Not open for further replies.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Howdy all.

I'm currently in the process of researching a story for an independent feature film and I would love the chance to speak with someone who has experience in sign language interpreting in a medical setting, either as the interpreter or the deaf person. I have a number of other resources that I'm following up on, but there's just no subsitute for first hand experiences.

Replies, private messages or emails are all very welcome.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Pete

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a professional sign language interpreter, nine years experience. PM me.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
Last May I was involved in a car accident and had to spend a week in a coma, had a tracheotomy put in and when I woke up from the coma, I was unable to speak for another four days.

I didn't think it would be so bad as I am somewhat proficient with ASL (my brother is hearing impaired and I 'intrepret' at work). However none of my nurses, doctors or other care givers knew fundamental sign language. The only person I ran into who did know was a 'social care worker' who took several classes in ASL but hardly got the chance to use it. She had even forgotten her numbers. I didn't get to meet her until four days after waking from the coma. I was able to get her to understand my concern for my father who had to drive hundreds of miles to see me and was supposed to have arrived the day before, that I needed my glasses and to make sure he was alright.

But she and I muddled through. Fortunately for me (unfortunately for her), shortly after she and I talked my tracheotomy came out and I could speak normally again.

I really had thought there would have been someone around who would have known sign language as it's a large, university hospital and services a wide range of the surrounding communities.

Another time, at home, I had occasion to run into a Deaf couple I know at the emergency room. The gal was incredibly ill and yet they had to wait *hours* for another friend who teaches ASL but is Hearing to come down and intrepret for them before anything could be done.

I'm not sure how much that helps what you wanted, but it does give an insight to how *rare* it is to find ASL qualified people in the medical field.

Rabe...

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno, but here is a tidbit. Different countries have different sign language. I collected some data on Chinese sign language, which has many sign words related to Chinese characters.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I actually did know that one, Prawn. In fact, the closest analogue to American Sign Language is French Sign Language, as ASL was developed with the assistance of a Frenchman back in the 19th century.

Interestingly, I've also found out that I live about two miles from the very first school for the deaf in America.

It's good thing I'm not in a hurry to finish up this research. :)

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
Ah! But did you know that Chinese sign language on the mainland, and the Chinese language in Taiwan are different? The sign language in Taiwan is actually related to Japanese sign language, a relic of the Japanese occupation of Taiwan.

The trivialist of triva.

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
Last May I was involved in a car accident and had to spend a week in a coma, had a tracheotomy put in and when I woke up from the coma, I was unable to speak for another four days.

This should be a story. Write it! Truth is stranger than fiction.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
This should be a story. Write it! Truth is stranger than fiction.

I have two stories (not sure if they are shorts, novellas or novels really) based on the incident.

If I ever finish the novel I'm working on now...plus the novella I've been working on for my alter ego.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Just popping in to give a quick update -

I've recently been put in touch with Leslie Warren, a veteran interpreter who is (I'm told) a recognized expert in the field of medical interpreting.

But I am still very interested in speaking with any professional sign language interpreters who might come across. Any many thanks to those who have replied already. I'm grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.