How to Change Presidential Debates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarrenP

Registered
Reaction score
Aloha folks,

Was talking with a few friends yesterday and starting talking about the Presidential Debate process. We all agreed that we don't like it now, it ends up being two people each spouting their talking points on just about whatever they wish, often so unrelated to the question that it is funny. Then the political hacks on both sides go on tv ranting about their victory and how their candidate won. :rolleyes:

We were thinking about a way to "judge" these debates. For the moment, assume it is possible to get a panel of five honestly independent (I realize the leap there, but one can hope) judges. Would it be fair to ask them to rate each response a candidate gives to a question? I know that then we deal with who is the judge, did they ever work for a party or party donor, etc... this is just a theoretical conversation...

Maybe rate them on the relevancy of the answer (not good or bad, just did they answer the question), or level of detail (versus just flowing generalities)? Or other rating categories?

What do you fine folks think? How could we change the Presidential Debate process to be more effective at learning about the candidates?

(Putting aside the obvious cage match, or UFC-type contest of course. I mean we would all love to see a cage match, followed by a free-throw contest, but since that won't happen, what realistically could?)

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Hook them all up to lie-detectors...I'd watch that! :)

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Take all the words that they say.

Throw them into a big cook.

Boil them for half an hour.

Sieve through muslin.

Distil.

And you will end up with something which will still be utter rubbish but will be less voluminous.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
tf06-american_idol2.jpg

Utterly dreadful...

Reaction score
Round-Robin.

Single Elimination.

No sudden death.

Standing eight count.

Three knock down rule.

Candidate can't be saved by the moderator on the last question.

And the mod doctor can't stop the debate.

Or just have Jack Bauer in charge of getting them to tell the truth.

JackBauer.jpg

"What are you gonna do about health care?! What are you gonna do about healthcare!!?!?!?!??!"

Last edited:

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Or just have Jack Bauer in charge of getting them to tell the truth.

JackBauer.jpg

"What are you gonna do about health care?! What are you gonna do about healthcare!!?!?!?!??!"

"You don't want to see how far I'm willing to go to get to the truth."

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Or that guy they keep bringing in with his plastic suitcase full of needles. Johnson or Philips or something. We can but try.

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
The problem is not so much that they don't tell the truth, but that they do not answer questions directly.
Yup, that's why I stopped watching. The candidates just listen for key words and then just start spouting their talking points. I'd love for the moderator to be able to say to a candidate who does that "Thank you Mr. Candidate, it's clear from your response that you are unable to answer the question." It would be great if the candidates had to really debate and were forced by the moderator to actually answer the questions, but I doubt that will ever happen.

WarrenP

Registered
Reaction score
Yup, that's why I stopped watching. The candidates just listen for key words and then just start spouting their talking points. I'd love for the moderator to be able to say to a candidate who does that "Thank you Mr. Candidate, it's clear from your response that you are unable to answer the question." It would be great if the candidates had to really debate and were forced by the moderator to actually answer the questions, but I doubt that will ever happen.

This is where I was going with the idea. Would it be possible to "score" a debate of this level? Or would we just end up blathering on about who the judges are, who funds them, and so on?

I wish there was a way to change it....

That being said, I'm not opposed to Jack being the moderator either. :)

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
You guys should try our Houses of Parliament-style debate. Get two groups of people on either side of an arena and have 'em yell and boo and scream at each other for a couple of hours every day.

It doesn't really work either but it's a lot more fun to watch. :)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
The American public should never know what candidates actually think or what they stand for as people. We want the spin and the polish, we want talking points and sound bites.

Character has been out of fashion for politicians for fifty years.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
The American public should never know what candidates actually think

That implies that candidates do think! In Britain at least most MPs are just there to vote for what their leader says. In return they get a nice house to sit in with comfy sofas where they can behave like children to their hearts content.

Character has been out of fashion for politicians for fifty years.

Unfortunately so has principle.

Last edited:

McDuff

Registered
Reaction score
My own personal suggestion is to give reporters spines and a book called "your fucking job" with a big ol' how to inside about asking hard questions.

Presidential debates are theatre. They're nothing more and it's foolish to expect anything more. But politicians can get away with a lot more shit if they know certain Beltway media hacks are going to be more concerned with getting to the canapes first than checking anything they said.

Status
Not open for further replies.