A strange little experience

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I had a strange little experience last night that has me wondering.

I was sound asleep, although I'm a fairly light sleeper. Little noises tend to wake me up. One did, a scritchyscratching at my bedroom door. I was in the middle a vivid dream about being somewhere in an unfamiliar house or building. Dimly, I recognized that the sound was that of my youngest and stupidest cat, who is baffled by doors, and wanted out of the bedroom, but had managed to push the door shut rather than simply exit through the eight-inch opening I'd left for her convenience. It has happened before; she has the learning capacity of a goldfish, good thing she's otherwise charming. I got up, in the pitch dark, intending to take the five or six familiar steps to open the door. But – I was in a strange place, a room I didn't know. I banged into two different walls of this odd place, walls that weren't familiar to me at all, that were in the wrong places.

I felt my way back to the bed, found the lamp (it was not quite in the right place, either), and switched it on. Only then did all the normal framework of my bedroom return. I opened the door, let the beast out, switched off the light and went back to bed, only to lie awake for at least an hour. There had been ten or fifteen seconds of a kind of shared existence between the physical reality of my bedroom and the dream reality of the strange place, intermingled in a semi-conscious way. It got me wondering if this kind of experience might not be what certain kinds of mental illness make for some people, all the time, or at least sporadically. Some interior landscape that interferes with or amalgamates with perceptions of the exterior one.

Tonight I'm blocking that damn door open.

caw

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I've done that...kind of a cross between dreaming, sleepwalking, and being awake. Always scares the bejesus out of me too. As if I don't already have ENOUGH trouble sleeping.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, blame the cat !

It's not HER fault doors work differently in her reality. It's also not her fault she woke you into her reality instead of yours. Her reality exists in the dark, and is chased away by the turning-on of a lamp or room light.

Poor kitty.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, blame the cat !

It's not HER fault doors work differently in her reality. It's also not her fault she woke you into her reality instead of yours. Her reality exists in the dark, and is chased away by the turning-on of a lamp or room light.

Poor kitty.

Hey, I gave her food and water this morning. Tonight, maybe, I'll clean the litterbox. Right now, she's at home sleeping in a sunbeam somewhere. Life is good.

caw

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I used to catch the frame of the door to the bathroom once or twice a month. My theory was that when I woke in the middle of the night, something I did getting up was different than when I was completely awake.

Either that or there were gremlins that moved the door frame in the middle of the night. If I left the closet doors open then it was a gremlin free for all.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I can't explain it, but I STILL have issues sleeping with the closet door open. I make my hubby get up and shut them. :)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I've done this before too and waken to what looked like my room, but one thing would be wrong with it, (most commonly, the person standing at the end of my bed who wasn't really there.) The reality/dream crossover is a spooky one, but it's happened to me.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds pretty cool. I'd like a girl please who hasn't had sex in as long as I have. I hardly ever remember my dreams if I have them.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I've done this before too and waken to what looked like my room, but one thing would be wrong with it, (most commonly, the person standing at the end of my bed who wasn't really there.) The reality/dream crossover is a spooky one, but it's happened to me.

Was it a confederate soldier? :roll: These seem to be what all ghost photos are of. That would really taint my wish.

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
I've done this before also. It was very bizarre. I truly could not find my way out of the room. I was actually very calm and systematic at one point. I ran my hands over every surface thinking, eventually there's got to be a door here. There wasn't. Or a light switch. Then I had a breakthrough. I knew the window was over the bed. Thankfully that was still there, so I leaned over it, got a hold of the curtains and pulled them back. When the moonlight came in, everything came back.
Coincidentally, my dog was in the room with me and was so freaked out my behaviour he spent the whole time walking right beside me brushing up against my leg. I know if he hadn't been there, I wouldn't have been so calm, but now I wonder, if like the kitty, he was transferring some alternate reality thingy to me.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I get this all the time. I spent many years aboard ships and drilling rigs, and times of emergency or stress stick into your brain in wee pockets of subconciousness. At sudden awakening from deep sleep, they'll pop up their ugly heads.

Especially if an alarm is sounding. I wake up at home thinking I'm on a particular rig in my quarters. I head for the phone and run smack into a wall.

It takes up to twenty, thirty seconds to realize where I am if the room is dark.

A doctor at a party once told me it was post stress disorder. He invited me into a study he was conducting, but I never went. It seems that we revisit stress times from our past, sometimes even from childhood, in disorienting moments. At least that's what the gist seemed to be. Can't really be sure, we were swilling Marguaritas at the time.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well there's your problem right there ! She got crossed up, woke you into the wrong reality.

Poor thing - I'm sure her sun nap today will help settle her nerves.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe with your dog. My cat is just a moron. It doesn't help that she's a fat Siamese with crossed eyes.

caw
I had a girlfriend like that once. She could eat from both plates at once, sitting on either side of her.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I woke up, walked around my bed, went to the bathroom, got back into bed, and realized as I jolted completely awake that I was NOT in my own house, and the route was not the same. Somehow I had gone to the bathroom in my house while staying with Grandma. Since no one noted any puddles the next morning, I can only conclude that I went home in my dazed state. It was interesting.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Never had that experience before but I have dreamt in 'real-time.' It happens when I wake up early and turn on the tv or radio but end up falling asleep again. What happens is, I start to dream but the voices on the TV or radio come into the dream and the dreams I'm having react to what the people are saying. VERY freaky.