PA, how do they manage to pay their employees

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
For as large of a national organization as PA claims to be, their yearly gross of what they are boasting, 4 or 5 million dollars a year is very pitiful.

Let's see, I live in Wisconsin, and I'll use a local midwestern organization as an example. Now this company is only regional, but they still have to gross a minimum of 1 million to 1.5 million per week to cover all of their employees earnings, expenses, and so forth.

If PA is a national organization, well then that's big time or supposed to be, but if they only gross 4 or 5 million a year, how are they paying all of their employees and expenses, much less their authors?

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
They have perhaps 70 employees, stuck in a townhouse in Fredrick MD (perhaps with a few telecommuters). They pay them poorly, and fire them when they're due for raises.

That's how they manage.

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
Didn't they move to a larger space? Some kind of converted warehouse? A PA employee said starting editors get $10 hour, which is very low for the area. Plus they don't get many holidays and the bare minimum in benefits.

The business model PA seems to emulate in this regard is fast food: pay your employees the minimum, give them no benefits, few paid holidays and make a profit on volume.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They moved from a single townhouse to a double townhouse. (I've been there; I've seen it.)

They've put their wonderful new POD machine into a different building.

Speaking of that new printing press.

What do they hope to gain from buying a press.

It had to be expensive.

Does anyone think that the cost savings of going through LSI is enough to pay back for the purchase?

Didn't see if they had a book sale promo to offset the cost. Ala NYT ad.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
Speaking of that new printing press.

What do they hope to gain from buying a press.

It had to be expensive.

Does anyone think that the cost savings of going through LSI is enough to pay back for the purchase?

Didn't see if they had a book sale promo to offset the cost. Ala NYT ad.

One might suggest that not going through LSI will allow them to use creative accounting practices with their authors' royalties, thereby saving money.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
One might also speculate that it's an old junker that they really have no intentions of using so that individuals won't bother the real print shop for information.

However, I suspect they did purchase a recent or new machine because I've heard they've announced their intention of printing in color. They might also believe they can load more manuscripts in a single day if they control the press and don't have to wait behind other customers (other POD publishers).

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
!0.00 dollars an hour is not really big money for what's supposed to be considered a highly specialized skill. Heck, I could stack boards at the local trust plant for two dollars more an hour than that.

Last edited:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
That's very much the same model that a local company uses to get temps for the manufacturing line. Of course, with them, the good ones at least have a chance of being hired permanently and moving up - which is not a bad gig if you get it.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Wonder what an editor at RandomHouse or S@S would say to only $10.00 an hour?

alisarish

Be honest..
Registered
Reaction score
If they have a printing press they would be using it for other purposes as well. Printing is a lucrative business worldwide, they can print labels, brochures, visiting cards, magazines, school books, promotional pamplets. Generally, a well managed printing press runs 24 hours. I believe they do not rely on ms alone, else they can not survive.

army_grunt13

Veteran Turned Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.legionarybooks.net
$10 / hour??? I wouldn't crawl out of bed for that! Heck, we hire college students to work as firefighters out on our ranges during the summer, and we pay them $3 / hour more than that!

One would think that an editor would be a highly-skilled trade, requiring education of some sort, as well as extreme attention to detail. Definitely not something you want to be paying people the same wage that they can make as a cashier at Walmart. Just out of curiosity, anyone know how much an editor at one of the big houses makes?

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
$10 / hour??? I wouldn't crawl out of bed for that! Heck, we hire college students to work as firefighters out on our ranges during the summer, and we pay them $3 / hour more than that!

One would think that an editor would be a highly-skilled trade, requiring education of some sort, as well as extreme attention to detail. Definitely not something you want to be paying people the same wage that they can make as a cashier at Walmart. Just out of curiosity, anyone know how much an editor at one of the big houses makes?

I expect the average cashier at Walmart could have done a better editing job on my book than PA did.

abemorgantis

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

In the NYC, I believe its about $18/hour but the cost of living is very high.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
For as large of a national organization as PA claims to be, their yearly gross of what they are boasting, 4 or 5 million dollars a year is very pitiful.

Let's see, I live in Wisconsin, and I'll use a local midwestern organization as an example. Now this company is only regional, but they still have to gross a minimum of 1 million to 1.5 million per week to cover all of their employees earnings, expenses, and so forth.

If PA is a national organization, well then that's big time or supposed to be, but if they only gross 4 or 5 million a year, how are they paying all of their employees and expenses, much less their authors?

Can you give a link? I'm curious to see if they have been losing money in the past years. I wasn't able to find a financial page on the internet. I"m thinking they lose a few $100,000 a year due to their bad reputation and poor products. And you're right, 4 million is pennies. The company I work for boasts billions, not million.
Bankruptcy
is on PA's horizon.

kim

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
If they have a printing press they would be using it for other purposes as well. Printing is a lucrative business worldwide, they can print labels, brochures, visiting cards, magazines, school books, promotional pamplets. Generally, a well managed printing press runs 24 hours. I believe they do not rely on ms alone, else they can not survive.

Running an efficient printing press requires skilled operators, and printing lots of different types of work is bound to entail more setup costs and more varied and expensive paper stock than just batches of identical-sized novels. (I used to work for a small-scale print shop. Conventional offset, not digital, but the principle's the same.) Assuming that they are using it for other work assumes that they are interested in earning money through actually working ;)

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
Running an efficient printing press requires skilled operators, and printing lots of different types of work is bound to entail more setup costs and more varied and expensive paper stock than just batches of identical-sized novels. (I used to work for a small-scale print shop. Conventional offset, not digital, but the principle's the same.) Assuming that they are using it for other work assumes that they are interested in earning money through actually working ;)

I think the jury's still out on whether they even understand that concept.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
And I, for one, am proud of my efforts to promote the truth about PA so that they can print only the work that resonates with them and fits like a glove. Strangely, though, that glove looks like there's a proctologist inside one end. I'm not sure PA's authors are going to like receiving the other end. ;)

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
And I, for one, am proud of my efforts to promote the truth about PA so that they can print only the work that resonates with them and fits like a glove. Strangely, though, that glove looks like there's a proctologist inside one end. I'm not sure PA's authors are going to like receiving the other end. ;)
:roll:

A cardiologist died and was given an elaborate funeral attended by fellow physicians, family members, friends.... A huge heart covered in flowers stood behind the casket during the service. Following the eulogy, the heart opened, and the casket rolled inside. The heart then closed, sealing the doctor in the beautiful heart forever.

At that point, one of the mourners burst into laughter. When all eyes stared at him, he said, "I'm sorry, I was just thinking of my own funeral ....I'm a gynecologist."

That's when the proctologist fainted.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I should have noted it's an unlicensed proctologist since I'm unaware if Miranda even has the proper training. ;)

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
"And for next week's staff meeting, our special guest will be a proctologist who will explain where Marketing is getting their sales projections from."

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com

:roll:

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread at work...