more in that world. I was particularly intrigued by her making all the old fantasy stereotypes a character of sorts, called Tradition. If Princess needs to be rescued from peril "Tradition" will do its best to ensure that she falls in love with said rescuer unless she fights really hard not to. "Tradition" acts more or less like magical weather systems.

This one isn't from her usual fantasy publisher; it's on Harlequin's Luna imprint.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I picked up the first two of the Jousters series - Joust and Alta - some time ago. Dragon on the cover, easiest way to make me buy a book. ;) Unfortunately, her dragons lack the one trait I require to fully enjoy such a story - intelligence. They were rather like large moody cats, if I recall. I couldn't bring myself to reread either of them.

I'd hoped Jousters would be better because of the Mage Wars series she co-wrote with Larry Dixon, which I picked up because of the gryphons on the cover. This trilogy I liked well enough. The Black Gryphon in particular was my favorite and I do reread it on occasion. Mainly because I like Skandranen and Amberdrake. And Gesten. :) They're fun books but I have to be in the right mood to read them.

The bottom line, I think she's all right but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy her books.

~DragonHeart~

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have the Gryphon series, and did read them, but found I just couldn't identify with any of the characters.

I'm presently re-reading Alta.