TV Doctors

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
So what is it about women and TV doctors? From the docs at St. Elsewhere to George Clooney to House to McDreamy...

Clue me in. Should I have become a doctor or played one on TV? :)

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Probably play one on tv - you aren't in school forever and the paycheck's probably bigger... not to mention the blood and vomit aren't real (at least, I don't think they are.) And if you screw up, they can reshoot. In reality, you might kill 'em. :D

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's the 'hotness' factor of the actors and the almost God-like power most people believe doctors wield.

As a long-time nurse, however, having seen doctors grow up from med students to the old grizzled pros, I'm not impressed with characters as tv doctors. I just go for the personality and looks. The medicine is always kinda weird.

Reaction score
Like black MLB players owe a debt to Jackie Robinson, all of our current and recent sexy TV doctors owe a debt to the man who broke the sexy TV doctor barrier.

He got it started for everyone.

God bless you, Robert Young AKA Marcus Welby M.D.

RobertYoungMarcusWelby.jpg

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
They're heroes and they know lots of long words. What's not to love? I like Dr Cox, because on top of the polysyllabic hero thing, he's angry, self-destructive and drinks too much...soul mate right there...sigh...

Thought: would Dr Who be as beloved (by women, not the geekhood), in his current, Tennant-ly incarnation, if he were Lieutenant Who?

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Well McDreamy is . . . McDreamy. That man is hot in a cuddly do me kinda way.

And call Dr Who what you want, he's still cool. I dig his jacket.

McDreamy has a girlie voice (ducks for cover). Well, he does.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know now isn't a good time to mention this, but I will, anyway. It was, geez, 15 or 16 years ago on Saturday Night Live when Alec Baldwin played a doc who mispronounced everything. Oh, I laughed myself to tears when he said something about the "anal canal," rhyming "canal" with "anal!"

Even now, I love watching "Quincy" because of how wrong it is, especially now--and yet, Jack Klugman delivered every line with such unbridled passion. Hilarious.

I agree with you, Kristie. I liked Dr. Carter. Except when they had to give him a drug problem. Meh. But I lurve Dr. House! What a tortured ass he is! Excellent combo of secret vulnerability and attitude.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
I have always had a thing for TV docs. It doesn't hurt that 99% of them are drop-dead gorgeous! McDreamy? Oh, hell yes. Dr. Kovac, Dr. House, The John Gage from Emergency (I know he wasn't a doctor, but still...) They can all save my life any day of the week.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
Paramedics are cool! I'm married to one!

My husband is a big fan of "Emergency!", too.

I am planning on getting seasons 1 and 2 on DVD when I get the money. I have several eps on tape from the marathon that Nick at Night did several years back.

Roy and Johnny... the best paramedics in LA! :D

And Ray? If you do play a doctor on TV... we'll all love you too! And stalk you... and... Uh, never mind. I can't reveal that part to you yet. :e2brows:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
See I'm a Dr. Carter fan (ER). Not only is he so sweet and smart (at the end of his stint he was THE go to guy), he is independently wealthy - but resents being independently wealthy (this is important because it means he isn't a snob. But you know, still has the cash).

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
As a guy, I can't stand Carter. I can understand the allure of Ross or even Kovac, but not Carter. He just seems like a whiny wimp to me...

Ming-Na did tell me that Noah Wyle was one of the nicest guys on the set.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
How was he whiny? He wasn't macho or anything, but once he became the only one of the original cast left he had all the status on the show. The go to doctor, the one who could do almost anything (sure the whole africa thing with Thandi Newton was annoying, but pre that I can't remember him being whiny).

Besides I am excellent at spoting the nice guys, I could tell he probably was pretty cool off set as well and I guess what Ming-Na told you verifies that (cool that you've met her). I like nice guys.