Insecurity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Over the past few months i've come to the conclusion that a good portion of those here at AW are insecure with themselves. As a psychology minor i've seen patters... those who have posted thousands upon thousands of posts, well can only mean one thing--they don't feel good about themselves.

How can I prove this? Well I can't...but anyone willing to share intimate details about their problems clearly has issues and should be addressed with family members. I have never ONCE posted a personal issue about my family on here nor will I ever.

There are folks on here that think they're experts and basically trash people's work that they've put their heart and soul into. That's exactly why I don't share my work any longer.

And there are several "Clicks" on here too so i've noticed. You know who you are and don't deny it (you probably will) but it's true. That's another sign of insecurity or being afraid of the truth.

In high school I was in marching band...we had other non-band members make fun of us, avoid us, whatver...it meant they were scared of failure.

My point is that this is a place to learn to write--yes there are some valid threads but if you look at the SYW threads you'll see dozens of views and three or four posts, that's it. Instead people spend their entire days on here--Yes I lurk every now and then just to see--and trust me it's obvious they stay all day.

You can lash out, say what you will but honestly I don't care to be associated with you people any longer.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. Most of you might remember me from the infamous "GJ Meltdown" thread. It is for this...and this reason alone...that I am happy to say this will be my only post in this thread.

As I said in the aforementioned thread, I'm the first to admit that this site (like many others) does have an element of cliques and bullshit crits. But, there is a ton of knowledge to be gleaned here, as well. Cast aside the said b.s. and concentrate your area of focus on what you find valuable/useful to your growth as a writer.

That is all. :)

Lyx

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
1. The word is "cliques."

2. Is this a flounce? Because it's way too tell and not enough show. Your flounce needs more flair to be truly fabulous!

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with you aspiringwriter.

I know I'm fairly new here but I feel this is a good place to be. When I first posted up my prescence on the Newbie board I had welcomes flood in within the first hour.

I'm sure there are one or two parasites lurking around and certainly there are people who don't share my opinions on people (which is good) but I like this community.

Shall I make you a cup of tea?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Gee, Asp. As a psychology minor you seem to have major issues. A second flounce? Is this necessary? ;)

Okay, let's look at this a few different ways. As far as SYW goes, yes, you'll see lots of views and a smattering of replies. But that doesn't mean anyone here owes anyone else a critique. I'm not sure why you keep chomping at this bit. There are plenty of websites/message boards with SYW forums. Maybe there's one out there that will be of more help to you. Look around and see.

You can lash out, say what you will but honestly I don't care to be associated with you people any longer.

Okay, then just lurk. Read the threads you want and learn. That's cool.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Flouncing, then coming back three days later to have yet one more last word, doesn't enhance your credibility much, aspiring.

I'm sorry you feel this way now, but leaving may be the right choice for you. If you're going to leave, though, don't look back -- just go.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Not impressive as far as flounces go. I have to give it a 2. The first flounce was slightly better...

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh, there was a first flounce? Re-flouncing is so lame.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Sister Sledge wisdom:

We are Family

Living life is fun and we've just begun
To get our share of the world's delights
(HIGH!) high hopes we have for the future
And our goal's in sight
(WE!) no we don't get depressed
Here's what we call our golden rule
Have faith in you and the things you do
You won't go wrong
This is our family Jewel

*snap your fingers and groove along with me in your chair*

I'll be singing this song all day now dang it! lol

Gehanna

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I'm not even going to bother. It was funny at first, now it's just pathetic. Flouncing and then being resurrected as a troll in hopes of getting people to say "Oh, you're so right, we ARE a bunch of insecure losers -- show us the way!!!" is beautifully ironic, though. If WE are the insecure ones, why do YOU keep posting on this board?

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid that I agree with the OP.

There are a ton of cliques here. They are the ones who enjoy writing and sharing. It is my experience that they actively contribute and stay.

Then there are the insecure ones. It is my experience that all they do is stir up crap and won't stay gone.

It is up to each member to decide if they are cliquish or insecurish.

It does not take a genius to sort them out.... hmmmmmm?

Reaction score
...but anyone willing to share intimate details about their problems clearly has issues and should be addressed with family members...

Those of us who don't have families or whose families are the problem would thank you for your sympathy.

I've made some good friends here, particularly in recent months, swapped email addresses, chat to people on MSN when I should be working...Just because people make 'first contact' online doesn't mean they're any less sincere in offering the hand of friendship. Doesn't mean they'll never meet one day.

There are folks on here that think they're experts and basically trash people's work that they've put their heart and soul into. That's exactly why I don't share my work any longer.

Diddums. Get used to rejection. It's part of a writer's life. Can't handle it, stop writing.

And there are several "Clicks" on here too so i've noticed. You know who you are and don't deny it (you probably will) but it's true. That's another sign of insecurity or being afraid of the truth.

Cliques. It's spelled cliques.

In high school I was in marching band...we had other non-band members make fun of us, avoid us, whatver...it meant they were scared of failure.

Or maybe they just didn't like you.

My point is that this is a place to learn to write--yes there are some valid threads but if you look at the SYW threads you'll see dozens of views and three or four posts, that's it. Instead people spend their entire days on here--Yes I lurk every now and then just to see--and trust me it's obvious they stay all day.

See ya.

Reaction score
Hey!

I just realised...if someone says, "You're all losers 'cause you spend all day on here," wouldn't you have to spend all day on here yourself to know that?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Those of us who don't have families or whose families are the problem would thank you for your sympathy.

Amen to that. Sometimes it's helpful to get relatively-anonymous, objective advice about stuff. And sometimes it's just good to vent!!!

I've made some good friends here, particularly in recent months, swapped email addresses, chat to people on MSN when I should be working...Just because people make 'first contact' online doesn't mean they're any less sincere in offering the hand of friendship. Doesn't mean they'll never meet one day.

AMEN again!! I've met some great friends online -- including that one that I'm married to. Oh, what's he called...it's on the tip of my tongue...oh yeah! MY HUSBAND. The internet has created an immense pool from which we can meet new friends, gather new insights about the world, etc. And it got me laid. *shrug*

For what it's worth, I've had a blast meeting some new friends here. Not everyone is going to like each other or get along, but oh well. Such is life. That, and this place gives me a great escape during my lunchbreak at work, or when I have no work to do and I'm trying to ignore my co-worker.

What's more?? I've actually learned a lot about the craft of writing since I've been here. So there.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aspiring, I think you're just feeling hurt.

There are many members on AW. I feel that we all have various reasons for being here.

Yes, it is a writing board. That is the primary purpose of AW. Lots of different boards to choose from depending on your area of interest.

But Office Party, for example, in my opinion IS the water cooler, just as many offices have a water cooler. There are a number of people here who work from home and don't have any co-workers. It's nice to be able to "talk" to other writers about non-writing things--current events, movies, books, spouses, food, exercise, etc. And for those who do have jobs out there in the world, perhaps they just need a little break from their jobs, wanting to connect with other writers, joke around a bit to lighten up their days.

As for Share Your Work, I will tell you how I personally feel about that. When I read a poem or story I like, if I have time I will comment on it and tell the poet/writer what I liked about it, why it worked. But in general, if I read a poem or story that is either poorly written or just doesn't grab me for whatever reason, I will not comment on it at all. No, the writer won't learn anything from this, but I don't have time to go over stories line by line and tell someone why it doesn't work.

I think we learn things here by asking questions and studying poetry and stories that DO work. If you read published novels, poetry and stories and really study them, you will definitely learn something about good writing.

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
As for Share Your Work, I will tell you how I personally feel about that. When I read a poem or story I like, if I have time I will comment on it and tell the poet/writer what I liked about it, why it worked. But in general, if I read a poem or story that is either poorly written or just doesn't grab me for whatever reason, I will not comment on it at all. No, the writer won't learn anything from this, but I don't have time to go over stories line by line and tell someone why it doesn't work.

To add to this, the number of replies on the post is probably not indicative of all the feedback the writer gets. I've been known to reply by way of PM, just because I didn't feel it was necessary to post it publicly. Views:Replies doesn't really mean much.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Hoi. I just wanna fly in here real quick and call you a douchebag before this thread gets locked.

Douchebag.

I'd second this, but I've already had my thread locked for sticking in. :D

Uh... dude. Chill. This is a message forum, not, yanno, a coffee lounge. There is advice to be had, and lots of it, and yes there's a lot of chatting going 'round. But it'd be kinda boring if there weren't. <--this comment meant for Aspiring, and not Truman. :D

All work and no play, etcetera.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid that I agree with the OP.

There are a ton of cliques here. They are the ones who enjoy writing and sharing. It is my experience that they actively contribute and stay.

Then there are the insecure ones. It is my experience that all they do is stir up crap and won't stay gone.

It is up to each member to decide if they are cliquish or insecurish.

It does not take a genius to sort them out.... hmmmmmm?

Hee hee. You are a genius. :D

Reaction score
The best way to deal with a flouncing trollthread is to derail it.

So...lovely weather we're having. Anyone fancy a cup of tea?

Reaction score
To fancy = Brit. slang; to like the look of someone or something/ to desire, to long for.

Now. Would anyone LIKE a cup of tea?

Status
Not open for further replies.