Toolbox Treasures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
If you've read Stephen King's 'On Writing', you'll know he refers to the toolbox needed for writing. Different layers have different tools. Think of a ladder and each rung is something else that helps you get to where you want to go (write a story damnit!).

So on one of those levels-I'm not sure which one-is your dictionary, thesaurus, atlas or reference book of choice.

I went to Borders today to get rid of the final gift cards from Christmas and came upon a really wonderful title, that grabbed me and became an instant treasure for my toolbox. 'The Book of Useless Information' - Thousands of things you didn't think you needed to know...and probably won't.

I found it in the buy two get the third of free pile, and being the lowest price, it was free. I'm loving this book already. It has a completely random set of facts. I even came up with a short story off of one of the rarer phobias it mentions. Here are some good ones I noticed in the first couple of pages.

"A squirrel cannot contract or carry the rabies virus."

"More Presidents have been born in the state of Virginia than in any other state" -- really cool, I live in VA. King of the World, here I come.

"During his lifetime, Melville only sold fifty copies of 'Moby Dick'."

"Rubber Bands last longer when refrigerated."

"In England in the 1880's, pants was considered a dirty word"

"The words assassination and bump were invented by Shakespeare."

"The total number of Bridge hands possible is 54 octillion"

"Ms. Piggy's measurements are 27-20-36"

So anyway, what kind of strange, rare, outlandish books do you have that you might use for your writing.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons by Dr. Ernest Drake. It's all about the study of dragons, their species, their habits, etc. As an avid lover of all things draconic, I find it a useful reference in my writings about dragons and the like.

It's published through Candlewick Press, and is supposedly a reproduction of a book that came out more than 100 years ago. Interesting reading, and pretty illustrations.

Especially useful in writing Fantasy or SF.

Last edited:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
"In England in the 1880's, pants was considered a dirty word"

Remember that 'pants' means something slightly different over here.

Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons....

...Especially useful in writing Fantasy or SF.

So long as you remember that dragons aren't real and, as such, you are allowed to not follow any particular canon.

In reply to the original question: My dad got the New Scientist book, Why Don't Penguins Feet Freeze?' for Christmas, and there's some good stuff in there. It's a collection of answers to sciencey questions posed and answered by readers of the magazine. I read New Scientist with reasonable regularity anyway, so I get a good infusion of this sort of stuff already.

Last edited:

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
Stephen Biesty's Man O' War It's a children's book, but the drawings are exceptional and accurate, and it's got more clearly defined information than many of the "grown-up" books.

I also love my copy of Deadly Doses, of the Howdunnit series. It's an excellent guide to poisons and their effects, and I found it fascinating. I don't know if I'll ever write a story in which someone dies from swallowing a battery, but I can tell you what happens when they do! How cool is that?

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
So long as you remember that dragons aren't real and, as such, you are allowed to not follow any particular canon.

Actually, some animals alive today would have counted as dragons 1,000 years ago. A python snake gets its name from a dragon of Classical mythology and is, in fact, identical in every way except size, to the dragon Python.

Also, the famous Komodo Dragon, the monitor lizard from Indonesia, is by definition a dragon. It eats anything, including humans and members of its own species, and it has the size of some dragons -- albeit small ones.

Further, breathing fire was not a requirement for a creature to be a dragon until only a few hundred years ago.

;)

But that's kind of OT for this thread. Still, I think it's an interesting point.

Another weird book have but have yet to use for this purpose is The Olympic Class Ships: Olympic - Titanic - Britannic by Mark Chirnside. My reason: My fantasy often takes place in a Titanic-era world, and ships that would be contemporary to the Titanic have been a model for ships I've made up for stories.

Further, another book some might consider weird, that I use, is a Tanach (Biblical Old Testament). I use it to study up on the spiritual aspects of the real world so I can use them as a basis for spiritual aspects of my fantasy worlds.

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I love my books in the Howdunnit series: Murder One, Missing Persons, Cause of Death, Police Procedural, and Body Trauma. Very cool reads.

I also have a dozen different language phrasebook. If I ever needed to ask where the bathroom was in Swahili, I could. :)

Hoaxes, Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things, The Soldier's Guidebook, The Complete Book of Heraldry...so many. I love fun, completely random nonfiction books.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt that the word 'assassing' was invented by Shakespeare since it was first used in European reference by Marco Polo:
TYMOLOGY OF ASSASSIN
NOTE: For a synopsis of this document and more information about the history of Alamut please refer to my Index to the History of Alamut.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the 'History of Alamut' there are at least four etymologies given for the word assassin.

User of hashish
Follower of Hassan
Rowdy people
Asas
Below I've included excerpts from various sources which argue the 'correct' etymology of the term. Generally contemporary Isma'ili sources reject the 'hash' root entirely (though do not, interestingly enough, reject the Alamutis 'terrorist' reputation) as demeaning to Isma'ilis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myth : The word assassin is derived from the word hashish.

It is a common myth that the word assassin comes from the Arabic word haschishin for hashish user.

The story is that al-Hassan ibn-al-Sabbah used hashish to enlist the aid of young men into his private army known as assassins (aschishin - or follower of Hassan). One of the primary sources for this information comes from the writings of Marco Polo who visited the area in 1273, almost 150 years after the reign of Al-Hassan.

There are many conflicting facts and sources for this information.

In the early 11th century, al-Hassan became the head of the Persian sect of the Ismailians, a rather obscure party of fanatics which gained local power under his guidance. In 1090, al-Hassan and his followers seized the castle of Alamut, in the province of Rudbar, which lies in the mountainous region south of the Caspian Sea. It was from this mountain home that he obtained evil celebrity among the Crusaders as "the old man of the mountains", and spread terror through the Mohammedan world.

In the account given by Marco Polo in "The Adventures [or Travels] of Marco Polo" it is told that "The Old Man kept at his court such boys of twelve years old as seemed to him destined to become courageous men. When the Old Man sent them into the garden in groups of four, ten or twenty, he gave them hashish to drink. They slept for three days, then they were carried sleeping into the garden where he had them awakened.

"When these young men woke, and found themselves in the garden with all these marvelous things, they truly believed themselves to be in paradise. And these damsels were always with them in songs and great entertainments; they; received everything they asked for, so that they would never have left that garden of their own will."

When the Old Man wished to kill someone, he would take a young man and tell him they could return to Paradise if they entered his service and followed his instructions or died in his service.

From this account it is farily clear that hashish was not the substance used. First, hashish is seldom prepared in a liquid form Hassan would drug young men with a substance which "cast them into a deep sleep" from which they could not be awakened. They were then carried to a beautiful secret garden which was impenetrable and unseen by any but those intended to be his haschishin. When they awoke in the garden, surrounded by beautiful naked women and boys, they were told that they were in Paradise. After a few hours of bliss, they were again made unconscious with the unknown substance. Awakening back in the presence of "The Old Man of the Mountain" they were told that he had given them this glimpse of Paradise and that they would go to Paradise if they entered his service and followed his instructions or died in his service. Thus, he recruited an army of assassins who were the first terrorist gang.

It is from this story that the connection between the words assassin and hashish is drawn. It is said that the word assassin comes from the Arabic word haschishin for hashish user. But Hassan and his followers didn't speak Arabic; they were Persians. Assassin comes from Hassassin -- a follower of Hassan.

Hassan, in fact, was a hashish prohibitionist. He argued that the Koran's ban on alcohol was a ban on all intoxicants, so his assassins were drug free terrorists. Except in the false Paradise where they were served wine as one of the joys of heaven. So, it is desire for alcohol not hashish that helped motivate the Assassins.

At the same time, within the crusading-culture of a pre- and early-modern Europe, the Syrian and Persian Nizaris took shape as Muslim mercenaries-cum-fanatics who murdered their victims while high on opium or hashish. If this propagandist concoction of a 'stoned' assassin fails to fit the complex reality of the discipline and training required for committing what was always an explicitly political act, the popular notion of Nizaris as a community of killers also denies their rich, multivalent culture.

- Farhad Daftary, The Assassin Legends: Myths of the Isma'ilis

"The Old Man kept at his court such boys of twelve years old as seemed to him destined to become courageous men. When the Old Man sent them into the garden in groups of four, ten or twenty, he game them hashish to drink [sic]. They slept for three days, then they were carried sleeping into the garden where he had them awakened.

"When these young men woke, and found themselves in the garden with all these marvelous things, they truly believed themselves to be in paradise. And these damsels were always with them in songs and great entertainments; they; received everything they asked for, so that they would never have left that garden of their own will."

And when the Old Man wished to kill someone, he would take him and say: 'Go and do this thing. I do this because I want to make you return to paradise'. And the assassins go and perform the deed willingly."

- Marco Polo - on his visit to Alamut in 1273

"Many scholars have argued, and demonstrated convincingly, that the attribution of the epithet 'hashish eaters' or 'hashish takers' is a misnomer derived from enemies the Isma'ilis and was never used by Moslem chroniclers or sources. It was therefore used in a pejorative sense of 'enemies' or 'disreputable people'. This sense of the term survived into modern times with the common Egyptian usage of the term Hashasheen in the 1930s to mean simply 'noisy or riotous'. It is unlikely that the austere Hasan-i Sabbah indulged personally in drug taking."

"There is no mention of that drug [hashish] in connection with the Persian Assassins - especially in the library of Alamut ('the secret archives')."

- Edward Burman, The Assassins - Holy Killers of Islam

"He goes on to state, that years passed by, and both his old school-friends found him out, and came and claimed a share in his good fortune, according to the school-day vow. The Vizier was generous and kept his word. Hasan demanded a place in the government, which the Sultan granted at the Vizier's request; but discontented with a gradual rise, he plunged into the maze of intrigue of an oriental court, and, failing in a base attempt to supplant his benefactor, he was disgraced and fell. After many mishaps and wanderings, Hasan became the head of the Persian sect of the Ismailians,--a party of fanatics who had long murmured in obscurity, but rose to an evil eminence under the guidance of his strong and evil will. In A.D. 1090, he seized the castle of Alamut, in the province of Rudbar, which lies in the mountainous tract south of the Caspian Sea; and it was from this mountain home he obtained that evil celebrity among the Crusaders as the old man of the mountains, and spread terror through the Mohammedan world; and it is yet disputed where the word Assassin, which they have left in the language of modern Europe as their dark memorial, is derived from the hashish, or opiate of hemp-leaves (the Indian bhang), with which they maddened themselves to the sullen pitch of oriental desperation, or from the name of the founder of the dynasty, whom we have seen in his quiet collegiate days, at Naishapur. One of the countless victims of the Assassin's dagger was Nizam ul Mulk himself, the old school-boy friend.

excerpt from Mirkhond's History of the Assassins
(published in an article about Omar Khayyam in the Calcutta Review, No. 59.)
http://www.alamut.com/subj/ideologies/alamut/etymolAss.html

Regards,
Scott

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I have my German-English dictionary from high school. If I ever need someone to scream something threatening in another language, it'll be in German. Even something mundane can sound absolutely terrifying. We had lots of fun in my class when we were right across the hall from the office. :D

For worldbuilding resources, I also have The Dragon Lover's Guide to Pern and The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare - both illustrated. I don't use anything in them, but I absolutely love seeing how it all fits together. Plus the pictures are shiny. ;)

~DragonHeart~

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Toolbar

I just wish more writers would master the top drawer of King's toolbox before moving on to other drawers.

Jack Nog

Registered
Reaction score
I doubt that the word 'assassing' was invented by Shakespeare since it was first used in European reference by Marco Polo:

Not assassin -- assassination

I enjoyed the lesson however. Thanks!

I just wish more writers would master the top drawer of King's toolbox before moving on to other drawers.

Thread killer :e2shrug:

Last edited:

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just amazed, Jack Nog, that you had your Borders Christmas gift certificates left in April.

I'd used mine by December 27th. :Shrug:

Jack Nog

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just amazed, Jack Nog, that you had your Borders Christmas gift certificates left in April.

I'd used mine by December 27th. :Shrug:

Heh, well about that, I actually keep two wallets. One has the checkbook and some other cards in it, and the other has my license and major cards in it.

I hadn't used the checkbook in sometime and found the pleasant surprise of two Borders Cards. I'd thought my wife had used em...

So I picked up that book, another book on real life survival stories, and I Am Legend by Richard Matheson...

Total cost $0.00 -- $0.66 left on one card. :)

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I have my German-English dictionary from high school. If I ever need someone to scream something threatening in another language, it'll be in German. Even something mundane can sound absolutely terrifying. We had lots of fun in my class when we were right across the hall from the office. :D
Please tell me that you have your German sentences checked by somebody who actually knows the language. Please. I often have to wince when I read snippets of foreign languages in English books. Or in movies. (Although that has improved immensely over the years. In books it seems to have gotten worse.)

When I was in high school, my best friend and I both took German and French. When we wrote notes to each other, we'd switch languages every couple of words, resulting in something totally incomprehensible to our math teacher... :D Which was the point, of course.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Well, I haven't actually had the occasion to use that part of my toolbox yet. Nor would I if I had any question about my ability to correctly form sentences. I may not be as fluent in the language as I was two years ago when I actually finished my fourth year of accelerated German, but I have enough of my notes remaining that I can still read and write it with at least some degree of fluency.

~DragonHeart~

Status
Not open for further replies.