Drive

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Is this Fox's apology to Firefly fans?

Nathan Fillion, Richard Brooks (Jubal Early), Tim Minear...

Not to mention Amy Acker (not Firefly, but Angel).

So far just the names involved are fun. Hope the show lives up to them.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on watching - I figure it'll be great - and I'm positive FOX will cancel it after 3 eps.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Looked interesting, mostly because there were a couple of actors I like. But I forgot to watch it.

Was it any good? Anyone?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't watch - was swimming home, and been Tivoing Planet Earth on Disc.

ETA - Bullrun is all the driving without the drama.

Jeni

Registered
Reaction score
Drive is showing again tomorrow night, not so much a repeat as a continuation from the pilot episode. It's proven interesting, but I won't go as far as saying exceptionally so (yet). The only nitpick I have is that the 'coincidences' are a little far-fetched, but it's too early to say if they have a good explanation for it. The action is good, the sequencing is quirky (but in a good way), there's potential for all sorts of drama... Hopefully this series sticks around for a while 'cause it looks promising.

jnesvold

Registered
Reaction score
I liked it. But I'm a huge Nathan Fillion fan. I thought it was decently written and provided a nice storyline with something that's missing from a lot of serialized TV shows these days: an actual possible storyline conclusion.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to like it. I really did. It was "okay". Nathan Fillion is great, but I dispise stories told in flashback - and there are WAY too many characters, none of which are interesting.

It was an okay way to pass 2 hours last night, but I can see it getting old and tired, very fast. In fact, I don't think I'll bother with it tonight in the regular timeslot.

Too many characters, the plot is ridiculous, and those flashbacks. It's like Lost on the highway.

Too bad.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it. It was sort of interesting and quirky in a good way, even though parts of it didn't really make any sense. For example, one guy's wife has been taken. At the first checkpoint, he runs into one of the men making them run the race (one of the men who has his wife). The guy says he isn't going to race anymore unless he knows for sure his wife is being safely held. The other man sort of shrugs at him. The guy then lets the other man walk away without a care. Huh? The man has your wife and he's standing right there--you might want to detain him a bit, or follow him, or at least call a cop (surely there was a doughnut shop nearby).

If you like Lost you will probably like Drive. I don't care much for those types of programs personally because you never really do find out what the hell is going on (unless they do a Twin Peaks and just paste an ending onto it).

Last edited:

jnesvold

Registered
Reaction score
I watched it. It was sort of interesting and quirky in a good way, even though parts of it didn't really make any sense. For example, one guy's wife has been taken. At the first checkpoint, he runs into one of the men making them run the race (one of the men who has his wife). The guy says he isn't going to race anymore unless he knows for sure his wife is being safely held. The other man sort of shrugs at him. The guy then lets the other man walk away without a care. Huh? The man has your wife and he's standing right there--you might want to detain him a bit, or follow him, or at least call a cop (surely there was a doughnut shop nearby).
Tully (Fillion) actually wanted proof they really had his wife. He wasn't sure until the cellphone video.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
jnesvold said:
Tully (Fillion) actually wanted proof they really had his wife. He wasn't sure until the cellphone video.
But that didn't come until after the bald man had walked away completely. Before that, it didn't look like the bald man was going to show him any proof.

It's alright to do things like this--it's a TV show afterall--but it doesn't really make sense. But then, the whole thing probably doesn't really make sense.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And tonight they have to rob a bank as part of the race???

Kill someone as penalty for being last.

Rob banks.

One woman is running from an abusive husband, so she leaves her baby in a safe-house and takes off, using her credit card and driving her husbands mini van?

The son of a politician takes off with his half-brother, bringing his gas-card?

A dude is AWOL and doesn't realize it?

We're given the POV of the only guy who missed orientation?

:Shrug:

I dunno . . . not my cup of tea. But we all don't have to like the same stuff. I'm just frustrated because I wanted to like it.

jnesvold

Registered
Reaction score
But that didn't come until after the bald man had walked away completely. Before that, it didn't look like the bald man was going to show him any proof.

It's alright to do things like this--it's a TV show afterall--but it doesn't really make sense. But then, the whole thing probably doesn't really make sense.

I guess I got it differently than you did. As I saw it, Tully was not convinced they had her. That is why he was so non-chalant. "I'm not racing until you prove you have her, and I don't really think you do." And I figured the bald guy walked away so Tully couldn't hurt him once he saw the video.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
something that's missing from a lot of serialized TV shows these days: an actual possible storyline conclusion.

If FOX lets it live long enough to conclude.

I admit, I've become somewhat jaded this year about new shows. The Nine was an excellent serialized drama, with a complex storyline, and it got canned after about seven eps. The Black Donnelly's? Same thing.

I love Nathan Fillion. If Drive lives the entire season, I'll pick up the DVD's. *shrug* No sense in committing to another show, only to have it yanked out away.

jnesvold

Registered
Reaction score
If FOX lets it live long enough to conclude.

I admit, I've become somewhat jaded this year about new shows. The Nine was an excellent serialized drama, with a complex storyline, and it got canned after about seven eps. The Black Donnelly's? Same thing.

I couldn't get into The Nine. I tried, but it seemed like there's was no way that what heppened in the bank during the siege could even cloesly compare to the buildup it was given. It was too draggy and melodramatic to me.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I love Nathan Fillion. If Drive lives the entire season, I'll pick up the DVD's. *shrug* No sense in committing to another show, only to have it yanked out away.
But... but... but..., if everyone did that, of course FOX would yank the show. Nobody'd be watching it.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't Jubal Early a Confederate General.

Seem to remmeber he was at 1st Bull Run.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
But... but... but..., if everyone did that, of course FOX would yank the show. Nobody'd be watching it.

I know, I know. :e2bummed:

But now I'm three episodes behind, and I hate missing the start of something.

Wasn't Jubal Early a Confederate General.

It was a deliberate name choice on Joss Whedon's part. I'm pretty sure there is episode commentary for "Objects in Space" that explains it.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And if you didn't see THAT one coming, you haven't been watching TV very long.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I watched part of the last episode. I liked it, because it had a lot of human element to it. Sure the catalyst was far-fetched, but underneath there's a lot of gritty human nature.

So of course they cancel it - it's FOX. The only decent shows they've got are House, Bones and 24. Everything else is junk, and anything else that has a chance they cancel. ABC has Ugly Betty, Gray's Anatomy (which I don't watch), Lost, and a bunch of sitcoms that are kinda okay.

I also am kind of liking "The Riches" on FX. That's got a really interesting plotline, and Minnie Driver is just awesome. Hopefully that'll stick around a bit.

Last edited: