PDA

View Full Version : I a loved one is killed and you cannot be reached

laurel29
04-14-2007, 02:59 AM
If a loved one was killed (or commits suicide - somewhere other than home) and you were not home, or reachable by phone, for several hours after identification, would the police leave a message on an answering machine asking you to contact them? Would they wait at a residence for an extended period of time to contact you? What is the procedure for contacting the deceased's spouse? Thank you all so much.

Puma
04-14-2007, 05:30 AM
Hi Laurel - Not quite your answer but when my nephew died unexpectedly in Oregon and the police did not have any information as to who his family was (billfold was stolen), they looked around his apartment for mail with return addresses. They found a piece with a return address of an uncle and contacted him first thinking he was my nephew's father. Puma

laurel29
04-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Thanks Puma. I'm sorry about your nephew.

Dang, I left out the f in the title of the thread. It should be IF. I think it is obvious what I meant, but do you by any chance know how to fix it?

Puma
04-14-2007, 05:50 AM
Hi Laurel - From what I understand, only Mods can change thread titles. So, my suggestion is ask one of the Mods if they can fix it for you. (And don't be embarrassed, you're not the first one). Puma

kristie911
04-14-2007, 07:27 AM
The police probably wouldn't leave a message on the answering machine. More common (at least in our area) is to leave a card in their door asking them to call when they get home. It would be unusual for them to give a death notification over the phone.

In fact, if a death occurs in our area and the person's family lives somewhere else, they will request an officer from that area to do a death notification face to face.

Puma
04-14-2007, 10:06 PM
You're right Kristie (and thanks for jogging my memory. Again, on my nephew, when the police did finally know who his parents were, they contacted the local police here in Ohio who then contacted a minister to go with them to give the parents the news. Not an easy task. Puma