PDA

View Full Version : Look Me in he Eye has a cover

johnrobison
04-11-2007, 10:48 PM
They've finally given the final approval on my book's cover.

You can check it out here:

http://jerobison.blogspot.com/

giftedrhonda
04-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Okay, I LOVE that cover...CONGRATS!!

Stew21
04-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Great Cover, John! congrats on your book!

Saundra Julian
04-11-2007, 11:06 PM
What a great cover. Congratulations, John!

Claudia Gray
04-11-2007, 11:14 PM
What a fabulous cover! It's terrific. Congratulations!

KCathy
04-11-2007, 11:19 PM
It's great! It will definitely make people look twice to see what the book is about, but it's also just a fun picture that makes your topic look interesting instead of depressing. Fantastic choice!

Little Red Barn
04-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Really nice cover, John.

Calla Lily
04-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Great cover! Congrats!

BiggerBoat
04-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Awesome cover. Simple, elegant typography and a great photo.

Maprilynne
04-12-2007, 01:39 AM
I think it perfectly captures the theme of the book. Awesome!!!

brunoshouse
04-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Great cover! I am definitely buying the book.

johnrobison
04-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the responses. If all of you are indicative of the book buying public, I'll be all set! The feedback I've gotten on the book has been uniformly positive. The next beg thing will be the reviewers - what will they say?

CaroGirl
04-12-2007, 04:05 PM
That's a great cover, John; it's very eye-catching. Well done. This must be such an exciting time for you. Congratulations!!!

KCH
04-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Put me in the yea column too. It's a wonderful cover. Congratulations!

maestrowork
04-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Very nice. Congrats!

maddythemad
04-12-2007, 06:48 PM
What a great cover, John! Way to go-- you must be psyched!

RMS
04-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I love it! Congratulations!

Toothpaste
04-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Awesome cover! And so clear and simple! I'd definitely notice it on the shelves!

johnrobison
04-13-2007, 01:53 AM
Awesome cover! And so clear and simple! I'd definitely notice it on the shelves!

Well, that's what we want. It's got to stand out from the crowd at the biggest selling time of the year. I sure hope it can hold its own. It's like having your kid grow up and leave home, and you watch, do what you can, and hope for the best.

Judg
04-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Way cool!

Dantes
04-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Looks really good John. My envy grows.

johnrobison
04-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Looks really good John. My envy grows.

Thanks for your support. I know you're working on your own memoir, and I hope this shows people here that previously unpublished authors with interesting things to say do indeed get picked up by the major houses. So it's not all write, submit, reject, repeat.

Best of luck in your own writing.

Gravity
04-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Best of luck in your own writing.

You too. If only you hadn't stolen my name...:D

Nateskate
04-13-2007, 08:37 PM
That's a great cover. Glad to see you had a great audience reaction. (I read your Blog)

Nate

Susan B
04-14-2007, 02:19 AM
Really like the cover! Congratulations!

What it captures--and without words--is that kids with differences and challenges of all kinds can also be disarming, engaging, appealing. It is so important to tell that part of the story, too. As you undoubtedly do!

It bodes well..looking forward to reading your book!

(And meanwhile, I keep waiting for some good news from my own agent:-)

Susan

Chumplet
04-14-2007, 04:07 AM
With a foreward by Augusten Burroughs, Author of Running With Scissors. Cool!

Annie O
04-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I have to say that I love the cover - a picture says a thousand words...and all that. I think it captures the condition perfectly. Congratulations and all the best for the future. :)

johnrobison
04-15-2007, 02:56 AM
You too. If only you hadn't stolen my name...:D

Yes, you and a few other JRs. That's why I published the book under John Elder Robison.

johnrobison
04-15-2007, 02:57 AM
With a foreward by Augusten Burroughs, Author of Running With Scissors. Cool!

Well, my brother was the one that kept prodding me to write the book. We'll be doing events together this fall. Stay tuned.

Memoirista
04-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Well, my brother was the one that kept prodding me to write the book. We'll be doing events together this fall. Stay tuned.

Your brother, AB, who did the foreword, has three memoirs face out at the local Barnes and Noble. So the events together, plus the cover, should really help sales.

I wish you much success.

janetbellinger
04-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Perfect. Cool.

Redd Ryden
04-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Great cover, John! It says it all.
;)
Congratulations!

johnrobison
04-19-2007, 05:06 AM
There's more news today. The London Book Fair is going on, and Look Me In The Eye has sold in the UK. So all of you on that side of the pond will be able to read the book in time for Christmas, too.

And we've got a great producer for the audio book, which will get underway in a month or so.

More news to come . . .

Pat~
04-19-2007, 05:12 AM
What a GREAT cover, John. Congratulations! I can't wait to see it for real. :)

johnrobison
04-19-2007, 05:30 AM
What a GREAT cover, John. Congratulations! I can't wait to see it for real. :)

Pat, I will wait for you to tell me what you think when it comes out.

My editor and I went round and round, with language and dialogue. "Would a Christian teacher in a Texas school allow this book?"

And you, I find, are a Christian writer in Texas, with education experience.

However, we are now off to galleys and it's too late for changes. I hope it's OK, though. I tried to strike a balance and I hope I accomplished it. I hope I've written a book that any parent could enjoy, and also give her teen age child to read.

Pat~
04-19-2007, 05:44 AM
Pat, I will wait for you to tell me what you think when it comes out.

My editor and I went round and round, with language and dialogue. "Would a Christian teacher in a Texas school allow this book?"

And you, I find, are a Christian writer in Texas, with education experience.

However, we are now off to galleys and it's too late for changes. I hope it's OK, though. I tried to strike a balance and I hope I accomplished it. I hope I've written a book that any parent could enjoy, and also give her teen age child to read.

Thanks, John. I also am the mother of a teenage son with Tourette's, so am not unfamiliar with some of the challenges kids with neurological differences face. (He's attended both Christian and public schools; the latter met his specific needs much better.)

johnrobison
04-19-2007, 05:51 AM
Pat, I hope my story has a broad enough appeal that any young person who is struggling - from Tourette's, Asperger's, or anything at all - will be able to find inspiration in my book.

Pat~
04-19-2007, 05:55 AM
I'll try it out on my teenagers. ;) I'm sure it's very insightful.

Little Red Barn
04-19-2007, 05:59 AM
I'll try it out on my teenagers. ;) I'm sure it's very insightful.
I too will recommend it to my teen's highschool :)

peevy
04-20-2007, 02:27 AM
I love the cover!

It's very approachable and funny. Makes me want to read it.

PrettySpecialGal
04-22-2007, 10:04 AM
It's perfect! Nice choice, John. Think I'm going to have to get my hands on this one- I've worked with quite a few kiddos on with ASD- and my older son is a big guitar fan (the KISS stuff will really impress him)

Good luck with it-

and Congratulations!

Braydie
04-23-2007, 06:05 AM
johnrobison,

Congratulations - this is quite an accomplishment! Great cover. I just pre-ordered "Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's" and also ordered your brother's "Running With Scissors: A Memoir." Amazon says I'll receive them on October 6, and I look forward to that.

Asperger's Syndrome seems to have been a little known syndrome, or at least a seldom diagnosed one until recent years. I'm aware that it was "discovered" in the 1940s, though. My daughter's a registered nurse who, in her travels with her career Air Force husband, became friends with a woman who has two autistic sons and a brother with Asperger's Syndrome. I don't know all the details, but it's my understanding that, within the past ten years, when the friend was researching information about autism because of her first son's diagnosis, she ran across information detailing the signs and symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome. She realized those descriptions were representative of problems her brother had suffered throughout his life. She contacted him, told him what she'd discovered, and suggested he see a doctor and request to be tested for Asperger's Syndrome - something he and his family had never heard of - and he did, indeed, have it. As an adult, he was relieved to finally find answers to many of his questions.

Best of luck with the sale of your book. I'll be sure to tell my daughter about it, and she'll probably grab a copy, too. :) We're all rooting for you. :)

Braydie
04-23-2007, 06:33 AM
John,

This is a sort of afterthought. Wouldn't it be great to see your book listed as required reading for all people who are earning teaching degrees - and on the shelves of every school library?

Not every child in the world has ongoing quality pediatric care, and for all those children who go undiagnosed, or misdiagnosed with ADD or ADHD, it would be great to have alert teachers who might recognize the signs and symptoms of Asperger's disease - and steer the kids and their parents in the direction to at least discuss the possibility with their physicians. If it made only one child's life better - what a dream come true. :)