writing novels in Movie Magic

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am working on several projects at the moment. I am writing 2 book proposals (one of which is simutanously written as a screenplay.) I started out writing my proposals in word. I looked at Movie Magic and noticed I can write novels too. SO I copied them into MM but I need to change some things butit won't let me. It seems to be locked. I can add new stuff but can't change them copied stuff.

Does anyone know how to sort this out? Or should I continue to write my book proposals in word?

Thanks
Kev.

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rainynightproductions.com
I've used MM for the last couple of years, but haven't experienced this problem. I did have some formatting issues bringing in scripts from Final Draft to MM. I've not tried bringing in any documents from Word. Give me a couple of days and I'll see if I can duplicate what's going on with your documents and what I can do to help.

KatYares

Long time lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katyares.com
Save your Word doc as an RTF file. Open the file in MM using the drop down file type RTF. When it asks click the button for all action. Then under format on the menu bar, load format and choose novel. This should allow you full editing power.

Kat

Last edited:

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Why are you writing your novel in Movie Magic? That's like using Excel to shine your shoes...:)

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Why are you writing your novel in Movie Magic? That's like using Excel to shine your shoes...:)

Just coz it has the format already in. Messing about with the format seems a lot of trouble. So if MM has the format why not use that.

This is my thinking! What would you recomend??

Kevvers

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I remember looking at the MM2000 novel template (the one with the instructions) way back when, and thinking it seemed kinda complicated.

If you've already got MS Word, why make the effort of changing to something else? If you didn't have Word or another word processor then sure, I can see the sense in using MM2000 in novel mode.

I appreciate you asked your original question back in April -- it's probably moot by now.

-Derek

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Just coz it has the format already in. Messing about with the format seems a lot of trouble. So if MM has the format why not use that.

This is my thinking! What would you recomend??

Kevvers

There can be only one! MS Word. It really, really does everything. And believe me I can't stand Microsoft's business ethos or technical strategy. I'm heading towards a Mac, I can feel it, but I suspect MS Word will follow me there, despite the fact it doesn't work as well on a Mac.

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently using MM to write my novel, and so far so good. It allows me to do everything that I've need to do to this point, and I have but two chapters to go. What I think I may have trouble with is, how to convert to PDF. Does anyone know?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
File > Print > change "Print Normally to Printer" to "Create PDF"

You can also File > Save As > Rich Text Format if you want to import to another word processor.

-Derek

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
I believe your response was to me. If so, thanks alot. I have about 2 chapters to go.
File > Print > change "Print Normally to Printer" to "Create PDF"

You can also File > Save As > Rich Text Format if you want to import to another word processor.

-Derek

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
OH YES! The features are awesome. I haven't used Word, but MM allows you go automatically begin a new chapter, go back and add a page to an existing chapter, automatically set your margins and headers/footers/pagination, and spell check as you go. There's a host of other features it has; but again, I don't know what Word does to make a comparison. Hope this helps.
Does MM let you write chapter by chapter? Or is it just like Word?

the_Unknown

Drinking your story's blood...
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer Open Office.

It's like MS Word without all of the bullshit and it's free and regularly updated.

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
That's great to know. A couple of my friends have asked me about my software. I'll share what you've posted with them. Thanks.
I prefer Open Office.

It's like MS Word without all of the bullshit and it's free and regularly updated.

Brendon Jacobs

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay first of all Kosh, I like your picture.
Second of all, I wrote/ re-writing a book and I'm being told it's more movie or TV-Series material...now what?