Status
Not open for further replies.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I know this is a bad idea, but in my file, I have put a pic of what I would like the cover of my book to be. It is at the very top and is not too big.

I think an agent/editor would be pissed to see this if it were sent to them. (Waste of space, time etc).
What do you think? Should I absolutely take it out or could it be a good vantage point (gets me a little noticed)?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't include the picture -- I think at this point it would tend to draw attention but in a negative way. The time to weigh in on the cover (if you get to weigh in at all) is after the book has been bought. Very few writers get cover approval, but more are allowed to at least weigh in or discuss their thoughts with a sympathetic editor; that's the time to show off the picture, I'd say.

ETA: Obviously, if your book is centered on visuals in some way -- it is a photography book, or you do illustrations, or something like that, my advice is different. But I didn't get the impression that was what you meant.

Last edited:

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Take it out. It just shows that you are an amateur, and will prejudice the editor even before they start reading. They don't want to any extra stuff to deal with. Just the story ma'am, just the story.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Take it out. It has no place in a ms. submission.

While you're at it, take out the pink fonts and scented paper as well. ;)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Take it off. Take it all off!

Wait....

What were we talking about?

Oh yeah. The cover. Take that off too.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Nice pic, maestro!

I like to wrap my manuscript in a string of themed origami creations.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
So should I not have put glitter and candy in my ms submission? And sent it as a gift bag?

I've talked about submission formats with a friend of mine who's putting together a small fiction zine, and we both agree that editors love chocolate :) However, it's generally a good idea to send it in a separate envelope ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.