Tombstone movie question

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the non-liteary question, but I'm pressed for time and couldn't find the answer on IMDB.

In the movie Tombstone, when Johnny Ringo was in the saloon. Doc Holiday was doing that funky twirling thing with the silver cup. Who was the guy with Ringo, wearing the red shirt with the mustache?

Thanks. Gotta run.

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thank ya Ol' Girl. :)

I didn't recognize Power Booths as that guy. I was actually suprised to hear that it was him.

Is it just me, or was Doc Holliday's character a bit "nutty"?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Kilmer vs. Quaid makes for an interesting performance comparison.

Powers Boothe always adds something to a film. EXTREME PREJUDICE was a good modern Western.

-Derek

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Tough one to answer. The story could fit any genre, but I didn't think of the film in Western terms even tho' it has all the conventions, right up to the cavalry arriving at the end to save the day. :)

-Derek

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
That Kilmer didn't win Best Supporting Actor for the year Tombstone came out was a crime. The bigger crime was that neither he nor Dennis Quaid were even NOMINATED for Best Supporting Actor for that year. Both their performances (in Tombstone and Wyatt Earp, respectively) were far and away better than the other nominees'. I loved them both, but I have to give it to Kilmer by a huckleberry. ;)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Kilmer

I thought Kilmer portrayed Doc Holiday perfectly. Far better than any other portrayal I've seen. A wonderful performance.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That Kilmer didn't win Best Supporting Actor for the year Tombstone came out was a crime. The bigger crime was that neither he nor Dennis Quaid were even NOMINATED for Best Supporting Actor for that year. Both their performances (in Tombstone and Wyatt Earp, respectively) were far and away better than the other nominees'. I loved them both, but I have to give it to Kilmer by a huckleberry. ;)

Oh I definitely agree! I loved Val Kilmer in Tombstone. Great performance.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Kilmer was okay in Tombstone but I had a hard time buying any of the leads. They were a bit too young and bit too pretty.
Um, you're aware that Wyatt Earp was born in 1848? And that if he was in Tombstone in, say, 1880, that would make him ALL of 32? And Virgil would have been ALL of 37?

The actors were too OLD for the roles, other than Kilmer, not too young.

Oh, and Wyatt was considered an extremely handsome man for the day and age.

Tombstone (the movie) has a lot of historical inaccuracies in it (Wyatt Earp is pretty good on the historical aspect, just not as good as a movie), but Kurt Russell played younger just fine, I thought. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Tombstone sucked for historical accuracy (Curly Bill, IIRC, came after Ringo as the leader of the Cowboys and Ringo was found dead, apparently from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Kate (the Hungarian Anti-Christ) wasn't very accurate and neither was Maggie - but what a movie! Kilmer's Best Work Ever. He stole the show and provided me and Ol' Boy with many a quote to throw around. It's one of those movies I can watch over and over... and have. At least ten-fifteen times. Hence my ability to remember who was with Ringo in the Latin scene. :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Kilmer was okay in Tombstone but I had a hard time buying any of the leads. They were a bit too young and bit too pretty.

Well, no. If there was ever a perfect Wyatt Earp, it was [SIZE=-1]Kurt Russell. He was about the right age, maybe a little too old, and when young, Earp was considered quite a looker and lady's man.

And Russell has the eyes for it. The scene where he chases the crooked gambler out of the saloon was as perfect and realistic as I've ever seen, and it was his eyes that made it so.

Historically, the movie wasn't terribly accurate, but as people, the casting of all the Earps was as good as it gets.
[/SIZE]

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Tombstone sucked for historical accuracy (Curly Bill, IIRC, came after Ringo as the leader of the Cowboys and Ringo was found dead, apparently from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Kate (the Hungarian Anti-Christ) wasn't very accurate and neither was Maggie - but what a movie! Kilmer's Best Work Ever. He stole the show and provided me and Ol' Boy with many a quote to throw around. It's one of those movies I can watch over and over... and have. At least ten-fifteen times. Hence my ability to remember who was with Ringo in the Latin scene. :D

Well, in a sense, this movie did Ringo right. He was found dead, shot through the head, lying against a tree, but not many at the time thought the wound was self-inflicted.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Well, in a sense, this movie did Ringo right. He was found dead, shot through the head, lying against a tree, but not many at the time thought the wound was self-inflicted.
Right. And Doc Holliday was questioned about the death, but so were two or three other people. "Suicide" was a convenient way to say "we have no idea and don't care to try any longer".

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I don't think many mourned him and I doubt they spent a whole lotta time on it at all. The scene where he and Doc dance is about as juicy as they come, though. And 'You're no daisy. You're no daisy at all.' is a classic.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I would have to politely argue with Val Kilmer being the best Doc Holliday, tho' of course it's a matter of personal taste. Kirk Douglas's performance in Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957) is sublime; Vic Mature surprised everyone when they cast him opposite Henry Fonda in My Darling Clementine (1946); and Stacy Keach in 'Doc' (1971) made a fine job of the role. I'm not pretending to be some film fanatic who remembers everything and can quote lines from 'way back, but I remember these films and how the performances impressed me.

You've probably all seen this kind of stuff before, but there are nice capsule stories on the Old West Legends site. The Table of Contents link includes Outlaws & Gunslingers, among whom is John Henry "Doc" Holliday.

-Derek

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
After this thread, I felt the need to watch it again. For the first time in a long while.

I thought the exact opposite, Kurt Russell wasn't old and grizzled but I certainly wouldn't say he was young and pretty.
As for Sam Elliot (Virgil), I'm not sure anyone's ever called him young and pretty.
But that's just my opinion.

Well, in a sense, this movie did Ringo right.
I noticed a mildly interesting thing last night.
In the 'Latin' scene when Ringo shows off by twirling his pistol, you can see him twirling but you can see the actors face too. Does that mean the actor (I forget his name) is actually a trained gun-twirler?