American Idol- Top Seven

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's time to rank the idols. Country week brought some surprises for me.

Based on THIS week only:

1. Melinda: My girl knocked one out of the park!
2. Phil: I'm amazed. If I closed my eyes, it was good. This is totally his genre.
3. Jordin: Little girl can blow!
4. Blake: Yes, I know. I can hardly believe it myself. It was just okay.
5. LaKisha: I still love her, but she was shouting
6. Chris R: Bad
7. Sanjaya: Back to the bottom. Blech.

Who Should Go: Sanjaya
Who Will Go: Chris R.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
SPOILERS for West Coast:

Have I mentioned I dislike country. I'll try not to let it color my opinions of the singing.

1. Melinda: LOL, her story about the fan was hilarious. She seems to be going for a younger style today. It didn't show off her voice as well as the songs that Simon says are "too old," but she still sang wonderfully, and again, I enjoyed seeing her have fun.

2. Jordin: Hated the song, didn't like the dress, but judging her performance, Jordin definitely "brought it." She showed she can definitely show emotion in her performances, belt out parts without yelling, and just plain sing beautifully.

3. Phil: I thought this was pretty good. Agree with the judges that he showed some personality. If I listened to country, this would be a performance I would pay attention to, unlike his previous performances which were good vocally, but uninteresting.

4. Blake: I just wasn't into this song at all. Blake was good vocally, but the performance as a whole wasn't exciting.

5. Chris: Carrie Underwood followed by Rascal Flatts <groans> Wow, he countrified his voice pretty well. That said, this was a pretty solid performance, though I wasn't sure the fiddle wasn't off-key at a point or two... coulda been him, but I think it was the fiddle, or just some disharmony in the song itself. I wondered if the judges' problem with the "nasal" singing was related to the twang he added, but it might just be Chris (I definitely have heard people describe him as "nasal" before). My cynical self wonders how sincerely he felt the need to mention VT, or if it was an attempt to promote a good image (after all, everyone who had one mention the "personal/sympathy vote" type things they had last week, and I don't think Chris has one). Actually, I think he is from Virginia and had friends there, and I'm sure that made this performance hard, but he still kinda seemed to be using the situation to say, "This is why I did bad, so feel sorry for me."

6. LaKisha: Oh, that's "Jesus take the Wheel." Gutsy to do a previous AI's song. I had trouble understanding the middle, and the dancing was strange, since it seemed so sad at the beginning. Don't like the song at all, even for a country song, but Randy said it had some pitch problems so maybe that was the problem. Disappointed with LaKisha's performances the last couple of weeks, but I hope she's not left behind because of Sanjaya.

7. Sanjaya: Thank goodness AI classifies Bonnie Raitt as country. And an appropriate title for Sanjaya. He's gone back to his Justin Guarini hair though. We're back to the same old Sanjaya kind of performance, I think. Paula totally called Sanjaya on the "thriving on" the VFTW stuff. And Simon finally alluded to the fact that it's all so stupid.

Weird timing from Simon on the VT mention..., unless Blake was somehow affected personally. Would have been better at the beginning or before/after a break instead of as a tag onto Blake's commentary.

Who should go: Sanjaya
Who might go instead: LaKisha, possibly Chris

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SPOILERS for West Coast:

Weird timing from Simon on the VT mention..., unless Blake was somehow affected personally. Would have been better at the beginning or before/after a break instead of as a tag onto Blake's commentary.

Who should go: Sanjaya
Who might go instead: LaKisha, possibly Chris

Yeah, I thought it was a little odd. But I know there is conversation and such that we don't see and things we don't know. Maybe he has friends at the school or something.

Reaction score

Goodbye tomorrow, Chris.

And then finally next week will be Sanjaya's time to go.

Or maybe we'll get lucky and this will reverse.

But I think it's adios, Chris and then adios Sanjaya.

Jordin Sparks gave one of the best performances of the season tonight.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
6. LaKisha: Oh, that's "Jesus take the Wheel." Gutsy to do a previous AI's song. I had trouble understanding the middle, and the dancing was strange, since it seemed so sad at the beginning. Don't like the song at all, even for a country song,

Trust me: that wasn't "Jesus Take the Wheel" ;) Bad song for Lakisha, and she did a bad job of it!

I thought Chris' comments about VT massacre were either his hurried attempt to say something he'd really felt about it ... or a pretty despicable dodge to win voters' respect while Simon was criticizing him. He utterly sucked, I thought.

I'm glad others actually gave Phil some approval (though Simon got his barbed "though it may not be enough to save you" in, didn't he) ... I liked it.

Voted for PHIL, and tonite is the first time I had to WAIT for his line to be not-busy! Woohoo! Someone ELSE voted for Phil!!!

I think JORDIN is the new Lakisha. Jordin was GREAT tonite. It should've been between Melinda and Lakisha at the end (would've bet that at the start too) ... but Lakisha is SELF-DESTRUCTING with lousy song choice!

I'm thinking Jordin/Melinda ... Melinda wins it.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I thought LaKisha really, really messed up on "Jesus Take the Wheel." Carrie Underwood does a wonderful job of it. I so hope Sanjaya goes home tomorrow night. I'm sick of him. He's just playing it up, and it's time for him to go. I think Chris was really heartfelt about VT, because he had tears in his eyes.

My order:

1. Jordin -- She was awesome. I love that song, and I love, love, love Martina McBride. I've never heard someone else sing it as well as she does, but Jordin brought it.

2. Melinda -- I just love her. I had never heard that song before, but she did a great job.

3. Phil -- If I could just get past his looks, I might be able to like him more. He did a really good job with this song.

4. Blake -- It was just all right for me. I didn't think it was great. I love Tim McGraw's version of it, though, so that might have influenced me a little bit.

5. Chris -- I like the song he sang, but I'm getting a bit tired of his nasally voice.

6. LaKisha -- I can't believe I'm putting her here, but she really did mess up on that song.

7. Sanjaya -- Do I need to say anymore?

Oh, and again, I'll say that I love, love, love Martina McBride and can't wait to see her perform tomorrow night. Her current song is wonderful.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's funny -- seems like that Sanjaya guy is going to make it to top five at least. If he wins, American Idol will be ruined.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Lakisha sucked tonight...I hate to say it but she could be in trouble.

Melinda, Phil, and Jordin were all excellent. I think the three of them are safe for another week.

Blake was pretty good...he's been my favorite but this week was just okay for me.

Chris has bugged me all along and this week was no different...I think he'll be bottom 3. Or at least he should be.

That leaves Sanjaya. I can't even comment. There's just nothing to say about this guy.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
It's time to rank the idols. Country week brought some surprises for me.

Based on THIS week only:

1. Melinda: My girl knocked one out of the park!
2. Phil: I'm amazed. If I closed my eyes, it was good. This is totally his genre.
3. Jordin: Little girl can blow!
4. Blake: Yes, I know. I can hardly believe it myself. It was just okay.
5. LaKisha: I still love her, but she was shouting
6. Chris R: Bad
7. Sanjaya: Back to the bottom. Blech.

Who Should Go: Sanjaya
Who Will Go: Chris R.
Exactly what I thought.

I hope tonight they don't do the cheap stunt they did two seasons ago this week (can't remember if they did it last season, I just remember Bo Bice refusing to play) -- the one where Ryan tells two people to stand over here, and two to stand over there, and two more to stand over there, then says one of these groups is the bottom three and asks the last person which group they'd choose to stand with. :crazy: (Or...something like that....can't remember how they do it exactly but I know they wanted to make Bo choose and he wouldn't.) Anyway. They better not do that tonight.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought.

I hope tonight they don't do the cheap stunt they did two seasons ago this week (can't remember if they did it last season, I just remember Bo Bice refusing to play) -- the one where Ryan tells two people to stand over here, and two to stand over there, and two more to stand over there, then says one of these groups is the bottom three and asks the last person which group they'd choose to stand with. :crazy: (Or...something like that....can't remember how they do it exactly but I know they wanted to make Bo choose and he wouldn't.) Anyway. They better not do that tonight.

They also did that to someone in season 3. I think his name was George or something. He actually did choose and chose the wrong group.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
If Sanjaya goes on stage and detonates a small nuclear device, he might be voted off. And even then, it's maybe. Of course it's our own fault. Why do we, as adults, let our daughters anywhere near a telephone? Not just this month, but ever? It only disrupts The Force...

So he'll be safe again tonight ('bye Chris!)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
1) Jordin (stunning)
2)Melinda (fantastic)
3) Phil (finally he reminds us why he is in this game, still creepy, but good to see him use his voice on a good song well suited to him.)
4) Blake (I like him a lot and I liked the song, it just wasn't a powerhouse performance)
5)LaKisha (bad song, over rated, I think she is falling behind Jordin quite significantly)
6) Chris (his whiney voice irritates me)
7) Sanjaya ( it was absolutely painful. I've heard that song sung in karaoke at the local bar done more professionally than that.)

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
They also did that to someone in season 3. I think his name was George or something. He actually did choose and chose the wrong group.
Ooh, good memory, I forgot about that! :Thumbs: I think you're right, I think it was George Huff.

Paul S Cilwa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcilwa.com
Chris is from Virginia, and I believe his tribute to VT was heartfelt. He wasn't given any other chance to talk, remember, and I think he really felt the need to say something.

When he did, the camera caught Simon rolling his eyes like he did when someone (Lekisha?) a few weeks ago wished her daughter a happy birthday. Simon always thinks the worst of people, so he assumed Chris was plugging for votes. During the commercial, I'm certain a producer ran to Simon and pointed out people would think the eye-roll was about VT, not Chris. That's why, in the following segment, Simon had to make good--without admitting fault or making it worse.

I can't believe I'm posting about American Idol!

Reaction score
When he did, the camera caught Simon rolling his eyes like he did when someone (Lekisha?) a few weeks ago wished her daughter a happy birthday. Simon always thinks the worst of people, so he assumed Chris was plugging for votes. During the commercial, I'm certain a producer ran to Simon and pointed out people would think the eye-roll was about VT, not Chris. That's why, in the following segment, Simon had to make good--without admitting fault or making it worse.

I'm quite sure that you got that Simon rolling/Producer running up/Simon saying something thing 100% right.

I saw it. I said "uh oh, Simon's got some probs" and then I saw the Simon "our sympathies go out" thing and thought exactly what you thought.

Maybe he'll do another apology tonight. Maybe he'll be fired given the lynch mob mentality we have in this country if something says or does something wrong or "offensive."

I still think the eye roll was more about the "I sing nasal on purpose" part of the Chris critique with a twist of "oh, now he's going to deflect his critique by bringing up VT."

I don't really have a big problem with that eye roll with the way it went down.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought.

Oh, gods, that's horrible. I hope they don't do it (or if they do, it's Sanjaya who has to choose. That would actually be kinda funny). There's really no way to win in that situation. Even if you choose the good people (which I assume is the point), the people on the bottom dislike you 'cuz you clearly think they suck, & the audience thinks you think you're so hot that you can stand with the group of the better singer. Yeah, it just sucks.

Yeah, that's what I heard on the radio today. I didn't even see the eye roll (was too busy trying to figure out the abrupt change in topic, I think. Nasally voice --> VT, huh?)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Without spoiling, I will say that except for one little thing, this ep's going pretty well.

Reaction score
*********BIG SPOILER BELOW*****

**********SPOILER WARNING************

******SPOIL*********

Our long national nightmare is over.

Thank god.

.....***spoiler above*****

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MORE BIG SPOILER NEWS

BUH-BYE, SANJAYA! Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: