Cross-media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Forget cross-genre for the moment. What about cross-media works? When is something a poem and when is it a piece of flash? Are there other types of cross-media works other than just prose and poetry?

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shufflingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Ummm... Well, I suppose plays/videos/operas are mixes of poetry, music, prose, and visuals. Lemme see...

Tom Waits is famous for doing strange spoken word prose-poetry stuff mixed with music, the most accessible of which would probably be "What's he building in there?" To add the visual aspect, the video for it is here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nMqxNPsfN50

This is one of the better "music" videos I've run across. Prepare to be creeped out, mind.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
When is it a comic book and when is it a graphic novel? :)

I think there are some overlaps: podcast vs. radio broadcast vs. radio plays, graphics novel serving as a script (Frank Miller's 300, for example). Of course, audio books are written words spoken. Movies turning into video games and vice versa.

I think as digital media become the norm, and the Internet (and Internet 2 is coming) becomes mainstream, there will be more and more crossovers. It's only a good thing for writers.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Movies turning into video games and vice versa.

This isn't the same as cross-genre. You're talking about adaptions, which is a different thing entirely. I'm talking about such things as prose poetry, which read almost like flash and, in some cases, could be published as flash.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
What exactly is "flash" in this question?

I think it refers to Flash Fiction, which is fiction of 100 words or less, if I'm not mistaken.

---

I wonder if cross-media would include songs and poetry? They do seem similar a lot of the time, and in some cases I know of poems that became songs (The Star-Spangled Banner comes to mind here).

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Flash is extremely short fiction. The exact length that defines flash varies depending on the context or who is being asked.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
This isn't the same as cross-genre. You're talking about adaptions, which is a different thing entirely. I'm talking about such things as prose poetry, which read almost like flash and, in some cases, could be published as flash.

Oh I see. The same work can be marketed as different genres/media. Like comic book vs. graphics novel. Radio vs. podcast. What about mixed media? Video presentation of a book reading via YouTube?

Status
Not open for further replies.