PDA

View Full Version : American Idol- Top Seven

Soccer Mom
04-18-2007, 05:22 AM
It's time to rank the idols. Country week brought some surprises for me.

Based on THIS week only:

1. Melinda: My girl knocked one out of the park!
2. Phil: I'm amazed. If I closed my eyes, it was good. This is totally his genre.
3. Jordin: Little girl can blow!
4. Blake: Yes, I know. I can hardly believe it myself. It was just okay.
5. LaKisha: I still love her, but she was shouting
6. Chris R: Bad
7. Sanjaya: Back to the bottom. Blech.

Who Should Go: Sanjaya
Who Will Go: Chris R.

czjaba
04-18-2007, 05:36 AM
I am just wondering why Sanjaya is still there.

Sage
04-18-2007, 05:47 AM
SPOILERS for West Coast:

Have I mentioned I dislike country. I'll try not to let it color my opinions of the singing.

1. Melinda: LOL, her story about the fan was hilarious. She seems to be going for a younger style today. It didn't show off her voice as well as the songs that Simon says are "too old," but she still sang wonderfully, and again, I enjoyed seeing her have fun.

2. Jordin: Hated the song, didn't like the dress, but judging her performance, Jordin definitely "brought it." She showed she can definitely show emotion in her performances, belt out parts without yelling, and just plain sing beautifully.

3. Phil: I thought this was pretty good. Agree with the judges that he showed some personality. If I listened to country, this would be a performance I would pay attention to, unlike his previous performances which were good vocally, but uninteresting.

4. Blake: I just wasn't into this song at all. Blake was good vocally, but the performance as a whole wasn't exciting.

5. Chris: Carrie Underwood followed by Rascal Flatts <groans> Wow, he countrified his voice pretty well. That said, this was a pretty solid performance, though I wasn't sure the fiddle wasn't off-key at a point or two... coulda been him, but I think it was the fiddle, or just some disharmony in the song itself. I wondered if the judges' problem with the "nasal" singing was related to the twang he added, but it might just be Chris (I definitely have heard people describe him as "nasal" before). My cynical self wonders how sincerely he felt the need to mention VT, or if it was an attempt to promote a good image (after all, everyone who had one mention the "personal/sympathy vote" type things they had last week, and I don't think Chris has one). Actually, I think he is from Virginia and had friends there, and I'm sure that made this performance hard, but he still kinda seemed to be using the situation to say, "This is why I did bad, so feel sorry for me."

6. LaKisha: Oh, that's "Jesus take the Wheel." Gutsy to do a previous AI's song. I had trouble understanding the middle, and the dancing was strange, since it seemed so sad at the beginning. Don't like the song at all, even for a country song, but Randy said it had some pitch problems so maybe that was the problem. Disappointed with LaKisha's performances the last couple of weeks, but I hope she's not left behind because of Sanjaya.

7. Sanjaya: Thank goodness AI classifies Bonnie Raitt as country. And an appropriate title for Sanjaya. He's gone back to his Justin Guarini hair though. We're back to the same old Sanjaya kind of performance, I think. Paula totally called Sanjaya on the "thriving on" the VFTW stuff. And Simon finally alluded to the fact that it's all so stupid.

Weird timing from Simon on the VT mention..., unless Blake was somehow affected personally. Would have been better at the beginning or before/after a break instead of as a tag onto Blake's commentary.

Who should go: Sanjaya
Who might go instead: LaKisha, possibly Chris

Soccer Mom
04-18-2007, 07:10 AM
SPOILERS for West Coast:

Weird timing from Simon on the VT mention..., unless Blake was somehow affected personally. Would have been better at the beginning or before/after a break instead of as a tag onto Blake's commentary.

Who should go: Sanjaya
Who might go instead: LaKisha, possibly Chris

Yeah, I thought it was a little odd. But I know there is conversation and such that we don't see and things we don't know. Maybe he has friends at the school or something.

billythrilly7th
04-18-2007, 07:24 AM

Goodbye tomorrow, Chris.

And then finally next week will be Sanjaya's time to go.

Or maybe we'll get lucky and this will reverse.

But I think it's adios, Chris and then adios Sanjaya.

Jordin Sparks gave one of the best performances of the season tonight.

small axe
04-18-2007, 07:28 AM
6. LaKisha: Oh, that's "Jesus take the Wheel." Gutsy to do a previous AI's song. I had trouble understanding the middle, and the dancing was strange, since it seemed so sad at the beginning. Don't like the song at all, even for a country song,

Trust me: that wasn't "Jesus Take the Wheel" ;) Bad song for Lakisha, and she did a bad job of it!

I thought Chris' comments about VT massacre were either his hurried attempt to say something he'd really felt about it ... or a pretty despicable dodge to win voters' respect while Simon was criticizing him. He utterly sucked, I thought.

I'm glad others actually gave Phil some approval (though Simon got his barbed "though it may not be enough to save you" in, didn't he) ... I liked it.

Voted for PHIL, and tonite is the first time I had to WAIT for his line to be not-busy! Woohoo! Someone ELSE voted for Phil!!!

I think JORDIN is the new Lakisha. Jordin was GREAT tonite. It should've been between Melinda and Lakisha at the end (would've bet that at the start too) ... but Lakisha is SELF-DESTRUCTING with lousy song choice!

I'm thinking Jordin/Melinda ... Melinda wins it.

Southern_girl29
04-18-2007, 07:52 AM
I thought LaKisha really, really messed up on "Jesus Take the Wheel." Carrie Underwood does a wonderful job of it. I so hope Sanjaya goes home tomorrow night. I'm sick of him. He's just playing it up, and it's time for him to go. I think Chris was really heartfelt about VT, because he had tears in his eyes.

My order:

1. Jordin -- She was awesome. I love that song, and I love, love, love Martina McBride. I've never heard someone else sing it as well as she does, but Jordin brought it.

2. Melinda -- I just love her. I had never heard that song before, but she did a great job.

3. Phil -- If I could just get past his looks, I might be able to like him more. He did a really good job with this song.

4. Blake -- It was just all right for me. I didn't think it was great. I love Tim McGraw's version of it, though, so that might have influenced me a little bit.

5. Chris -- I like the song he sang, but I'm getting a bit tired of his nasally voice.

6. LaKisha -- I can't believe I'm putting her here, but she really did mess up on that song.

7. Sanjaya -- Do I need to say anymore?

Oh, and again, I'll say that I love, love, love Martina McBride and can't wait to see her perform tomorrow night. Her current song is wonderful.

maestrowork
04-18-2007, 12:31 PM
It's funny -- seems like that Sanjaya guy is going to make it to top five at least. If he wins, American Idol will be ruined.

kristie911
04-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Lakisha sucked tonight...I hate to say it but she could be in trouble.

Melinda, Phil, and Jordin were all excellent. I think the three of them are safe for another week.

Blake was pretty good...he's been my favorite but this week was just okay for me.

Chris has bugged me all along and this week was no different...I think he'll be bottom 3. Or at least he should be.

That leaves Sanjaya. I can't even comment. There's just nothing to say about this guy.

moth
04-18-2007, 06:13 PM
It's time to rank the idols. Country week brought some surprises for me.

Based on THIS week only:

1. Melinda: My girl knocked one out of the park!
2. Phil: I'm amazed. If I closed my eyes, it was good. This is totally his genre.
3. Jordin: Little girl can blow!
4. Blake: Yes, I know. I can hardly believe it myself. It was just okay.
5. LaKisha: I still love her, but she was shouting
6. Chris R: Bad
7. Sanjaya: Back to the bottom. Blech.

Who Should Go: Sanjaya
Who Will Go: Chris R.
Exactly what I thought.

I hope tonight they don't do the cheap stunt they did two seasons ago this week (can't remember if they did it last season, I just remember Bo Bice refusing to play) -- the one where Ryan tells two people to stand over here, and two to stand over there, and two more to stand over there, then says one of these groups is the bottom three and asks the last person which group they'd choose to stand with. :crazy: (Or...something like that....can't remember how they do it exactly but I know they wanted to make Bo choose and he wouldn't.) Anyway. They better not do that tonight.

Southern_girl29
04-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Exactly what I thought.

I hope tonight they don't do the cheap stunt they did two seasons ago this week (can't remember if they did it last season, I just remember Bo Bice refusing to play) -- the one where Ryan tells two people to stand over here, and two to stand over there, and two more to stand over there, then says one of these groups is the bottom three and asks the last person which group they'd choose to stand with. :crazy: (Or...something like that....can't remember how they do it exactly but I know they wanted to make Bo choose and he wouldn't.) Anyway. They better not do that tonight.

They also did that to someone in season 3. I think his name was George or something. He actually did choose and chose the wrong group.

Meerkat
04-18-2007, 07:55 PM
If Sanjaya goes on stage and detonates a small nuclear device, he might be voted off. And even then, it's maybe. Of course it's our own fault. Why do we, as adults, let our daughters anywhere near a telephone? Not just this month, but ever? It only disrupts The Force...

So he'll be safe again tonight ('bye Chris!)

Stew21
04-18-2007, 08:07 PM
1) Jordin (stunning)
2)Melinda (fantastic)
3) Phil (finally he reminds us why he is in this game, still creepy, but good to see him use his voice on a good song well suited to him.)
4) Blake (I like him a lot and I liked the song, it just wasn't a powerhouse performance)
5)LaKisha (bad song, over rated, I think she is falling behind Jordin quite significantly)
6) Chris (his whiney voice irritates me)
7) Sanjaya ( it was absolutely painful. I've heard that song sung in karaoke at the local bar done more professionally than that.)

moth
04-18-2007, 09:37 PM
They also did that to someone in season 3. I think his name was George or something. He actually did choose and chose the wrong group.
Ooh, good memory, I forgot about that! :Thumbs: I think you're right, I think it was George Huff.

Paul S Cilwa
04-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Chris is from Virginia, and I believe his tribute to VT was heartfelt. He wasn't given any other chance to talk, remember, and I think he really felt the need to say something.

When he did, the camera caught Simon rolling his eyes like he did when someone (Lekisha?) a few weeks ago wished her daughter a happy birthday. Simon always thinks the worst of people, so he assumed Chris was plugging for votes. During the commercial, I'm certain a producer ran to Simon and pointed out people would think the eye-roll was about VT, not Chris. That's why, in the following segment, Simon had to make good--without admitting fault or making it worse.

I can't believe I'm posting about American Idol!

Julie Worth
04-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Shouldn't there be a poll?

billythrilly7th
04-18-2007, 11:29 PM
When he did, the camera caught Simon rolling his eyes like he did when someone (Lekisha?) a few weeks ago wished her daughter a happy birthday. Simon always thinks the worst of people, so he assumed Chris was plugging for votes. During the commercial, I'm certain a producer ran to Simon and pointed out people would think the eye-roll was about VT, not Chris. That's why, in the following segment, Simon had to make good--without admitting fault or making it worse.

I'm quite sure that you got that Simon rolling/Producer running up/Simon saying something thing 100% right.

I saw it. I said "uh oh, Simon's got some probs" and then I saw the Simon "our sympathies go out" thing and thought exactly what you thought.

Maybe he'll do another apology tonight. Maybe he'll be fired given the lynch mob mentality we have in this country if something says or does something wrong or "offensive."

I still think the eye roll was more about the "I sing nasal on purpose" part of the Chris critique with a twist of "oh, now he's going to deflect his critique by bringing up VT."

I don't really have a big problem with that eye roll with the way it went down.

Julie Worth
04-18-2007, 11:57 PM
I still think the eye roll was more about the "I sing nasal on purpose" part of the Chris critique with a twist of "oh, now he's going to deflect his critique by bringing up VT."

Simon Cowell explains the eye roll (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-wk-cowell19apr19,1,823586.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews)

Sage
04-19-2007, 03:22 AM
Exactly what I thought.

I hope tonight they don't do the cheap stunt they did two seasons ago this week (can't remember if they did it last season, I just remember Bo Bice refusing to play) -- the one where Ryan tells two people to stand over here, and two to stand over there, and two more to stand over there, then says one of these groups is the bottom three and asks the last person which group they'd choose to stand with. :crazy: (Or...something like that....can't remember how they do it exactly but I know they wanted to make Bo choose and he wouldn't.) Anyway. They better not do that tonight.Oh, gods, that's horrible. I hope they don't do it (or if they do, it's Sanjaya who has to choose. That would actually be kinda funny). There's really no way to win in that situation. Even if you choose the good people (which I assume is the point), the people on the bottom dislike you 'cuz you clearly think they suck, & the audience thinks you think you're so hot that you can stand with the group of the better singer. Yeah, it just sucks.

Simon Cowell explains the eye roll (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-wk-cowell19apr19,1,823586.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews)
Yeah, that's what I heard on the radio today. I didn't even see the eye roll (was too busy trying to figure out the abrupt change in topic, I think. Nasally voice --> VT, huh?)

Sage
04-19-2007, 05:37 AM
Without spoiling, I will say that except for one little thing, this ep's going pretty well.

billythrilly7th
04-19-2007, 06:01 AM
*********BIG SPOILER BELOW*****

**********SPOILER WARNING************

******SPOIL*********

Our long national nightmare is over.

Thank god.

.....***spoiler above*****

Sage
04-19-2007, 06:03 AM
Amen. :D

maestrowork
04-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Let me guess (didn't watch)... that Sanjaya made it to top six.

Soccer Mom
04-19-2007, 06:04 AM
MORE BIG SPOILER NEWS

BUH-BYE, SANJAYA! Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

kristie911
04-19-2007, 06:20 AM
May I just say...

:Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

and

:PartySmil :PartySmil :PartySmil :PartySmil

It's about frickin' time!

Southern_girl29
04-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Another spoiler

I shouted so loud when they said Sanjaya was going home, I scared my daughter to death. She jumped a foot. I had so been expecting them to say LaKisha was going home. When they didn't, I just had to shout. I still think a perfect bottom four would be Melinda, Jordin, LaKisha and Blake.

And, I got to see why I love Martina McBride so much again. She's just great. I also love the way Melinda just sat down right in the middle

Sage
04-19-2007, 07:43 AM
I still think a perfect bottom four would be Melinda, Jordin, LaKisha and Blake. You meant top four, right?

Southern_girl29
04-19-2007, 08:22 AM
You meant top four, right?

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry.

small axe
04-19-2007, 08:54 AM
I still think a perfect bottom four would be Melinda, Jordin, LaKisha and Blake.

No, Antonella was the perfect bottom, and Halley had the legs. :) Pervert.

I was scared when it became Lakisha vs Sanjaya, because I thought "this is where the idiot voters ruin American Idol, by throwing off a great singer instead of a tweener hormonal heart-puddle"

Luckily, no.

But Lakisha better think long and hard "How do I pick the right songs to sing?" Tonite was her wake up call, or she's taking the long sleep.

billythrilly7th
04-19-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm rooting for Jordin.

Doolitle annoys the hell out of me with her phony humblicity and the annoying earnestness like when she was looking at martina mcbride sing.

"Ohhhh, martina, so wonderful...I'm so touched."

Shut up with those looks!

Lakisha has zero personality. A dud.

Richardson is awful.

Phil is an alien.

Blake is okay. I can live with him winning.

Bur Jordin. I saw some magic in that old silk hat she wore last night.

louisgodwin
04-19-2007, 09:51 AM
I was just so glad to see Sanjaya finally go home. It took way too damn long.

maestrowork
04-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Is Sanjaya the most hated Idoler this season?

moth
04-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Oh, gods, that's horrible. I hope they don't do it (or if they do, it's Sanjaya who has to choose. That would actually be kinda funny).
lol, that's what I was thinking. That if they do do it, it should be Sanjaya choosing.

There's really no way to win in that situation. Even if you choose the good people (which I assume is the point), the people on the bottom dislike you 'cuz you clearly think they suck, & the audience thinks you think you're so hot that you can stand with the group of the better singer. Yeah, it just sucks.
I was yelling at the TV, "Do what Bo did, just stand there and refuse to move!" and then she did me one better and sat down. :D Good for Melinda, nothing but class.

And *whew.* It's not the last we'll see of Sanjaya, and I do wish him well, but at least order has been restored to the AI galaxy. Partly anyway.

maestrowork
04-19-2007, 05:26 PM
This just in: Sanjaya will appear in the next installment of Dancing with the Stars.

Sage
04-19-2007, 09:07 PM
This just in: Sanjaya will appear in the next installment of Dancing with the Stars.
Really? That'd be funny (but then again, i don't watch it).

But, truely, this was the best results show I've ever seen for AI. And not just because Sanjaya was booted off. That was just icing on the cake. I enjoyed the response to Simon's "eye rolling controversy." It wasn't just, "Oh, no, now that I realize the backlash this is having, I'm going to say you all misunderstood the situation," it was, "You misunderstood the situation, & here, you can see for yourself what was going on at the time." I enjoyed Fergie's song, & I don't even usually like her. I wish she sang the musical songs on the radio, instead of the ones where she tends to chant/rap/have a spelling bee. I enjoyed Melinda's response to Ryan's game. And even though I wish Blake's & Chris's positions had been switched, I think Chris's votes were a fluke caused by the VT shout out & Simon's "eye roll," so I'm not worried about Blake (& wasn't really when he was on stage). Oh, yeah, & Sanjaya's "Let's give them something to talk about other than hair," was hilarious, & prolly the best thing he's done performance-wise.

All in all, it was the first time that I had more fun watching the results show than the ep before (the fact that it was country this week, prolly helped).