PDA

View Full Version : Words Gone Wild Again.

triceretops
04-14-2007, 09:36 PM
I use the acronym CAT throughout my book, which stands for citiizens against tyranny. Should CAT be capitalized? My editor seems to think it should be captialized and in Italics? I understand the caps. Why Italics too?

It was 2:00 A.M. when he awoke.
It was 2:00 AM when he awoke.
It was 2:00 am shen he awoke.

Which one of these is proper?

I've seen it Sabertooth and Saber Tooth. I'm assuming the first one is the correct form?

Thanks for you help

blacbird
04-14-2007, 11:23 PM
You have an editor. Do what the edtor wants about the acronym.

I'd prefer the first A.M., but I've seen the second: AM. I do think it needs caps, though.

I'd use Sabertooth as one word, but both are correct.

caw

Birol
04-14-2007, 11:58 PM
I don't understand the italics, either.

AM, A.M., am is more about house style then what is correct. Be consistent and write it similarly to other abbreviations.

triceretops
04-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks, guys. I don't understand the cap of CAT, either. Unless it is stressed, so I'm going to leave it caps only.

Tri

Bartholomew
04-15-2007, 12:35 AM
CITIZENS AGAINST TYRANNY!

Hmm.

I think CAT would look better.

Maryn
04-15-2007, 08:00 PM
If I were the editor, I'd capitalize the acronym CAT but not italicize it. Normal practice seems to be to capitalize acronyms, without spaces or periods between the letters. The same seems to be true of all initial abbreviations, whether the word is pronounceable (CAT, AIDS, UNICEF) or is said as its letters (PBS, DNA, NAACP).

No style guide on my desk suggests both caps and italics, but remember, publishers have a house style and will adhere to it unless there's a compelling reason not to.

Maryn