Editing or Rewriting: Your expert opinions requested

kirstin_mccormack

Registered
Reaction score
In November, I was caught up in the fervour of Nano. I churned out page after page. I laughed at the sheer hilarity of the situations. I hit 50,000. I was proud.

And then came... after November.

Upon reading the novel, I realized all the plot holes, problems, etc that one normally notices come editing time. I decided that the book as it stood was too flawed. So I worked out an outline, and began to rewrite.

Here's the problem. It's not funny anymore. It's much better written. But it's no longer funny.

I felt like the humour was one of the big positives in the original story. Without the whimsy, it's just not (in my opinion) as compelling a story.

This is the conundrum then - I can either have a funny but flawed book, or a well-written but humourless book. I can't decide, and I can't work on the re-write until I decide...

Constructive advice, please.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I bet you don't have to sacrifice one to have the other. I may be talking out of the wrong orifice, of course, having so little info about the work. Maybe if you gave a couple of examples...

svecica

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alacademyweb.org
You could just polish them both up, give them different titles, and send them out. Let the publishers make the decision for you. ;)

Zahra's probably right though. Another round of rewrites and you could probably combine the two quite well.