Need ideas with a YA writing group...

M. K. McWilliams

Registered
Reaction score
The theme is going to be mysteries to coincide with their reading group and a visit from the Alaskan State elect Laureate, John Straley.

So what's this all about? Well, I would like some help and tips for the group. I've volunteered to conduct the writing group and I know a little bit of what I want to do, but my genre is Fantasy. I love reading mysteries but have never written one.

The writing group will last June through October and at the end of it all they want a Mystery story to present.

What I need are activities and discussion topics relating to the mystery genre. What kind of assignments can I give them since we'll only be meeting once a month. (I might ask to change that. Alot can happen in a month and kids don't always keep up with things.)

I suppose I am also trying to anticipate some of their questions but can't really do that. I know the basics for writing, sentence structure and grammar. I can help them with dialogue, plot, characters, things like that but am wondering how to go about structuring a mystery.

Thanks!

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Maybe start short - short mysteries can have the elements (puzzle, puzzle-solution and solver) that novel-length mysteries have. Introduce them to the concept of "writing backwards" - structuring the ending first. Emphasize character, too. Locked room puzzles are intriguing, and not all mysteries have to involve murder.

Have them read a few short mysteries in preparation: a Sherlock Homes (Copper Beeches is good) whatever is in the current Womans World magazine and an issue of Ellery Queen or Alfred Hitchcock.

Will this be a group effort or individual stories?

M. K. McWilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Group effort. It will be worked on over the course of the summer and should be finished by October.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Okay, a group effort is more difficult - but allows for more critique, too! Maybe get everyone to do some reading first, then suggest plots for the story. It will take a while just to get consensus there, I would guess. Then stres the importance of character, setting & the actual mystery and its solution. Best of luck, and keep us posted!

M. K. McWilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Kate! I will keep you posted. Under the Writing for YA section, someone suggested making a crime scene and having the kids write about it. I've got the basics of writing of course, but I've never written mysteries so I just needed a little help. Thanks for that!