Oh Raspberries!

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
I was supposed to go to band camp with a bunch of middle schoolers today. It was cancelled due to weather. So I came home and thought I could bang off my entry to the fangsfurfay hook contest as seen on Agent X's blog. After I sent it, I checked the fangsfurfey blog (yeah, I'm slow!) and they had more than enough entrants way early this am.

Day late and dollar short, that's me.

It was still a useful exercise. So useful, in fact, that I am wondering why I didn't write a hook before starting the darn book. My character's character really came alive in those few words....her problem...the bad guys....and her major problem at the major climax. Sha-bang! What I had been looking for, I found! :D

Now I get to go rewrite what I had already to make it more in line with what came spilling out of my brain this am.

Still, too bad about band camp, huh? I know SoccerMom feels my pain!:roll:

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
I'm so glad it was helpful, even if you didn't get to use it before they had enough entries. Congrats on missing band camp! Just thinking about herding middle schoolers to anything at all makes me twitch a little bit.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmm, raspberries :D Well at least it wasn't all bad - and you didn't have to go to banned camp!

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet! They bumped up the limit to 250 and I am #246!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you midwife! And I do indeed feel your pain! I spent the morning freezing at a soccer game. And I get to do it twice more today.

Brrrrrrrr

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
That's strange, Lily, cause I sent mine way after they stopped accepting them the first time....I hope you hear soon! Lemme know what your # is!

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Callalily, I also entered at 12:00 and some change, and I haven't got mine.

I'm guessing they're working from last to first (newest email on top). But I could be wrong. I hope nothing ate my hook. :(

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
I bet they are working backwards then.

P.S. Love your dialogue in your sig, Novelust.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Bummer. Didn't make it into Round 2. But I got some very good comments, and I think the time I spent working on my hook was definitely worth it.

Good luck, everyone! Fingers crossed for you!

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Callalily, I think you got some good comments too and I love your premise.

As for my hook (246), they have requested more pages. After I run around my house screaming for a bit, I guess I need to pull out those pages, eh (they need some serious CPR)?

Last edited: