Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke flees the scene

philosopher.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
For those of you who don't know, OCD stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Here's the symptoms for it:

1. Recurrent and persistent thoughts, impulses, or images that are experienced at some time during the disturbance, as intrusive and inappropriate and that cause marked anxiety or distress.
  2. The thoughts, impulses, or images are not simply excessive worries about real-life problems.
  3. The person attempts to ignore or suppress such thoughts, impulses, or images, or to neutralize them with some other thought or action.
  4. The person recognizes that the obsessional thoughts, impulses, or images are a product of his or her own mind, and are not based in reality.
  5. The tendency to laggle over small details that the viewer is unable to fix or change in any way. This begins a mental pre-occupation with that which is inevitable.
I find that while writing, I'm strongly tempted to put words that have nothing to do with the rest of the piece that I'm writing, just cause it creates a certain image in my head that satisfies me. I really don't know how I can explain it...

But the reason I'm asking this is cause I'm almost certain I have it, and I've had it for awhile, and it's continually getting worse. I'm counting my blinks, for god's sake. Help would be appreciated, thanks.

Reaction score
I treat the temptation to give in to OCD as a test of my self-control. Rather than checking the taps, electric sockets or light switches AGAIN, I say, "See if you can exercise that legendary self-control you're so obessed with and not do it."

Does that make sense? Anyway. If you like counting, count the amount of times you deny yourself/the OCD tics.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Hon, I don't think anybody here can help you with that, you would honestly need to talk to a professional and get a diagnosis, and then treatment. Of course it will affect your writing, as well as other areas of your life. I would strongly suggest making an appointment with your doctor. {{HUGS}}

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
There are a couple of good books out there but one I saw recently teaches you how to distract yourself. It's going to take me a while to remember the title. I'll be back in a few.

That wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

Brain Lock

Check it out. If it does become too bothersome and disrupts your life in a major way, you should go see a doctor.

Last edited:

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
What Carrie said. Please see a professional who can help you.

Scarlet, if Tattered does indeed have OCD, it's not a matter of "self control. " It's a mood disorder that requires medical intervention.

Reaction score
I do know that. I live with it myself and it can be dealt with outside of medical intervention, if that refers to drugs alone.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
But the reason I'm asking this is cause I'm almost certain I have it, and I've had it for awhile, and it's continually getting worse. I'm counting my blinks, for god's sake. Help would be appreciated, thanks.

If you think you have it, even if you are "almost certain," you should talk to a doctor. It's an illness, and they have medication for it. It is treatable, and something you can get under control. Good luck to you.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know what OCD is for sure, but from what you've described I'd suggest (as others have) seeking professional help. I do know one thing and that is "You are a talented writer and I continue to enjoy reading your writings.".

Best wishes,

Jon

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Dear Tattered and Torn,

It's very hard to struggle with untreated OCD--please don't try to battle it alone, if you suspect you might have it.

It's classified as an anxiety disorder, and while talk therapy does help, for most people it's important to combine that with medication, at least when you are starting to get a handle on the condition.

A book you might appreciate is called "Devil in the Details" by Jennifer Traig. She describes with humor and poignancy her struggles as an adolescent with OCD--about your age, from what you say on your profile.

It's harder to figure out how to get help when you are under 18--but please find an adult you can trust, so you can figure out a way to begin treatment.

Good luck!

Susan

(A psychologist, when I'm not working on my writing)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Snipped...

I find that while writing, I'm strongly tempted to put words that have nothing to do with the rest of the piece that I'm writing, just cause it creates a certain image in my head that satisfies me. I really don't know how I can explain it...

That sounds to me like a Command Voice, Tattered and Torn. A Command Voice basically orders its victims to do something they know they should not be doing, to the point they feel something terrible will happen if they don't do it.

At least, that's what a Mental Health case manager told me a couple years ago. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, so talk with a professional about this. There are treatments, I'm told, to OCD and to Command Voices.

But I also suffer from a touch of OCD. It's one of the things, I think, that keeps me from sticking to one project until it's finished. I finally decided I wanted to force myself to stick to a project until I got it done. I wrote down the order of my next two projects and posted it on my cork board above my typewriter stand. This seems to give me the structure I need to keep going with the project I'm presently on.

But for your problem, I would talk to a psychiatrist. They can subscribe medications that can help you take control over these things. They can also help you figure out things you can do to control the urges or at least respond to them in a manner that will help you take control over your life.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the very best with your endeavors.

:)

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I would definately seek out the help of a doctor and a therapist. I didn't write anything for three years due to depression. It's a different mental illness, but I found that after treatment, with both medicine and therapy, that I could write again.

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
By the way, you are certainly NOT the first, the last, or the only person with this, and as you can tell by other posts, it doesn't have to control your life or stop your writing. I'm with the others, talk to your doctor. Think of it this way: if your friend thought they were diabetic, wouldn't you want them to see a doctor? Same thing with OCD. See your doc! It's interfering with how you want to live your life, and that sucks. And your doctor may have some non drug therapies to try as well.

Raindrops

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mackenziedrewnovels.com
I don't suffer from OCD, but I do have Depersonalization. Has anyone heard of this condition or have any of you ever experienced this? This condition is when you feel detached from yourself. Another way to put it; it's like you're walking around in a dream state, you are only a pair of eyes and you feel as though you are falling further inside yourself and you can't get back to reality.

I have had this twice in my life. It's from anxiety/panic attacks.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, Raindrops, sure hope your feeling like this goes away. Much good luck. Welcome to the cooler and hope you'll like it a lot.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't suffer from OCD, but I do have Depersonalization. Has anyone heard of this condition or have any of you ever experienced this? This condition is when you feel detached from yourself. Another way to put it; it's like you're walking around in a dream state, you are only a pair of eyes and you feel as though you are falling further inside yourself and you can't get back to reality.

I have had this twice in my life. It's from anxiety/panic attacks.
I've heard of it but not experienced it. I actually intend for a future MC to have it.

Tattered and Torn and anyone else: If you're concerned about something like OCD or any other condition affecting you daily life, you should consult a doctor. Research it. Educate yourself. See what doctors say (because a first opinion is never as good as many opinions, especially if you're not satisfied with what you've heard - don't settle!). Research some more. Decide how you want to handle things. Be proactive about your health and put yourself first. You deserve to feel as good and healthy as possible, so take care of yourself!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've suffered this a couple of times in the throes of a deep depression. It's pretty horrible.

- Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.