PDA

View Full Version : Sentence Problem

triceretops
04-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Gorian broke the silence. “My name is…” then he remembered and began again. “My name is big ass idiot."

In the case of the above sentence, is the word "then" capitalzed or lower case when following a sentence with ellipsis in it? And how many spaces are correct after the quote marks?

The two versions.

Gorian broke the silence. "My name is..." then he remebered and began again. "My name is big ass idiot."

Gorian broke the silence. "My name is..." Then he rembered and began again. "My name is big ass idiot."

thanks,

Tri

pconsidine
04-12-2007, 09:03 PM
If I recall correctly, you can actually go either way, though if you capitalize "then," you need to include a period after the ellipsis. I might go with the capitalized version for readability, but I don't think one is more correct than that other.

Of course, I'm more than ready to be overruled by someone with more recent editorial recall.

Carmy
04-12-2007, 09:36 PM
I agree, but I'm willing to be overruled by anyone more knowledgeable.

Marlys
04-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I'd go with the capitalized version and no period after the ellipses. I would also drop the word "then" and hyphenate the compound adjective "big-ass." One space after the quotation mark--these days, it's incorrect to put two spaces after any punctuation. Although it's not necessary, I think it would flow better with a comma after "remembered."

Gorian broke the silence. "My name is..." He remembered, and began again. "My name is big-ass idiot."

Jamesaritchie
04-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Exactly what Marlys said. But two spaces after punctuation is fine. As a writer, I still do so, and as an editor, I still prefer it because two spaces leaves just a touch more room for inserting proofreaders' marks, and for other editing chores. There is no "incorrect" about it. Darned few will even notice one way or the other, and even fewer will care. I have no idea how this one even got started.

Sandi LeFaucheur
04-13-2007, 01:32 AM
I'd capitalized Big-Ass Idiot. It's a name (even if only how he thinks of himself).

Jamesaritchie
04-13-2007, 01:40 AM
I'd capitalized Big-Ass Idiot. It's a name (even if only how he thinks of himself).

This can be an either/or, but if he's using it as a proper name, then, yes, it should be capped.

ErylRavenwell
04-13-2007, 02:57 AM
In between: There was a moment of hesitation, and he dredged his memory for the elusive name. Then it was suddenly recalled. Big-ass Idiot!

"My name...my name is Big-Ass Idiot."
Words like hesitation and memory can be further modified to spice up the clauses.

pdr
04-13-2007, 04:55 AM
I think the first sentence is fine providing the Big Ass Idiot name is capitalised.