Status
Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I recently read a non-fiction piece I wrote seven or eight years ago and while it's nowhere near publishable, it was still fun to read. I got a kick out of comparing my style now to my older work and wondered if any of you read your older stuff and what you thought of it.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Not if I can help it. :D

Okay, okay! I do read it sometimes. Cringing the whole time, usually. But it is interesting to see the difference, and occasionally I think there might have been a decent idea in there somewhere...

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
The strange thing was the non-fiction piece (one of only two I've written) wasn't that bad compared to some of my early fiction. It was honest; I didn't bullshit myself or any potential reader. Some of the early fiction, on the other hand... ;)

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
I think that it is important to read your old stuff. It gives you the opportunity to see how your writing skills have improved - and, who knows, there may be something there that, with your improved writing skills, you can turn into something that turns out to be great.

Cindy

Reaction score
I don't have any old stuff - binned it all.

When I read through it, it made me want to set fire to my head.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Scarlet. My old stuff reeks. I have some of the things I wrote as a child and my early poetry, but my mid-level stuff (highschool, college) made me cringe so badly that I chunked a lot of it. I try to pretend it never happened, although I recognize that it was necessary to get through that stage.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
If I happen upon something I wrote awhile ago, I take a peek to see if it's any good or not. Most of the time, it's terrible. But there are times when I see a paragraph or a sentence that gives me an idea for some new material. I save most of my writings--even when it's just a page--on my hard drive and thumb drive. I even have hard copies in a large (now overflowing) folder.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I read it from time to time just to see where I've been. My NF is stronger than my fiction (in the old stuff, anyhow), and often with the fiction I can tell what I was reading at the time. It's interesting to look back and see how my style's changed over the years.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Most of my early works are no more. I went through a purging stage, which preceded my non-writing stage. I do have a few things, but try not to look at them. I now refuse to trash anything.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yup. If it's unpublished old stuff, I would rewrite and make it better. If it's published old stuff, I would just read it again... just for fun. I actually think it's a good thing to notice that my old stuff kind of "sucked" or that my writing wasn't as good as now -- that means I'm improving and growing as a writer. It's a good thing.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I do. I start out with extreme trepidation - fear of finding some huge blunder that went unnoticed for years. But once I get passed that feeling, I really enjoy rediscovering things I said and seeing how much I've improved over the years. Sometimes I surprise myself because I'd forgotten saying this or that, and sometimes I even impress myself with a turn of phrase or particular sentence or paragraph. And hearing from a reader who just discovered something you wrote years ago is a kick, too.

But mostly it's good to see improvement.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I do sometimes. It can be very informative about things I'm doing differently, or sometimes the same habits that drag me down now are more visible in work that I haven't looked at in a while.

Also, for every three times I cringe at some old error I made or problem I'd fix, I have one time when I read a phrase and think, "I came up with that? I love it!" And then sort of wonder where this creativity is when I NEED it. :)

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read rejected stuff five years or younger. I feel that it can be rewritten and sold. Before that--no.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Of course. When I can find it. Often, it's not half as bad as I remember it/feared. It's also good because I can tell how I've grown and how I might still need to improve. Plus, it's a wealth of ideas.

Last edited:

FredCharles

Registered
Reaction score
When I need a good laugh, I read the first novel that I started. I love it, because I made every rookie mistake that you can imagine:

1. Overuse of adverbs and adjectives
2. Flashbacks
3. Passive sentences

The story starts with one paragraph describing a character, then goes into 3 pages of pointless backstory, lol!

xanthalanari

Registered
Reaction score
I always read my old stuff, because I never remember the details so it's like coming at it new. Plus I've never finished anything longer than a short story, so I have to read things again if I decide to go back to them or pillage them for good bits. :-D

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
I like to skim through old stuff. I've been using a computer to write since I was 12, and so everytime I got a new computer I would just transfer all the old stuff. There was the debaucle with trying to open WriteNow (anyone remember that?) files with Word, but I mostly got over it.

I go through to see what I can steal from myself. For such poor writing, some of my characters and their relationships were surpringly well developed and I like to steal bits of that.

It's also good to see if I can spot why the old stuff is bad...and hopefully if I have not eliminated it, I can do that now. In addition, it's fun to surprise yourself with things you've created but had completely forgotten about. Write enough thousands of pages over the course of a few years and your bound to forget things and finding them again is like reading someone else's work.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but not the stuff that I know will make my teeth feel all curly. Dunno why I'm keeping it. Waiting for the day I'll be brave enough to read it, I suppose. Agree with The Grift about nicking stuff from yourself. Transplanting characters from one setting to another and saying, "There. So you got out of a bad relationship with a controlling hoodie gansta-wanabee. Let's see how you fare against the undead, Missy."

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm with Scarlet...

You wanted to set fire to my head too?

:ROFL:

I think it's worth keeping older stuff if for nothing else than to see how far you have progressed.

I wish I'd done that too. But when I chucked all my old stuff, I was in a frenzy of "I'll never be any good." I couldn't see myself ever improving. And now I think I have, and I would have liked the chance to observe how much, by reading the very first draft of my trunk novel and comparing it to what I'm working on now.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Sure. I used to write a lot of slash though. Actually, that was all I wrote for a lot of years. *shines halo*

I heart slash and slash/yaoi. I've thought of it, but never put it down on paper (e-paper, whatever...)

One of these days I'm gonna. I have many couples in mind. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.