A little help

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Knight

Registered
Reaction score
So I always wanted to be a writer, I wrote a whole book in school, took over a year to do, and had a lot of re-writes, but eventually it got done, and it was something I was immensly proud of...

Then one day all my hard work was ruined, I had placed it on a disk, and the disk got ruined, I didn't make a copy, so I lost everything...

Since then I have had so many ideas, thoughts, whole films in my head, books that would be so good to read if I could put pen to paper, but I am not very good at describing things, and need some help to stay focused...

If theres anyone out there that would be interested in listening to ideas, helping me move forward, then I would love to hear from you...

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't plan to recreate your first book, perhaps you don't think it was all that good.

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
Basically what you've described in your first post is something that drives a lot of people to write, or paint or create in some other way. It's that mad rush of ideas and creativity that keep pushing and pushing at you and will not let you rest. You appear to have found your way to others of your kind here. Welcome. What to do next? Well, it would be very nice for you if some one was to take you under their wing and shower you with love and admiration and mentoring for the required number of years until you blossom as a writer.

Bad news. That's not going to happen.

Good news. It's not necessary anyway.

Basically you have just started to learn a new craft. Congrats on the finished work BTW. It doesn't really matter that it got lost because the chances are that it was unpublishable anyway, it being your first book and by the sound of it, written while you were still very young. (Don't attack me, all the young writers. Writers do improve with age and practise.)

So what do you need to do to get those ideas down on paper.

Begin, start writing.

Believe me, those ideas that are bugging you now will not be the one that are bugging you next year so you'll be running to catch up if you don't get a move on.

Find a writing group, online or in real life or both. Be an active participant. Crit and be critted. Take your crits well. Say thank you no matter how harsh the crit. Even if you dicover you have terrible flaws as a writer, rememebr it is possible to learn your way around any problem.

Write, write more, write loads.

Buy writing books. There's loads recommended around in various threads around here. Stephen King's, On Writing is good as are Orson Scott Card's how to write books. Another real good book is, "Self Editing for Fiction Writers"

Attend good writing courses. (Be advised, some are just time wasting money stealing nonsense, ask around)

Read s**tloads, and then some more.

There's no reason in the world why you cannot become a great writer. You found your way here didn't you? Now find your way the rest of the way.

May the force be with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.