PDA

View Full Version : Old aircraft (DC-3) question

Desert Author
04-11-2007, 07:06 AM
On the DC-3's reciprocating engine, if a pilot or ground crewman saw oil spray on the engine nacelle, what would they do? Would they check the oil level in an oil reservoir, or would they rely on the cockpit oil pressure reading to determine a proper oil level?

Thanks, jeff

PS. If you're a DC-3 pilot who flew on the line for a carrier, I'd like to talk to you further.

Higgins
04-11-2007, 07:16 AM
On the DC-3's reciprocating engine, if a pilot or ground crewman saw oil spray on the engine nacelle, what would they do? Would they check the oil level in an oil reservoir, or would they rely on the cockpit oil pressure reading to determine a proper oil level?

Thanks, jeff

PS. If you're a DC-3 pilot who flew on the line for a carrier, I'd like to talk to you further.

I've never flown anything except a gym mat (very tricky but they will glide quite a way)...but

I think the engines would be described as radial. I thought reciprocating only referred to pre-turbine steam engines. Note: apparently on this analogy, reciprocating in aircraft engines are essentially piston (internal combustion) engines. Of course on ships "reciprocating" engines are external combustion "piston engines"....

Radial, just refers to the arrangement of the pistons.

But here is an instruction manual:

http://www.theaviatornetwork.com/pdf/GTM-06-050221-Powerplant.pdf

Note that there are three different warning systems about the oil situation: pressure, temperature and how much you have in the tank.