Why did I answer that phone call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Last academic year, I was working in a private school that I'd been with for four years. I was reasonably happy, but was getting no raises and in fact, due to restructuring the classes, they wanted to reduce my class load (and of course my salary).

I started hunting for a new job. I had four different offers. I kept hemming and hawing between the two top offers. One was with a school I'd taught at once a week and the principal really liked me a lot and wanted me a lot for a full time job. But he was offering less money than this other school that was trying to woo me.

I took the job with the other school, but at orientation, I saw they had clearly misrepresented what the school and administration was like (anyone who has never taught will be scratching their heads at this, but different schools are very different in the experience their teachers have in them.).

I tend to work best when I'm left to be independent with a set of goals. Just tell me what has to be accomplished. Offer advice occasionally, but otherwise, get out of my way and let me do my job. Other teachers love to have a principal who looks everything over and constantly gets deeply involved in their work.

I thought this school I'd accepted with was the kind I'd be comfortable with, but I saw very clearly from that first day at orientation that I'd made a tremendous mistake. I'm not going to go into all the details here, but trust me, I knew what was going on. I had two days until school started and I frantically called around.

The other school that I'd worked for in the past still wanted me and so I said, you know what, I know I made a mistake accepting this offer. I want to work with you instead. They took me on. I even worked for one day, but then the principal of
the school I'd originally signed with called me and was furious. I should never have even bothered to answer the phone when she called me, but I was trying to do the right thing and explain why I felt this was a mistake. She threatened to sue me if I didn't work for her this year. I kept telling her this was a mistake. I'm not the kind of teacher who would be a good choice there, but she forced me to work for her.

Well, I made the best of it.

In spite of her constant intrusions into the way she wanted my class to be run, I made the best of it, even defying her at one point because my students were begging and pleading with me about it (this was regarding how I gave notes to the kids. I wanted to put it on the board. She insisted they had to take notes purely from oral lectures. I've taught in high schools and even in high school, they put notes on the board. I understood her reasoning and I did try it her way, but after a week, I saw it was a disaster. I even tried to teach them how to take oral notes, but honestly, it's something that even college kids have trouble with. Twelve year olds just aren't sophisticated enough to know what to write down and what not to write down from a lecture. She absolutely patently refused to listen to reason and forced me to keep doing it her way. I had parents screaming at me during open school night because of it and I finally defied her and just put the notes on the board, to the relief of my students).

My 8th grade students by and large do hate me, but my 7th grade kids seem to mostly like me now. Things have been hard, but the majority of them do want me back for next year. Not that any of it matters to this woman.

The year is almost up and she's decided it's time for me to move on. She admitted that she only forced me to take the job because she was desperate. Trouble is, when I took this job, I had four offers based on a solid four year teaching career. Now I'm looking for a new job after leaving after only one year. It's ten times harder to find something now because of her actions.

I'm just livid at this woman. And what can I do about it? Jack. That's what.

Well, actually, I did write a story from it (I'll put it in SYW soon), but I'm still so upset and now I don't know what, if anything, I'll find.

OK, finished venting.

Oh, and I know this has very little to do with writing. Sorry if it's not the most appropriate thing to post here. Mods, if you feel the need to delete or move the thread, just let me know.

Eric

hnh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hollynicolehoxter.com
I don't have any helpful or insightful advice; I just wanted to say, what a wretched situation! So she was within her legal rights to "force" you to work at her school? That's messed up. Is there any chance that the other school can take you on now?

I don't see the story on SYW. I'd like to read it and decide if getting the story was worth your misery. ;) That's always how I evaluate my painful life experiences.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Eric...screw her! Get on with your career and don't even look back.

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind thoughts. I know it's not a writing rejection (I guess that's why most people here haven't had much to say about it), but I'm just so upset over the whole business.

Unfortunately, the other school as of now tells me they don't have something for me for September. The person they got to take the job they wanted me for left, but now they aren't certain they want someone in that position at all (it was basically a dean/assistant principal position as opposed to the straight teaching position I had this year).

I plan to contact the other two schools I had offers from and see if they are still interested at all. One in particular, in San Diego sounded like it could be a great opportunity, but at the time I didn't want to take the plunge of moving across the country.

Anyway, I'll put up the story shortly. I just like to give myself a bit of time between the time I write a story and the time I put it up on SYW because this way I can look it over and just see if it still makes sense to me or if it needs tweaking.

Oh, and regarding whether she could legally force me to work there, had it gone to court, my guess is that odds are, it would not have stood up in court, but the trouble was, when the school I wanted to work for found out that it could end up being a court battle, they decided they didn't want to get involved (which was probably what her intention was in threatening such anyway).

Edit: For those interested in seeing the story I wrote from the experience, here it is:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1282154#post1282154

Eric

Last edited:

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Eric, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. She sounds like a right nightmare. At least you got a good story out of it. That feeling when our hands are tied by another person or circumstances - horrid.

Hope the San Diego one works out.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
I'm sorry that this happened to you. I had a boss like that. I told herI wanted to leave and she actully begged me to stay promising that things would change. Yeah right! I should have walked as soon as I smelled trouble. As it was I waited until it was just too much to take and ended up quiting at 6 months pregnant just to get the hell out of there. She lied to the head office about why I had left and my work performance and now I can never work for the company again.

I'm still upset about this and it happened over a year ago. So I feel you.

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Well folks, my thanks to everyone who commented and helped me get over it.

I just wanted to offer an update to anyone interested:

I'm moving to Ohio next week. I landed a position at Ohio State University. Figuring the much lower cost of living there as opposed to New York, I'm making the equivalent of around three times what I was making here.

Of course I'm insanely busy packing my apartment up and preparing to run programs there (I'm the new Director of Jewish Student Life), but I'm actually feeling very happy about the whole thing.

Thanks again everyone.

Eric

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Eric! That sounds great. I've missed you around here. Good luck on the move and check in when you can.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! We still expect a story out of these experiences :)

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you have a fantastic time.

Status
Not open for further replies.