PDA

View Full Version : FinePrint Literary Management

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Alexis127
12-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Thinking of pitching this agency. Does anyone have experience with this agency and particular agent?

Stace001
12-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Hi Alexis,
I haven't had anything to do with them myself, however there are a couple of great sites you can check out to do your own research.

agentresearch.com
Preditors and Editors

Both of these are fabulous sites and the people connected to them will help you out as much or as little as you need. Of course you also have the wonderful people who visit this site regularly who you will give you many great tips and advice. Good luck.

DaveKuzminski
04-06-2005, 08:36 PM
P&E recommends agents/agencies based upon sales, longevity, favorable comments by writers who were rejected, and so forth. We don't reveal the entire set of criteria because some scammers have tried to game the system before with semantics.

Needless to say, jerkitude is not one of the criteria that can disqualify an agent or agency. Jerkitude can be any of the following: failing to respond within ten minutes of reading a query or receiving a submission; using blunt language about the writer's head and shoulders; including ads for the agent's own books; scrawling incomprehensible marks on a returned cover letter; being human or nearly so; and so forth.

dragonjax
04-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Peter Rubie responded to my e-mail query within two days. And he requested a partial from one of my friends.

brinkett
04-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Did the people who aren't hearing back from Peter Rubie send by snail mail or email? According to the guidelines on his site, you can send a partial if you query by snail mail.

ETA: Russell Galen never responded to my query (email)

Kiva Wolfe
04-07-2005, 07:00 AM
The Peter Rubie Agency has a fabulous website. You should check it out. There's a complete Bio of June and other agents, including Peter Rubie.

http://www.prlit.com (http://www.prlit.com/)

zeprosnepsid
04-08-2005, 04:08 AM
I was recently rejected by her =) But she gave a pretty good explanation. They seem very legit. As others mentioned, check out the websites.

smallthunder
04-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Greetings!
Of 25 literary agents/agencies I have queried, five have not yet responded. I don't know if they are laggards or lost causes, but I thought I might as well throw out their names to hear what others have to say and/or let others know for future reference:

Willliam Clark Associates -- 8 weeks, 2 e-mails generated generic e-mail receipts

McHugh Literary Agency -- 9 weeks, 2 e-mails, nothing (not usual, I've read)

Dee Mura Literary -- 9 weeks, 2 e-mails, nada (not usual, I've read)

Southern Literary Group -- almost 8 weeks, nothing in the mail

The Vines/James Vine -- 9 weeks, e-mail, no response

victoriastrauss
04-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Vines and Clark are very successful, and probably very busy. Worth waiting for.

Dee Mura seems to have a rep for slow turnaround (Writer Beware has received a number of complaints). I think this agency does have a track record, but my impression is it isn't large.

Elisabet McHugh asks clients to provide multiple full ms. copies upfront--sometimes as many as 30, which is way more than would be needed, even for an auction. Again, she has what appears to be a smallish track record, but I've received and seen a number of complaints about inefficiency and nonresponsiveness. Several clients have reported no response despite repeated attempts at contact, and say they were unable to get info about where their mss. were submitted or whether/how they were rejected.

Southern Literary Group used to claim an association with Laurie Perkins (it still may), but I'm not aware it has any sales.

- Victoria

smallthunder
04-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks, Victoria, for your response -- I meant to type that I've read it is not UNusual for McHugh & Dee Mura to be so unresponsive. I think I'm brain-dead tonight (Taipei Time).
Then again, it's not UNusual for me to be brain-dead these days.
But that's another story ...
;)

DeadlyAccurate
04-15-2005, 06:43 PM
William Clark took about 4 months to reject me last year (email query and rejection).

aruna
12-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Anyone know Rashena Wilson from this agency? She is an "Associate Agent" there, or "Agent at Large". She is not on P&E and I can't find any books she's sold.

fuzzysteamroller
04-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Anyone have direct contact with her? I'm looking for general impressions of how she works with writers.

Pisarz
04-10-2007, 12:19 AM
I queried her. She gets a PPF rating from me: prompt, polite, form rejection.

Give it a shot!

badducky
04-10-2007, 11:48 AM
The Peter Rubie Literary Agency is one of the best in the business, though I don't know about Amy Tipton personally.

General impression? If she's offering representation, say yes.

lostlore
04-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Anyone know if she's currently accepting queries or not? I had the understanding that for some time she was not.

RitrChick
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Welp, lostlore, I e-queried her on 2/22 and haven't heard a peep. The web site did not mention that she wasn't taking new queries at the time I sent mine. They did say that it can take up to 2 months to respond...which I am very closely teetering on...

Anyone else query them recently?

RoccoMom
04-11-2007, 08:44 PM
i sent her a query last Tuesday and the next day I received an emai rejection. Looked like a form with the name inserted.

Just Me 2021
04-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I queried Peter himself two weeks ago and got a request for a partial a week later. He said it would be 8-10 weeks before he got back to me.

I don't know about Amy's response time.

RitrChick
04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
OK, I'm really starting to believe some of my queries are landing in some alternate universe. The same thing is happening with me at Firebrand. Grrrr...:rant:

Just Me 2021
04-11-2007, 10:08 PM
I would requery her in a couple weeks. E-querries seem to garner the best responses for me. A lot of my snail mail ones seem to have disappeared into thin air...

lostlore
04-11-2007, 11:18 PM
RitrChick, I'm well over 2 months now, and this is with a referral. But her profile was updated on Agent Query earlier this month, so maybe we'll be hearing from her soon.

RitrChick
04-12-2007, 04:53 AM
lostlore--are you talking over two months for a query??? Wowza! Maybe yours is in the same alternate universe that mine's in. ;)

In any case, since I am an instant gratification kind of gal, I e-queried her again today. If I'm gettin' a rejection, I want it fast.

Stay tuned...Oh, and congrats and best wishes on your partial request Just Me :)

victoriastrauss
09-19-2007, 07:44 PM
The Peter Rubie Agency has merged with the Imprint Agency and is now called Fine Print Literary Management (http://www.fineprintlit.com/).

- Victoria

Maprilynne
09-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Just wanted to add this from Publishers Marketplace.

"The Peter Rubie Literary Agency and the Imprint Agency are merging, effective October 1, to form FinePrint Literary Management. It will comprise eight agents from the two units, with Peter Rubie as CEO and Stephany Evans as president, joined by June Clark, Diane Freed, Meredith Hays, Gary Heidt, Janet Reid, and Amy Tipton."

It's more than just a name change and hopefully the new Agency will be heavy on the Stephany Evans philosophy and lighter on the Peter Rubie philosophy. I tell you, I am sick of getting spam from P.R. just because I queried him once. Stephany on the other hand was fabulous. Very kind and professional.

Pisarz
09-26-2007, 01:13 AM
I got ad messages from Peter Miller, not Peter Rubie . . .

Maprilynne
09-26-2007, 01:46 AM
OMG, I'm totally embarrassed now . . . You're right, it's Peter Miller, not Peter Rubie. So sorry! *Whistles as she slinks from the room*

Rikitikitavi
10-18-2007, 04:36 AM
June Clark is my agent. She's very nice and always informative. Also, when Bank of America fouled up a 20,000 dollar royalty option payment from Paramount Pictures for my first book, Peter was right there to solve the problem. There's no worry about Peter's honesty and the agency's credibilty. He used to be the Treasurer for the AAR, I believe.

BTW, Bob Shuman is a dear man. It is unfortunate that he got in over his head after leaving Kennsington's Citadel Press. He wanted to publish 2 of my books, but then his whole department was downsized. He is June's friend, so he finally set up as a part time agent. But it's very different being an agent and an editor, I suppose.

jamiehall
12-13-2007, 09:02 PM
I was trying to find out more about Amy Tipton at Fine Print, and I happened upon this interview (http://www.helium.com/smf/index.php?topic=15622.0). Mostly it is people asking her how to query or whether she'd be interested in their projects, but there is a bit of information I hadn't seen elsewhere - even though she takes YA, she doesn't take the hottest sub-genre of YA: fantasy.

Oh, and I just noticed the title of this thread has a misspelling, namely "Fine Print Literarary". Can a moderator fix that?

JAG4584
12-13-2007, 09:20 PM
[quote=jamiehall;1881625]I was trying to find out more about Amy Tipton at Fine Print, and I happened upon this interview (http://www.helium.com/smf/index.php?topic=15622.0). Mostly it is people asking her how to query or whether she'd be interested in their projects, but there is a bit of information I hadn't seen elsewhere - even though she takes YA, she doesn't take the hottest sub-genre of YA: fantasy.

I can't vouch for Amy personally however I can say that J Reid and June Clark at the agency are both very professional and have been easy to communicate with by e-mail etc. Shockingly (laugh) I made a mistake and queried two agents at the office and rather than it being a problemo it ended up becoming just a funny goof and no big deal so I like their sense of humor as well. If that helps any professional and a good sense of humor and I see the agents have lots of sales in their bags so that always helps.

RoccoMom
12-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Has anyone had any personal experiences with Amy Tipton, Meredith Hays or Janet Reid? I sent Stephany Evans some ms a while back, and she rejected me very politely. also, the website looks as if it hasn't been updated for awhile.

Giant Baby
12-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Has anyone had any personal experiences with Amy Tipton, Meredith Hays or Janet Reid?

Janet Reid is damn near universally adored, near as I can tell- particularly by her clients. She's smart and engaging and a very effective agent. Her blog is here (http://www.jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/). She specializes in crime fiction, but I saw her speak at the Backspace Conference last month, and she said that writers should never assume that she won't be interested in something if it's written well enough, regardless of genre.

Amy Tipton is the new kid on the block. Gives good form rejection.

I haven't dealt with Meredith Hays.

Lauri B
12-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Janet Reid is a friend of mine and I love, love, love her.

DeadlyAccurate
12-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Janet Reid is damn near universally adored, near as I can tell- particularly by her clients. She's smart and engaging and a very effective agent.

Yep. Not much more I can think of adding, but if you have any particular questions, feel free to ask here or PM me.

roskoebaby
12-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Amy Tipton is my agent and she's FABULOUS! She is on top of everything and very professional AND enthusiastic. I've talked with another client of hers and she feels the same. She is GREAT!

jgold
01-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I just received a partial request from Stephany Evans. Has anyone else had any recent experience with her? Thanks.

DeadlyAccurate
01-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I got an emailed Christmas card from her. Does that count? :)

jgold
01-08-2008, 02:37 AM
That totally counts. :D

jamiehall
01-09-2008, 07:54 AM
I've been researching Diane Freed and came up with this:

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-cxANUGczeqtwznFffpVcZiCk?p=473

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-cxANUGczeqtwznFffpVcZiCk?p=470

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-cxANUGczeqtwznFffpVcZiCk?p=463

RoccoMom
01-09-2008, 03:23 PM
all the agents at Fine Print seem to be extremely polite.

Voyager
01-09-2008, 03:30 PM
I queried Peter Rubie back on November 5th....crickets.

Nakhlasmoke
01-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Also crickets here (17th November). At what point to you think it's okay to requery (if at all) when you get no response to an equery?

Popeyesays
01-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Also crickets here (17th November). At what point to you think it's okay to requery (if at all) when you get no response to an equery?

It's customary to let 90 days go by before you nudge the agent. More if his guidelines say so, or less if the guidelines say so. But in the absence of the agent spelling out a time frame, 90 days would not be unreasonable.

Regards,
Scott

Nakhlasmoke
01-09-2008, 06:28 PM
It's customary to let 90 days go by before you nudge the agent. More if his guidelines say so, or less if the guidelines say so. But in the absence of the agent spelling out a time frame, 90 days would not be unreasonable.

Regards,
Scott

Thanks. :D I'll do that.

Actually, i'm so stuuuupid, cause it was the 17/10, so that's um...October. Just goes to show what having kids does to your brain.

SJAB
01-09-2008, 09:55 PM
They say on their submissions page

"If we are interested in your project, we will request more information"

Which I took to mean they don't reply if not interested, saying that I queried on the 30/10/07 and had a request for a full synopsis and three chapters later that day from Mr Rubie.

Nakhlasmoke
01-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Ah fair deal. Guess I'll chalk that up as a no thanks then.

Congrats on the requests SJAB :D You must have something there.

SJAB
01-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Ah fair deal. Guess I'll chalk that up as a no thanks then.

Congrats on the requests SJAB :D You must have something there.

Thanks Nakhlasmoke. This time I seem to be getting the requests for samples, no fulls net, but it is early days.

bluemoonscribe
01-12-2008, 12:07 AM
I signed with Stephany Evans, president of Fine Print, in late Oct. She sold my three-book series by mid-November. She is a wonderful agent! Insightful, kind and very, very honest. I have been very happy with Fine Print representation so far.

RoccoMom
01-12-2008, 07:30 PM
I signed with Stephany Evans, president of Fine Print, in late Oct. She sold my three-book series by mid-November. She is a wonderful agent! Insightful, kind and very, very honest. I have been very happy with Fine Print representation so far.

Congrats! What type of series?

bluemoonscribe
01-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Congrats! What type of series?

Supernatural romantic comedy.

jgold
01-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Congratulations bluemoonscribe! And thanks for the info on Stephany Evans--she sounds fabulous.

DeadlyAccurate
02-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Just an update I saw on Janet's blog. FinePrint has a new agent, Colleen Lindsay, who's actively looking to build her list. She specializes in SF and fantasy and also does graphic novels.

clara bow
02-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Here's a linketh to her blogeth:

http://theswivet.blogspot.com/2007/01/submission-guidelines.html

I'm querying her today. At least the rejection will be quick!

Shady Lane
02-14-2008, 03:47 AM
I queried Colleen Lindsay this morning and got a partial request less than an hour later. Good enough so far ;)

escritora
02-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Congrats, Shady Lane! Let us know what happens.

caromora
02-14-2008, 04:24 AM
Congrats, Shady Lane! Good luck. :)

Shady Lane
02-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks, guys! I'll keep ya posted :)

xiaotien
02-16-2008, 09:00 PM
i e-queried rubie on 2/11.
i think if you don't get a response with 2 to 3
weeks, and "no response" means no interest.
it pretty much means there is no interest.

i will try someone else in the agency
in three weeks time most likely, if rubie
doesn't respond.

Marva
02-16-2008, 10:01 PM
I queried Colleen Lindsay this morning and got a partial request less than an hour later. Good enough so far ;)

WTG, Shady! Best of luck.
:D

Hopcus
02-20-2008, 02:57 AM
Good luck with the partial!

Michelle M
02-21-2008, 02:00 AM
Hey Shady Lane, can I join the requested partial party? Apparently Ms. Lindsay is going to be focusing on partials for the next couple of days, so I expect we'll both hear back shortly.

escritora
02-21-2008, 02:03 AM
Good luck, Michelle M!

clara bow
02-21-2008, 03:01 AM
Hey Shady Lane, can I join the requested partial party? Apparently Ms. Lindsay is going to be focusing on partials for the next couple of days, so I expect we'll both hear back shortly.

congratulations!

andracill
02-21-2008, 03:22 AM
Requested full this morning...let the waiting begin!

escritora
02-21-2008, 03:24 AM
Requested full this morning...let the waiting begin!

great news just keeps on coming!

Michelle M
02-21-2008, 04:04 AM
WHOO HOO! Good luck. Keep us posted.

jkorzenko
02-21-2008, 04:51 PM
I queried on Sunday -- no response yet.

Rilke Fan
02-26-2008, 04:53 AM
My WIP is a very fast-paced, hard-hitting mystery (I've been reading too much Robert Crais, I think ...) :) and I'm thinking of querying Janet Reid. I also have on my list a bunch of other agents after researching the genre, e.g. Scott Miller at Trident and Nat Sobel, who seem great too.

But one question I'm trying to figure out (forgive the newbie): Victoria Strauss says on her blog that sales are a key signal of legit agents, because it shows they live off commission and not 'reading fees'. Does anyone know if Janet Reid does other work to support herself? She seems very smart on her blog but I looked on Publishers Marketplace and I can only find a handful of sales and most to smallish houses. Anyone have more info on this agent?

IceCreamEmpress
02-26-2008, 05:07 AM
But one question I'm trying to figure out (forgive the newbie): Victoria Strauss says on her blog that sales are a key signal of legit agents, because it shows they live off commission and not 'reading fees'. Does anyone know if Janet Reid does other work to support herself? She seems very smart on her blog but I looked on Publishers Marketplace and I can only find a handful of sales and most to smallish houses. Anyone have more info on this agent?

She absolutely doesn't do "reading fees"--she's one of the most scrupulous folks out there, and incredibly well-respected in the agent community. As to how she pays her bills, I couldn't tell you; maybe a spouse or partner with a good job, maybe good investments made during her years as a book publicist, maybe private income, who knows?

She certainly has a reputation for being interested in quirky, offbeat fiction that has more of a literary bent than most genre stuff. If you're looking for a blockbuster deal from a big publishing house, she may not be the right choice for you.

priceless1
02-26-2008, 05:37 AM
Does anyone know if Janet Reid does other work to support herself? She seems very smart on her blog but I looked on Publishers Marketplace and I can only find a handful of sales and most to smallish houses. Anyone have more info on this agent?
Janet is an agent. Period. Unimpeachable. I have one of her clients and can say she's one of the most delightful people I've ever worked with.

rachel.moore.hawkins
02-27-2008, 03:17 AM
I e-queried Colleen Lindsay on February 15 and got a request for a full this afternoon, so an 11 day turn around. I get the impression she's usually a little faster, but she's been bogged down with queries/partials. Her email was really nice, too. Of course, anything that doesn't say "Dear Writer, kindly f#%k off" sounds really nice to me!

escritora
02-27-2008, 03:19 AM
"Dear Writer, kindly f#%k off" sound really nice to me!

Ha! That's great.

Good luck.

xiaotien
02-27-2008, 03:27 AM
I e-queried Colleen Lindsay on February 15 and got a request for a full this afternoon, so an 11 day turn around. I get the impression she's usually a little faster, but she's been bogged down with queries/partials. Her email was really nice, too. Of course, anything that doesn't say "Dear Writer, kindly f#%k off" sound really nice to me!

go rachel!!! =D

i queried her on 2/21 but i've lost
faith in major fantasy agents. they
just don't seem to like my novel, it's
not fantasy enough? or too different. boo.

juneafternoon
02-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Janet, to me, seems to be downright fabulous. She kind of gives off that vibe that she's really knowledgeable about the business, knows it forwards and backwards, and is a real hardworker with her clients. To me, that's all I'd like in an agent.

clara bow
02-27-2008, 08:43 AM
I e-queried Colleen Lindsay on February 15 and got a request for a full this afternoon,

Fingers crossed for you!

Michelle M
02-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Congratulations, Rachel! *sending good luck vibes your way*

xiaotien
02-27-2008, 07:11 PM
it's been 16 days since
querying p rubie and i just assumed
he rejected via non-response.

i equeried colleen and received
a 6 day reply asking for a synopsis
and 6 pages--as she didn't have enough to
go on.

good luck, everyone!

jkorzenko
02-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Fingers crossed for you, Rachel. You have an awesome pool of agents interested in your work. Congratulations, again.

Just as an FYI for all future queriers (don't think that's a word), if you check out Colleen's blog via the link provided earlier, you'll note that she has very specific query guidelines which include not only a short synop and first six pages but also a brief bio.

Julie feeling like she's coat-tailing Rachel around AW

jamiehall
03-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Does anyone know if Janet Reid does other work to support herself? She seems very smart on her blog but I looked on Publishers Marketplace and I can only find a handful of sales and most to smallish houses. Anyone have more info on this agent?

She recently made a significant deal (http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2008/03/breaking-news-ive-stopped-stalking-jack.html) so I would not think of her as small potatoes.

A "significant deal" is defined as $250,000 to $499,000. And I've never heard a hint of a second job in her blog or otherwise. It sounds as if agenting is her sole career and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

DeadlyAccurate
03-05-2008, 01:51 AM
It sounds as if agenting is her sole career and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

Considering I've gotten business-related emails from her at all hours of the day and night, I don't know when she'd have time for another career.

priceless1
03-05-2008, 02:54 AM
Deadly, she's actually a vampire. Agenting is her sole occupation.

jamiehall
03-13-2008, 04:32 AM
In this post in her blog (http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2008/02/friday-night-at-question-emporium-4.html) Janet Reid says:

I took on a debut YA author recently cause her book was so marvelous I just had to have it. I had a lot of fun calling up new editors and introducing myself and the book.

Does anyone know who Janet Reid's new YA client is? I'd be quite interested in knowing. I believe this is Janet's very first YA writer.

caromora
03-13-2008, 06:38 AM
Does anyone know who Janet Reid's new YA client is? I'd be quite interested in knowing. I believe this is Janet's very first YA writer.

She posts over at Verla Kay's. I believe her book is urban fantasy.

jamiehall
03-13-2008, 06:58 AM
She posts over at Verla Kay's. I believe her book is urban fantasy.

Thanks. It looks like she posts with the name SusanA over there. I'm currently trying to register so I can talk to her (guests can't see a lot of things at that site, like emails of posters).

caromora
03-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Jamiehall--since we're not supposed to post about other forums here (I believe...unless I'm mixing AW up with another place), I left you a message via reputation. :)

I sent a query to Colleen Lindsay the other day. Haven't heard back yet, though.

CaoPaux
03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
AFAIK, the only limits are to not bring problems with other forums here, and to keep promotions in their place. We wouldn't be able to talk about half the things we talk about, otherwise. :)

IHeartWriting
03-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Just an FYI that Colleen Lindsay posted a "query update" on her blog late last night. Unfortunately your chances of getting a positive response seem slim.

xiaotien
03-13-2008, 10:10 PM
i just saw that. i haven't gotten a reply yet,
but i think soon. she was sick and had to catch up.

jkorzenko
03-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I haven't received a reply, either, and I queried back on the 17th of Feb. I think she's still catching up and rightfully so -- it's not even been a month. ;)

Phoenix Fury
03-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Same here--glad I'm not the only one! I was afraid my E-mail had been sucked into the ether somewhere.

P.F.

jamiehall
03-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Janet has posted more tips about querying her (http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2008/03/ten-quick-tips-about-that-query-letter.html) and it looks as if she doesn't like agent bait.*

*Agent bait: the sentence or two where you say something relevant to that agent to show you've done your research on them personally, which also shows that your query isn't a form letter.

IceCreamEmpress
03-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Janet has posted more tips about querying her (http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2008/03/ten-quick-tips-about-that-query-letter.html) and it looks as if she doesn't like agent bait.*

*Agent bait: the sentence or two where you say something relevant to that agent to show you've done your research on them personally, which also shows that your query isn't a form letter.

To me, that seemed more like "Don't throw that stuff in unless you have something that's actually RELEVANT and NEW INFORMATION," which I think is a good rule for all query letters.

Karen Duvall
03-15-2008, 04:36 AM
I use agent bait a lot, but I'm sincere when I do. ;) But if I don't have anything relevant to say, I don't. A lot of the agents I've queried are people I've heard speak at conferences over the past several years, or one of their clients is a good friend of mine, or I'm a fan of an author they represent. I just have to say something if I have something to say, you know? It hasn't worked against me yet. If I were to query Janet, for instance, I'd tell her how much I enjoyed meeting her at Colorado Gold in 2002, when she emceed the agent panel. She was hilarious.

Regarding Colleen Lindsay, I saw her update on her blog and wagged my head with dread. I'd queried her on the 15th of Feb, got a request for a partial about four or five days later, and sent it immediately. She said she read 12 partials and didn't request the full from any of them. I have a sinking feeling mine was among the ones she's read. Aargh! :e2bummed:

xiaotien
03-15-2008, 07:27 AM
karen, congrats on the partial!
i do think if she had rejected your partial,
you would have been emailed already?
i think it's a tally post-contacting of
writers.

otherwise, it'd just be cruel.

jkorzenko
03-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Karen, I agree with X. You would have received her rejection by now if yours was one of the partials read. Don't count your rejections before they arrive. :)

Julie

clara bow
03-15-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm not holding my breath, but I had queried Ms. Lindsay on the 17th as well and just received a request for a partial. She is still lightening quick in her responses even if one's query is stuck in her spam filter. yowza!

Phoenix Fury
03-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Well, I queried before then, and followed up with a requery following her instructions afterwards, and still nothing--so not sure what's going on in my case.

P.F.

jkorzenko
03-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Yay, Clara. Best of luck. Crossing fingers for you!

Julie

Kasey Mackenzie
03-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Sounds like she requested partials from a few of us AWers. Good luck everyone! =)

Karen Duvall
03-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Karen, I agree with X. You would have received her rejection by now if yours was one of the partials read. Don't count your rejections before they arrive. :)

Julie

You're obviously right, Julie. Sometimes I get on a negativity role and have to remind myself: The Secret! The law of attraction!

Good luck to all AWers with partials and queries out to Colleen. We sure seem to have a lot of faith in this gal, and she's a brand new agent! She has no track record to speak of. But considering who she's aligned herself with, I s'pose that's justification enough, eh? I mean, Peter Rubie and Janet Reid? Who wouldn't want to be associated with such enlightened and successful agents. ;) I've met them both and was very impressed. I was in a workshop with Peter, and I heard Janet speak on an agent panel.

clara bow
03-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Well, I queried before then, and followed up with a requery following her instructions afterwards, and still nothing--so not sure what's going on in my case.

P.F.

I remember her posting that she does read all queries...except for the guy who queried her with a bunch of attachments. Those she just deleted. I know that isn't anyone here! :D

Agents sometimes hold on to queries and think about them for a while--happened to me once or twice. So it's possible she has your query and is just taking some time to decide.

On the other hand, the agency did have a couple email snafus, and it would be terrible if your query got lost at exactly those times. If I were you, I'd wait one more month and then follow up gently with only a brief status request.

Phoenix Fury
03-16-2008, 01:01 AM
That's good advice, Clara, and I will do just that...though I'm now getting a little leery of E-mailing again, if both of my last ones didn't get through to her (everyone else reports getting my E-mails just fine). The time lag in this business is truly incredible... Ah, well. :)

P.F.

KikiteNeko
03-17-2008, 06:01 AM
I queried Colleen Lindsay at this agency about a week ago. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Kasey Mackenzie
03-17-2008, 06:21 AM
I sent Colleen my requested partial about a month ago and just got a request for the full. So she must be working hard to catch up from her illness. This will be my third full out right now and one of the other agents was VERY enthusiastic about the partial, and Colleen was kind enough to say she thinks I'm a very good writer with a gift for dialogue, which isn't easy. I tell you, it's these pieces of encouragement that keep me going when the interminable waiting in this process gets me down!

Wishing others lots of partial and full requests!!!

KikiteNeko
03-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Kasey-

I didn't know she was ill?

Kasey Mackenzie
03-17-2008, 06:44 AM
I read her blog periodically and she mentioned being sick recently. Her blog's at http://theswivet.blogspot.com/ if you want to check it out.

xiaotien
03-18-2008, 05:26 AM
Wishing others lots of partial and full requests!!!

that's awesome kasey!

congrats!

i've yet to hear from my initial equery.

/waits

xiaotien
03-18-2008, 10:00 PM
20 day request this morning for 50 - 60 page
partial via email.

apparently sent after midnight east coast
time, too.

andracill
03-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Just curious if anyone here thinks they might be one of the three fulls mentioned by Colleen Lindsay in her blog...she requested a full from me about a month ago; I haven't heard yet, but it seems surprising that there might only be three in all that time.

rachel.moore.hawkins
03-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Awesome, Cyn! I'll have my fingers crossed for you!

jamiehall
03-23-2008, 01:38 AM

She's got a blog here (http://susanadrian.blogspot.com/) in case anyone else was wondering. Looks like paranormal genre.

rachel.moore.hawkins
03-30-2008, 01:25 AM
Nevermind!

xiaotien
03-30-2008, 01:27 AM
rachel, congrats on getting an agent!
i'm so jealous and happy for you! =D

Shady Lane
03-30-2008, 07:03 PM
I just got a rejection from Colleen Lindsay on a partial. Guess I forgot to email her telling her I have representation elsewhere. Oh well...at least she didn't want the full!

xiaotien
03-30-2008, 07:07 PM
shady, on a sunday?
and congrats on getting an agent!

when did you submit the partial if you remember?

i'm waiting for a response, too.

jamiehall
03-31-2008, 04:47 AM
Colleen recently put up more detailed guidelines about how to send her a partial or a full (http://theswivet.blogspot.com/2008/03/helpful-suggestions-for-submitting.html).

reenkam
03-31-2008, 05:48 AM
I queried Colleen back on February 28th, but I haven't received a response. From her blog I would guess that she's through all her February queries....do you think mine got lost in cyber space, or should I keep waiting?

Giant Baby
03-31-2008, 06:18 AM
Naw- hang tight! I queried her on 2/23 and just received a request for a partial last night.

I think she's growing quickly. She's in a great agency with impressive collegues. I'd take her reported/blogged response time with a (slight) grain of salt for the short term. She's getting a little farther back by the day by the looks of it!

Tasmin21
03-31-2008, 06:58 AM
I queried Colleen back on February 28th, but I haven't received a response. From her blog I would guess that she's through all her February queries....do you think mine got lost in cyber space, or should I keep waiting?

I queried on the 29th and was just wondering the same thing. Good to know she's still getting through them!

thequotegal
04-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Got a pass from someone there but really feel my book was better for someone else. Anyone know their policy?

Horseshoes
04-01-2008, 09:12 AM
It's generally ok to query another agent at the same agency, though a bit of time passing could be a Good Thing. Some agencies share mss amongst themselves quite a bit, so a no is a no from all of them and other agencies are fine w/ try, try again w/ a diff ag at the same agency(Annie Hawkins @ John Hawkins says hers runs this way). I don't know 'bout Fineprint, but if you don't see it as a problem w/ what you read at their site
http://fineprintlit.com/
query on.
If you're still wiggy 'bout it, consider retitling before you resubmit.

Maui Author
04-01-2008, 09:17 AM
On Janet Reid's blog, she said you can query everyone at the agency. Go for it!

JanDarby
04-01-2008, 10:13 PM
OTOH, some agents say they'll pass a manuscript along to a partner if they're not interested themselves but think it might be that partner's cuppa', so it may be a waste of time.

reenkam
04-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Naw- hang tight! I queried her on 2/23 and just received a request for a partial last night.

Wow, you were right. I got a request for a partial on Sunday.

Now I've just got to do a little more waiting.......

My-Immortal
04-03-2008, 04:17 AM
I queried here last week--nothing so far.

Good luck to everyone.

take care
:)

Shady Lane
04-12-2008, 11:27 PM
xiao--She requested the partial like 2, 2 and a half months ago, I'd guess.

jamiehall
05-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Colleen Lindsay just got interviewed.

The interview is here (http://sff.onlinewritingworkshop.com/newsletter/current.shtml) but you have to scroll down quite a bit to read it (it is titled "Interview") and there doesn't seem to be any way to link to it more directly (I assume it will eventually scroll entirely off the page since it is just this current month's posts, if anyone can figure out how to link to it more permanently it would be appreciated). It contains a lot of information about her experience and background, and is quite long. One of the more important tidbits: she says to wait four weeks before asking her whether your query was received.

KikiteNeko
05-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Hey guys... I mentioned equerying Colleen Lindsay on 3/15 and I just got a request for the first 100 pages and an apology for the long wait.

Tasmin21
05-12-2008, 02:11 AM
Colleen Lindsay posted on her blog yesterday that she was going to try to have all queries answered by the end of this weekend, and all partials/manuscripts (up to 4/15 I think?) read by the end of next weekend.

IceCreamEmpress
05-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Colleen Lindsay posted on her blog yesterday that she was going to try to have all queries answered by the end of this weekend, and all partials/manuscripts (up to 4/15 I think?) read by the end of next weekend.

And she had an insane number of queries to read. I admire her frankness about that stuff--I wish she represented genres I write because I think she would be very cool to have as an agent.

jamiehall
05-24-2008, 01:35 AM
Colleen Lindsay just updated her submission requirements:

http://theswivet.blogspot.com/2007/01/submission-guidelines.html

andracill
05-30-2008, 02:27 AM
After a few server probs (on the Fineprint end, I believe), CL read my full and gave me a personalized no with revision suggestions. She said she'd like to see it again if I revise.

I appreciate her extra work!

RoccoMom
05-30-2008, 02:46 PM
After a few server probs (on the Fineprint end, I believe), CL read my full and gave me a personalized no with revision suggestions. She said she'd like to see it again if I revise.

I appreciate her extra work!

That sounds promising!

CTaft
06-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Peter Rubie requested a partial off an e-mail query back in March. He got back to me in the time-frame he specified. Sadly, it was a rejection, but Mr. Rubie still remains on my dream agent list.

JenWriter
06-18-2008, 08:47 PM
What genre did you send him, if you don't mind me asking?

gettingby
06-18-2008, 08:55 PM
What is the specified timeframe? I equeried, and it's been several weeks. Does that make a difference?

CTaft
06-18-2008, 10:44 PM
He replied to my e-query within two days, then said he would get back to me on my partial in 8-12 weeks, and it was just 12. My novel is a thriller with a horse racing backdrop. Rubie says on their website that he was partial to "literate thrillers" and mine has more emphasis on character than most in the genre.

sheadakota
06-23-2008, 04:53 PM
I queried Colleen last week, got a request for a partial in 15 minutes! She seems pretty cool-

Mr. Anonymous
06-26-2008, 09:56 PM
I sent Peter Rube an e-query, he responded with a request for a three chapter partial + synopsis. I got a reply around two weeks later (even though he warned me it might take 8-10 weeks before I get a response) asking for revisions on my partial. I just sent the revised version out... Now I'm getting nervous/paranoid and wishing I spent more time on it. The revisions he asked for were fairly minor, but I'm worrying if maybe I should've done more, been more careful, gah. I hate this process. I want an agent now. lol.

marie2
06-27-2008, 12:08 AM
It can be quite nervewrecking, especially when the days/weeks/months start piling up. We'll be cheering for you Mr. Anonymous & everyone else in the waiting process! :D

clara bow
06-27-2008, 06:09 AM
I sent Peter Rube an e-query, he responded with a request for a three chapter partial + synopsis. I got a reply around two weeks later (even though he warned me it might take 8-10 weeks before I get a response) asking for revisions on my partial. I just sent the revised version out... Now I'm getting nervous/paranoid and wishing I spent more time on it. The revisions he asked for were fairly minor, but I'm worrying if maybe I should've done more, been more careful, gah. I hate this process. I want an agent now. lol.

Good luck!

Mr. Anonymous
06-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'll let you know how it ends up, one way or another.

FionnJameson
07-15-2008, 04:55 PM
*I've been lurking here so long, it's a wonder I don't have lichens growing out of ears and under my fingernails*

Anyways, just queried Colleen Lindsay with my UF. :) Hoping for some good news!

RoccoMom
07-15-2008, 06:13 PM
*I've been lurking here so long, it's a wonder I don't have lichens growing out of ears and under my fingernails*

Anyways, just queried Colleen Lindsay with my UF. :) Hoping for some good news!

Didn't Colleen just make a big sale to Pocket? A debut UF?

Tasmin21
07-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Colleen has had a partial of mine since the end of March, and hasn't responded to a status poke, so I'm not quite sure what's going on there.

FionnJameson
07-15-2008, 06:47 PM

I believe so, but does that mean that my chances have just shrunk even more?

RoccoMom
07-15-2008, 07:07 PM
I believe so, but does that mean that my chances have just shrunk even more?

For a supposedly tight market, i sure see a lot of sales:)

clara bow
07-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Colleen has had a partial of mine since the end of March, and hasn't responded to a status poke, so I'm not quite sure what's going on there.

Same here. There's no mystery really. She's just trying to catch up. If you read her blog it's been a rollercoaster ride for her both professionally and personally. She had high ambitions of being a fast responder but then the reality of agenting caught up with her, lol!

Kasey Mackenzie
07-16-2008, 04:55 PM

Yes, and I was tremendously excited to see that sale! Colleen was actually the first agent to offer me representation a few months ago, and I agonized for a couple of days before making my final decision. I was confident she would definitely break in as an agent soon, and I'm glad to see she did. I have a lot of respect for her.

jenniiyq2
08-04-2008, 10:58 AM
I equeried Amy Tipton almost 3 weeks ago, she asked for a full right away... Still vowing not to refresh my inbox! Waiting... waiting... waiting...

RoccoMom
08-04-2008, 02:18 PM
II hate this process. I want an agent now. lol.

I used to feel the same way - once you get an agent, it's not all that much different, except you have someone pulling for you. It all takes time.

jamiehall
08-06-2008, 05:18 AM
I used to feel the same way - once you get an agent, it's not all that much different, except you have someone pulling for you. It all takes time.

Yeah. Try reading this thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93652) for some scary perspective on the issue!

:e2thud:

sheadakota
08-06-2008, 05:30 AM
I read on Colleen Lindsay's blog that if you are waiting on a partial or query response from her, she will try to get back to you by September as she has been inudated with an insane number of queries- THat's why she hasn't reponded to any nudges yet either-

susangpyp
08-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Colleen Lindsay did a "query dissection" on the FinePrint Lit blog today

http://fineprintlit.blogspot.com/

jamiehall
08-26-2008, 01:32 AM
There's a new agent there: Joanna Stampfel

She is quite new, but at an established agency and with experience doing agency-related stuff.

Has anyone yet had specific experiences with her?

Here's what I've found so far:

-Subrights deals for her (scroll to the bottom of the page) (http://www.fineprintlit.com/news/index.php)
-An introduction to Joanna by Colleen Lindsay (http://theswivet.blogspot.com/2008/08/new-acquiring-agent-at-fineprint.html)
-A writer's blog post about Janet Reid and Joanna Stampfel (http://monicaspence.blogspot.com/2008/06/death-race-5000-or-funny-thing-happened.html)

Does anyone know more? Who are her actual clients?

Colleen Lindsay
08-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Hi gang -

Joanna is still an assistant agent, and although she's made sales of her own, they were all co-agented deals with other more experienced agents in the office. Like any new agent, she's starting fresh and looking to build her list. And I think she has great taste!

Cheers!

Colleen Lindsay

Carmy
08-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Ooh! Hello Ms. Lindsay, nice to meet you.

No doubt you've read all the good things being said about you and the agency on AW. I hope it made your day because you deserve it.

Thanks for joining us.

CarolSanDiego
09-04-2008, 12:30 AM
How cool is that - Colleen Lindsay popping in to say hello.

After getting some AW help on my query, Colleen requested a partial from me and I sent it off today. She seems like the ideal agent to have; my fingers are crossed!

JenWriter
09-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Good luck, Carol!

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
09-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Carol, how long between query and request?

mlhernandez
09-04-2008, 01:41 AM

Not Carol, but...

I queried Colleen last Tuesday and received a partial request about twelve minutes later. She's super quick!

Oh, and she updated her submission guidelines (http://theswivet.blogspot.com/2007/01/submission-guidelines.html) on Sept. 1. She discusses her response times in the guidelines, if you're interested.

Good luck on the partial, Carol!!!

CarolSanDiego
09-04-2008, 01:44 AM

Overnight. It was a re-query- lucky for me my crappy, original query got lost in cyberspace so I got a second chance.

CarolSanDiego
09-04-2008, 01:45 AM
Thanks mlhernandez - good luck to you, too!

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
09-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks guys. I saw her blog post re gmail problems and mine was from that window. Just re-sent.

JenWriter
09-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Hmm, maybe mine got lost in cyberspace too. I queried over a month ago.

clara bow
09-04-2008, 04:34 AM
fwiw, Colleen Lindsay passed on my partial. True to her word, she got it done by September (I had originally queried in March, I think). I couldn't tell if it was form or not...but it was encouraging nevertheless.

MsJudy
09-04-2008, 04:47 AM
Joanna Stampfel passed with about a 2-day turnaround on my query. Her form reject says she's swamped already, surprised how word gets around! Considering she's not even listed on their website yet....

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
09-04-2008, 04:57 AM
Quick rejection.

MsJudy
09-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Quick rejection.

Yeah. Pooh. My old query got lots of those. The new one, not so many. But only one partial request so far....

Marva
09-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Joanna Stampfel: I figured why not? If it takes her awhile to reply, no problem with me. I'm not patient, but world-weary and broken in to wait.

I did notice on QueryTracker that she's asked for partials from a few folks already.

JenWriter
09-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Marva - I queried Joanna yesterday and got a reply the same day.

auntybug
09-05-2008, 08:55 PM
JoAnna - Instant Rejection - both on Kids Fantasy & Womens fiction.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
09-06-2008, 12:35 AM
One day partial request from Joanna. And Jud, I meant I got a quick rejection from Colleen.

Branwyn
09-06-2008, 01:58 AM
I queried her a few months ago, haven't heard back.
Is it September already? I did a lot of querying in July.

sheadakota
09-06-2008, 02:12 AM
I'm still waiting to hear about a partial I sent Colleen Lindsay. I sent it to her at the begining of June. I think I can wait a little longer to nudge I guess.

shameless
09-06-2008, 02:13 AM
IMHO, Colleen Lindsay gave me one of the rudest rejections I've ever received. A very succinct... "Not for me." While I know she's very busy, it was so dismissive that the rejection hurt more than usual.

JenWriter
09-06-2008, 02:20 AM
For those of you who sent things in June/July, her blog states she had gmail issues with some submissions and queries from that time. So, you might want to check in with her.

Nakhlasmoke
09-06-2008, 09:56 AM
IMHO, Colleen Lindsay gave me one of the rudest rejections I've ever received. A very succinct... "Not for me." While I know she's very busy, it was so dismissive that the rejection hurt more than usual.

Hahaha I've received plenty of those from various agents.

It's the nature of the business.

Sit back, chill, and don't take it all personal-like.

shameless
09-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Hahaha I've received plenty of those from various agents.

It's the nature of the business.

Sit back, chill, and don't take it all personal-like.

I just think good manners should be used in all situations. Even if she was in a hurry, how about... Not for me, but thanks for submitting. JMHO, but a few polite words ease the sting. And I do know it's the nature of the business, but I have also dealt with lots of agents/editors who are every bit as busy as Ms. Lindsey and take the time to use the manners their mothers taught them.

Repunzel
09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I loved Colleen's voice on her blog; she sounded like such an upbeat, approachable person. Then I read the specifics on her submissions requirements and changed my mind. She states in an authoritarian voice that a synopsis longer than one page is proof to her your ms has problems and she would automatically reject a submission with a synopsis longer than one page.

Most agents I'm considering say short synopsis; one to two pages maximum. They don't get all nuts over a detail like this. I'm sure Colleen will defend this requirement, stating she knows what she's doing. But I could never work with someone who was inflexible and this one requirement is too rigid for me. Yeah, I know I'm being over-sensitive and probably foolish, but that's how I feel. I still like her blog, though.

As for Stephany Evans: I've had some email exchanges with her over the years and I cannot imagine a lovelier person with whom to work. Kind, smart and encouraging to a new writer, I only wish she appeared more open to thrillers. I see light suspense on her list, but doubt that encompasses what I have written. Sigh

JenWriter
09-06-2008, 08:23 PM
shameless - The form rejection I received from her did thank me for submitting. It was a short email, but I found it to be very polite.

priceless1
09-06-2008, 09:00 PM
She states in an authoritarian voice that a synopsis longer than one page is proof to her your ms has problems and she would automatically reject a submission with a synopsis longer than one page.

Most agents I'm considering say short synopsis; one to two pages maximum. They don't get all nuts over a detail like this. I'm sure Colleen will defend this requirement, stating she knows what she's doing. But I could never work with someone who was inflexible and this one requirement is too rigid for me.
Repunzel, it might be more comforting for you to pay more attention to the message rather than the delivery. Authors have no idea the HUGE amount of queries that cross our desks that are summarily rejected because people can't or won't read simple submissions guidelines. Or they do and think those guidelines are to keep the tourists out. It's frustrating.

Colleen is doing writers a favor by trying to educate them to how agents and editors think. All too often we see synopses that go on for pages, and it's because writers either lack the ability to condense the meat of their stories into a cohesive page, or there is something wrong with the story, meaning too much is going on.

As for Stephany Evans: I've had some email exchanges with her over the years and I cannot imagine a lovelier person with whom to work.
I agree with you. Stephany is a sweetheart, and I enjoy doing business with her.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
09-06-2008, 09:33 PM
shameless - The form rejection I received from her did thank me for submitting. It was a short email, but I found it to be very polite.

Same here.

shameless
09-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Same here.

Wow. So I didn't even merit that. That makes me feel good... <sigh>

Repunzel
09-06-2008, 09:57 PM
priceless1: All I'm saying with respect to Colleen's guideline is a teeny, weeny bit of flexibility goes a long way. Most writers understand a short synopsis is two pages maximum and most agents request just that. When an agent states that they will dismiss, out of hand, any submission whose synopsis is longer than one page because that agent "Knows" the two-page synopsis means there are problems with the ms is an agent who is too inflexible for me. Just for me. Not for every other writer out there.

Sure I could be wrong; Colleen may prove to be the greatest agent-oracle of all times and the one-and-a-half page synopsis will damn us all. But I'll never know for sure because I won't be querying her, and for that, I'm disappointed.

There are at least two-hundred agents, mostly good ones, who represent what I write. I've yet to read on the submissions guidelines of the hundred or so I've researched so far that a submission will be deemed unworthy based on a two-page or one-and-a-half page synopsis versus a one-page synopsis. All of these agents are seasoned and I'm guessing they know enough to spread their nets wide just as we writers have been advised to do.

Colleen Lindsay
09-07-2008, 11:54 PM
priceless1: All I'm saying with respect to Colleen's guideline is a teeny, weeny bit of flexibility goes a long way. Most writers understand a short synopsis is two pages maximum and most agents request just that. When an agent states that they will dismiss, out of hand, any submission whose synopsis is longer than one page because that agent "Knows" the two-page synopsis means there are problems with the ms is an agent who is too inflexible for me. Just for me. Not for every other writer out there.

Hi Repunzel -

Just stepping in to clarify something. Here are my submission guidelines. (http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=7796136499832906292&postID=2820820165790093794) I've gone through them several times and nowhere do I state anything about rejecting out of hand a query whose synopsis was more than one page long.

This may be the blog post to which you are referring (http://theswivet.blogspot.com/2008/02/more-things-to-consider-when-sending-me.html), but if you read through it again, you'll see that what I said was: "These are suggestions, not hard and fast rules, and bear in mind that every agent is different, and as such will prefer different types of queries."

I will say that for the record, every editor I have ever spoken to has expressed his or her desire to see a synopsis that is no more than one page long.

I'm sorry you think I'm inflexible, but as you say, there are hundreds of other agents out there to query and it's important that you find someone with whom you mesh well.

All the best,

Colleen Lindsay

Calla Lily
09-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Popping in with my 2 cents:

I just received a rejection with an invute to rewrite and resubmit from Janet Reid. What a terrific agent to spend so much time on my ms. Specific suggestions on what didn't work AND compliments on what did. Sure, rejections are NOT what we want to hear. But much applause to a classy lady.

And you can be certain I'm heading to the rewrite desk for another chance with her!

Repunzel
09-08-2008, 04:22 AM
"Your Synopsis: Ideally you should have a concise (one or two paragraph) synopsis in the body of your query. But you're welcome to include a longer separate synopsis with the pages you paste into the body of the query. Your synopsis should be no longer than one page. This is the standard length that most editors are looking for. If you can't collapse your story into one page, one of two things is evident: either there is something very wrong with your story or there is something very wrong with your writing. And that just means you still have some work to do. Being a writer means being able to control words, after all. The best way to start is by editing your synopsis."

Hi Colleen -

I really appreciate you responding to my angst-ridden comment. I really felt you were a good prospect to query as I was reading through your submissions guidelines until I got to the above paragraph. I've already stated my feelings with respect to the wording, but perhaps I've misinterpreted the message therein.

If I get to the point where I am working with an agent of course I'll do whatever they suggest to get a submission ready for them to show to editors. But at the querying-the-agent level, I believe agents need to cut writers some slack. We've slaved over our manuscripts, query letters, long and short synopses. We're worn out and beaten down, yet we're excited about starting new novels. We need encouragement at this point, not someone telling us we're lousy writers because we can't condense a lousy synopsis from 1 1/2 pages to one. That to me is rigid thinking.

But perhaps I'm being over-sensitive. It's just that I haven't seen wording quite as narrow as this on other agent's websites. I want to work with someone who will help me become a better writer and get published, but also someone who is open to my ideas and is willing to do some give and take while remaining the professional who knows what's best for my career.

rosepddle
09-08-2008, 08:00 AM
"Your Synopsis: Ideally you should have a concise (one or two paragraph) synopsis in the body of your query. But you're welcome to include a longer separate synopsis with the pages you paste into the body of the query. Your synopsis should be no longer than one page. This is the standard length that most editors are looking for. If you can't collapse your story into one page, one of two things is evident: either there is something very wrong with your story or there is something very wrong with your writing. And that just means you still have some work to do. Being a writer means being able to control words, after all. The best way to start is by editing your synopsis."

I am also one of the many excited about querying Ms. Lindsay. I admit I was a wee bit frightened about the above comment. My MS is 100k and that to me translates into a 1000-1500 word synopsis and that equals about 5 pages. I thought to myself that there would be a whole lot missing if I had to cut it down to less than 500 words double spaces. But then I started thinking, an agent can't really want a fully detailed synopsis and they are only asking for one page so I should make it just a longer version of my two paragraph synopsis in my query. There will be a little description of the beginning, a little of the middle and a little of the end and that will be that. When I look at it that way, it doesn't make my ulcer flare! :D
Granted, I have a 5 page, 2 page and now a 1 page synopsis at the ready. Those who don't have a specific request for page numbers get the 5 page. Those who want no more than two get the 2 page and all the rest will get the 1 page. I swear, I'd rather write 50 novels a month then deal with all these queries and summaries!

JenWriter
09-08-2008, 08:04 AM
For those worried about the one-page synopsis, my trick was to focus only on the main plot. All subplots were cut out, and I only included the most important plot points for the main. It really helped in cutting it down. Hope this helps.

Repunzel
09-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks Jen writer for the advice. I could cut it down by 1/2 a page to one page, but I refuse to do it to satisfy one agent's stringent demands. I will query agents who understand that we writers are mature, capable adults, not helpless children to be ordered around by a dictatorial boss. I like my independence as a writer (yes, I've made some money at this gig) and unless I get very, very desparate, will not knuckle under to someone who "speaks" to me like an underling.

Nakhlasmoke
09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Repunzel, I'm afraid I don't quite understand your attitude to cutting down a synopsis.

Many agents have a list of guidelines they would like writers to follow when submitting. It's hardly an unusual thing Ms Lindsay is asking.

Like Rosepddle, I ended up having a variety of queries and synopses tailored for the different agency specs. It's just part of the business, and it shows how professional your attitude is if you're willing to adjust your query letter to follow the guidelines.

Having said that, it's your business who you choose to query, and if you feel that a certain agent's personality will clash with yours, then you are most likely right.

Calla Lily
09-08-2008, 03:41 PM
What Nakhla said. :) I also have more than one synopsis and query letter, depending on the agent. I also get paid to write, but one of the reasons I have my current steady gig (besides, well, I seem to be good at it) is that I was willing to revise to my boss' specs.

However, much good luck to you and I hope you connect with an agent soon!

Repunzel
09-08-2008, 04:16 PM
I guess I'm not expressing myself very well. My point is not that I can't or won't cut my synopsis - no biggie - but that Colleen, who has only been agenting for a short time, should make such hard and fast inferences from the length of a synopsis, i.e., that either "there's something wrong with the story" or "very wrong with the writing" if we have a synopsis longer than one page. This is just plain silly, IMHO. Yes, this is one agent's take on the subject, but I still find it suggests rigid as opposed to creative thinking which is not conducive to learning new things or compromising. It's just a sixth sense thing on my part: I won't query someone unless I get the sense we'll work well together. Again, just me.

Irysangel
09-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I think you're being way too sensitive about the whole thing. Colleen has only been an agent for a short time, but she's been in the publishing business for well over a decade, so she knows her way around.

The concept behind a synopsis is simply to show that you know how to pull a plot together. No subplots should be in your synopsis. No sweeping emotional character growth (unless that IS your plot). It should be the hard-boiled, crunchy parts of your story, nothing more. An editor wants to read it fast. A huge chunk of the publishing world absolutely loathes synopses because they're boring as heck, and no one wants to read a long one. My last agent wanted NO synopses. She hated 'em.

FWIW, I've worked with 2 agents now and have an editor. I've constantly turned in 1-page synopses and the only complaint I ever had was on one that was 3 pages. Heh.

Giant Baby
09-08-2008, 06:59 PM
And while she's only been agenting a short time, Colleen has also already made a number of sales. She knows what she's doing.

I'm afraid you're confusing writing with publishing, Repunzel. Writing is creative and flexible, but publishing is business and to be in business, you need to show up with what's expected. I don't think you'll find many writers who aren't sympathetic to the frustrations, but as we're all similarly creative people, yours is a hard argument to get behind. It's difficult enough to succeed for those willing to follow a clearly defined guideline and are grateful for the information. Arguing the information is too specific strikes me as counter productive, but hopefully you'll find an agent with a similar mindset.

Good luck.

Repunzel
09-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Irysangel - Thanks for the good advice.

FWIW - My definition of an agent who "knows her way around" is someone like Barbarba Poelle over at Irene Goodman's. Although she was listed as an assistant agent less than a year ago, she has posted fourteen deals in under a year, several of them significant. She has read, and sadly passed, on material from a previous novel, but in the process was very upbeat, smart and encouraging and didn't seem to sweat minor details. I'd kill to work with someone like her and I fully intend to query her on my new ms.

I'm done here. Beat this dead horse to a pulp.

priceless1
09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
...at the querying-the-agent level, I believe agents need to cut writers some slack. We've slaved over our manuscripts, query letters, long and short synopses. We're worn out and beaten down, yet we're excited about starting new novels. We need encouragement at this point, not someone telling us we're lousy writers because we can't condense a lousy synopsis from 1 1/2 pages to one. That to me is rigid thinking.
I know you said you're done here, but I feel it's important to remind writers that we have little choice but to make assumptions based on the quality of overall queries that cross our desks. Authors who give us what we're looking for - a one page synop - tells us that we're working with someone who understands the business. There are many who don't, and Colleen explained some of those pitfalls as a way of providing self-evaluation. Authors who get upset at the way we do things have a higher risk of being on the outside looking in because it's unlikely we'll change our modus operandi to cater to authors' needs. It's your choice.

Additionally, I'm not seeing how or why it's our job to cut someone slack and encourage them simply because they banged out a manuscript. So did thousands of your fellow writers, and they manage to query without so much as a whimper. You make the querying-the-agent level sound as though it's unimportant and the author is allowed to be less stringent. Nothing could be further from the truth. A query is your business card, and it's what opens the door to your manuscript's future. This should never be treated lightly.You're suggesting that we make our jobs more difficult because, well, you're tired and/or beaten down. If you're that tired or beaten down, perhaps it would be helpful to take some time off before beginning the query phase. You're right, it does take energy and a strong constitution. But I think you do yourself a disservice by taking offense at those who know far more about the business and are only trying to help.

Lastly, I've worked with FinePrint agents several times, and I have yet to find a more wonderful bunch of agents who know their stuff, work together, and protect their authors more. I always clear my desk for their queries.

JenWriter
09-08-2008, 08:02 PM
I would also add that, while I'm not an agent, I would expect one would want someone who wasn't feeling beaten down and looking for someone to cut him or her some slack. Publishing is a tough business, and you've got to show you're professional, ready to handle it and ready to do what is asked of you whether it be writing a one-page synopsis, going on tour or banging out another manuscript to meet your contract's deadline.

Saanen
09-08-2008, 08:32 PM
The synopsis is also something that Colleen Lindsay doesn't even require. It's optional. You can just send her your query and pages and not even bother with the synopsis at all, no matter its length. That's what I did, and she requested the full manuscript last week.

I understand your reasoning, Repunzel, because I feel the same way about certain markets that have draconian (and weird) rules for their submission processes. In this case, though, since the synopsis is optional, and since asking for a one-page synopsis (no matter how the request is worded) is not unusual for an agent, it seems to me that you're taking a stand for something that's really not that important. Save your energy for the big battles. :)

Calla Lily
09-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Lastly, I've worked with FinePrint agents several times, and I have yet to find a more wonderful bunch of agents who know their stuff, work together, and protect their authors more. I always clear my desk for their queries.

priceless, THAT is why I'm busting my butt to get a good agent. Thank you for confirming it. :)

susangpyp
09-08-2008, 09:33 PM
When I was learning to query, I received all kinds of advice from agents. Both from their "published guidelines" and from personal feedback when I did start querying.

One of the most valuable pieces of advice I received was to be concise whenever possible. Most writers have way too much to say. Both the agent and the editor want to know "Can you pare it down?" "Can you fit it within a guideline?" Are you going to be receptive to edits and feedback? Both agents and editors want to know that you're teachable and can take some suggestions.

My first few queries a few years ago were TWO PAGES LONG! Craziness. I had to pare it down even though I thought that every single word was important. After going to some writers' conferences I found that agents just don't have that kind of time. Even if I thought every word was oh so important, I'm sure all the other writers of the world felt the same way. Moreover, if every agent read two-page queries, chances were they'd never get to mine.

So perhaps they feel that way about the synopsis as well. It takes a smart writer to be concise and keep it to one page. If you're concise, it also gives the agents and editors the chance to look at more work in a given day. So if all writers follow these guidelines, more writers will be looked at. Just a thought.

Susan

(disclaimer: I'm represented by Fine Print but not by Colleen.)

DeadlyAccurate
09-09-2008, 01:52 AM
A couple weeks ago we were Tweet-pitching on Twitter for fun. You think one page is hard? Try 140 characters.

priceless1
09-09-2008, 03:28 AM
A couple weeks ago we were Tweet-pitching on Twitter for fun. You think one page is hard? Try 140 characters.
Ah, your log line, eh?

Repunzel
09-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Hmmm: claque?

Naw.

Great advice everyone. Thanks.

Dara
09-28-2008, 05:18 AM
I've got a partial out to Ms. Evans at this agency, and will let you know how it goes. So far the wait has been about a month but I'm used to waiting a few weeks or months to hear back from agents. I was looking at some agent's blog the other day and was astounded at the number of queries and partials they got in a single week.

Edit: Sorry I can't weigh in on the synopsis debate. I usually write several of different lengths. I've had agents ask me for detailed ones and others ask for shorts, so I keep both on hand.

Tburger
09-29-2008, 03:58 AM
Hi gang -

Joanna is still an assistant agent, and although she's made sales of her own, they were all co-agented deals with other more experienced agents in the office. Like any new agent, she's starting fresh and looking to build her list. And I think she has great taste!

Cheers!

Colleen Lindsay

Oh my. This is just scary, the agents are everywhere...run!

jamiehall
09-29-2008, 05:19 AM
Oh my. This is just scary, the agents are everywhere...run!

Ha!

Yes, it seems they get another new agent every time I turn around!

If this keeps up, they are going to be a very big agency.

sheadakota
09-29-2008, 05:45 AM
I just wish they would respond to my partial, its been almost four months and I haven't heard a word, but I am afraid to nudge- I guess I will count it as a no and move on.

Tburger
09-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Ha!

Yes, it seems they get another new agent every time I turn around!

If this keeps up, they are going to be a very big agency.

No - I mean they are lurking on the boards and reading our posts! I mean, I always thought agents were an abstract concept and didn't really exist. :flag:

quillfish
10-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I just wish they would respond to my partial, its been almost four months and I haven't heard a word, but I am afraid to nudge- I guess I will count it as a no and move on.

sheadakota, not sure if you sent your partial to Colleen or someone else, but Colleen stated a few weeks ago that she was really behind on reading partials and working furiously to get caught up.

When an agent had my partial for a month longer than expected, I VERY politely checked in with her, letting her know I didn't intend to rush her but wanted to make sure she got the email. (That's the maddening part, isn't it? Not knowing if they even got it.) She did not take it amiss at all, and actually wrote me a very kind, apologetic reply. I have only been at this for about four months, but I think it's considered acceptable to check in if it has been a long time.

sheadakota
10-08-2008, 09:56 PM
sheadakota, not sure if you sent your partial to Colleen or someone else, but Colleen stated a few weeks ago that she was really behind on reading partials and working furiously to get caught up.

When an agent had my partial for a month longer than expected, I VERY politely checked in with her, letting her know I didn't intend to rush her but wanted to make sure she got the email. (That's the maddening part, isn't it? Not knowing if they even got it.) She did not take it amiss at all, and actually wrote me a very kind, apologetic reply. I have only been at this for about four months, but I think it's considered acceptable to check in if it has been a long time.
Thanks quillfish- I did status query the agent in question but have not recieved a reply from her yet- I did see that she was way behind on queries and I respect that- I realize that their main obligation is their signed clients- not their clients- maybe-to-be. I sent my partial back in June and just want to know if I am still in the running or not- I won't bother her again as she will probably think I'm a major pain and hit delete!

Shadow_Ferret
10-08-2008, 10:10 PM

I know how you feel. Waiting can be such a drag sometimes. Ms. Colleen Lindsay has had my full for ... I'd better check, I have a horrible memory ...

oh drat, my flashdrive at work doesn't have that info...

but I'm thinking late August. And I saw her blogpost a couple weeks ago where she realized her spam filter was filtering out queries and she was inundated with that.

So my advice is, do what you did and wait for the response to your nudge. And in the meantime move on and submit to other agents.

Me, I'm too chicken to nudge. :)

Tburger
10-09-2008, 03:59 AM
I know how you feel. Waiting can be such a drag sometimes. Ms. Colleen Lindsay has had my full for ... I'd better check, I have a horrible memory ...

oh drat, my flashdrive at work doesn't have that info...

but I'm thinking late August. And I saw her blogpost a couple weeks ago where she realized her spam filter was filtering out queries and she was inundated with that.

So my advice is, do what you did and wait for the response to your nudge. And in the meantime move on and submit to other agents.

Me, I'm too chicken to nudge. :)

I've had a full there since May. I nudged. No response, and I can take a hint! :) In any event, I've rewritten the book and am about to start querying again. Woot!

J.Reid
10-16-2008, 10:56 AM
It's not annoying if you ask for a status report on a partial after a month. I think all of us are running behind but if you have been waiting since June, that's pretty bad. I'm guilty of this myself, more times than I care to remember, in fact.

sheadakota
10-16-2008, 03:07 PM
It's not annoying if you ask for a status report on a partial after a month. I think all of us are running behind but if you have been waiting since June, that's pretty bad. I'm guilty of this myself, more times than I care to remember, in fact.
Thank you Janet for the information. I am not sure if my Status query got to Colleen or not, but I have still not heard back- so I guess I'll just chalk it up to a no and move on.

coloradogirl
10-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Colleen's had a partial of mine since May. She was one of the very first people I queried, and I was so excited when she asked for the partial! Ha, those were the days of innocence, before I realized just how long the wait times in agent-hunting could be...:tongue

I sent her a status query back in Sept because I was worried the file had never made it or her response had gotten lost (both of which had happened to me with other partials over the summer, making me kind of paranoid), and got no response. But since apparently plenty of other people have also been waiting that long, I figure she must have gotten deluged with status queries and not had time to answer those, either.

Like sheadakota, I'm kind of assuming at this point that it'll be a rejection, but that's okay. Thankfully, by now several other agents are reading requested fulls, so I'm busy obsessing over that instead. :D

quillfish
10-18-2008, 08:49 PM

I believe we've just been visited by the Query Shark. Thanks for the input, Janet!

pseudosu
10-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Does anyone know how this agency feels about querying multiple agents within, as long as you're up front about it? Someone has a partial, but it's been quite a while and I'm thinking of trying another agent there, but don't want to step on any toes, or waste anyone's time, or jeopardize my chances...

Nakhlasmoke
10-22-2008, 07:21 PM
As far as I know, it's a no go, they discus subs.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
10-22-2008, 08:41 PM
I got rejected by one, turned around and queried another immediately and she requested a partial. Still has it. There was a clean break between subs.

Your situation is tougher. Do your homework on average response times for this particular agent. For example, Colleen stated on her blog she lost queries from a window (I forgot the time period) and to resend anything submitted during this time. Luck.

pseudosu
10-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks nakhlasmoke, that movie announcer guy, (oh, so that's you).

Yes, I saw that and know mine wasn't vaporized. I'll probably just stick it out for a few more weeks. It's so hard waiting! Querying at least feels proactive, like you're somehow moving the goal posts closer.
I know.... "shut up and wait".

Erin
10-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Colleen may be caught up on queries. I queried her last Friday and within 3 hours she sent a nice rejection and a referral (suggestion) to a colleague at another agency. I was impressed with her response time.

I also remember reading on her blog in August when she introduced a new agent promotion there, Joanne Stampfel, and suggested that if Colleen already rejected you, to try Joanne since she was building her list. So I think you can submit to more than 1 agent.

Dara
10-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Well, the reponse wasn't the one I'd hoped for, but the rejection was prompt and polite.

pseudosu
10-24-2008, 06:28 AM
I guess since what she has is a requested partial, which she already let me pull, revise, and resubmit once (I know, I know) , I should really be a bit more patient. I'll wait a couple more weeks.
It feels good to have another agent I'd be excited to query there, because hard as I've tried to keep my hopes in check, they have been raised, and I'm really hoping for a good reply from Ms. Gringa.

quillfish
10-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I guess since what she has is a requested partial, which she already let me pull, revise, and resubmit once (I know, I know) , I should really be a bit more patient. I'll wait a couple more weeks.

You can tell from her blog posts Colleen is one of those agents with a big heart. I do believe that she is working through submissions - I noticed a couple recent twitter posts about trying to catch up on partials, and also about a dearly departed laptop. But I feel your pain about the waiting. I love this quote from agent Nathan Bransford:

Welcome to publishing, the land of books, writing, and agonizingly long waits. Pour yourself a drink. You're going to need it.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
11-22-2008, 06:11 AM
Any FinePrint clients care to comment on the agency agreement? I haven't seen it yet, just wonder if anyone came across anything objectionable. Thanks for any input.

priceless1
11-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Any FinePrint clients care to comment on the agency agreement? I haven't seen it yet, just wonder if anyone came across anything objectionable. Thanks for any input.
I haven't seen the agreement, but I have three FinePrint authors, and all of them are ridiculously pleased with their agents.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
11-22-2008, 10:05 PM
I haven't seen the agreement, but I have three FinePrint authors, and all of them are ridiculously pleased with their agents.

Thanks, Priceless1. I did gobs of research before querying and am not surprised. My post concerns my inexperience, not my choice of agents/agencies. I have a checklist, mostly from Kristin Nelson's blog archives, but wondered if anyone had felt the need to negotiate changes.

susangpyp
12-08-2008, 05:07 AM
It's a standard agency agreement. I'm an attorney and signed it without changes.

emandem
12-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Got a reject on a partial from Joanna yesterday via snail mail--The envelope wasn't even sealed, so of course it fell out on the floor and my kid read it before I did--depressing!! Oh, well, back to the boards--I still have a couple of other partials out so I'm not giving up yet!

rosepddle
12-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Got a reject on a partial from Joanna yesterday via snail mail--The envelope wasn't even sealed, so of course it fell out on the floor and my kid read it before I did--depressing!! Oh, well, back to the boards--I still have a couple of other partials out so I'm not giving up yet!
Good! Don't give up...I'd love to have some partials out. Hopefully I will soon! :D

Nandi
12-10-2008, 04:38 AM

Wishing you well, emandem! If it weren't for those requests, where would we be?

I'm told that it may be best to put querying on hold for a month or so this time of year. That's what I'm doing. I seem to be getting an unusually large number of rejections, too, which suggests that agents are trying to clear the decks for 2008. What do you think? For the first time ever I'm getting rejections that are nothing more than my original query letter with "Not for us" scribbled on it. Tacky, yes?

emandem
12-10-2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the positive comments--that helps! Maybe it is best to slack off on querying in December..... I have to admit I get discouraged when I receive a one- or two-liner reject to a partial. I always figure when they reject a query that maybe they're just not interested in the genre, etc. But when it's a partial, I just don't know what I did wrong. (sigh)

sheadakota
12-10-2008, 06:42 AM
I wish I would just hear something this agency. I've had a partial out to them since June of this year with no word on status queries ( I have sent 2)

elae
12-22-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm happy to say I signed with Colleen Lindsay last week (after getting the offer a week before-- I had two and couldn't be happier with my choice!) I first queried mid-September, for those interested. :)

Good luck to those still waiting to hear back! I know it's a slow time of year for querying.

Calla Lily
12-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Congratulations!

Lainey Bancroft
12-22-2008, 03:10 AM
For the first time ever I'm getting rejections that are nothing more than my original query letter with "Not for us" scribbled on it. Tacky, yes?

Oh my! That would make a form letter look pretty damn good!

Congrats, elae!

suki
12-22-2008, 04:10 AM
I'm happy to say I signed with Colleen Lindsay last week (after getting the offer a week before-- I had two and couldn't be happier with my choice!) I first queried mid-September, for those interested. :)

Good luck to those still waiting to hear back! I know it's a slow time of year for querying.

First, congratulations. But would you mind giving more info on response times from Colleen these days?

You first queried in mid-September, and she made an offer two weeks ago (around December 8-12?).

In between, when did she request a partial/full and what was the lag time between request and offer. If you don't mind...thanks.

~suki

sheadakota
12-22-2008, 05:35 AM
I would be intersted in knowing this as well- I queried her in June of this year- she asked for a partial 15 minutes after I sent her the query- then nothing not a word- I know she got it because she told me she did- but she has not answered any status queries I have sent her since then- :Shrug:
I mean I understand if she is not interested but I wish I knew one way or another-

elae
12-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks! I can't wait to see where things go from here.

Hm... It's hard to really offer much information that would help, since Highwater is a graphic novel & the process is a bit different-- She replied to my query same-day, and I sent her the script (sample art had gone with my query). Over the next few months I sent her the completed pages for the first and second chapters. And, well, sometimes it seems like one of the only definite ways to get a quick response is to get an offer from someone else first. ;)

Don't give up hope, though! They're closing shop for a few weeks of winter break, so you can spend now til Jan 5 relaxing and knowing everyone's submissions are in limbo, not just yours!

CarolSanDiego
12-24-2008, 03:51 AM
Congrats! I would love to be able to work with Colleen. She's got a partial of mine, I'll ask for a status from her in January.

PR@FinePrint
12-27-2008, 09:59 PM
This is Peter Rubie. I'm very surprised to hear that you have not heard from us after TWO queries. I apologise. We get hundreds of snail mail and email queries a week and things do fall through the cracks however hard one tires to ensure it won't happen. It suggests a couple of things: You didn't include an SASE with your query if it was snail mail; you somehow went into a spam folder if it was emailed. We always send things back with an SASE, and I always respond with a comparable email rejection, and I know my colleagues do the same thing as a rule. (Janet Reid, who is our mystery maven is fierce about this stuff, but even tougher to convince to represent you.) Frankly, it's COLD out there at the moment. The industry is in such a tail spin (self induced) that taking on new novelists is very hard, particularly in soft genres like mysteries. If it's a thriller it has to be exceptional and while much of what we see is of a high quality, the difference between those who get taken on and published, is close to, say, those who get a chance to actually compete in Olympic gymnastic trials, and those who get a place on a team.

MicheleLee
12-27-2008, 10:59 PM
According to Ms. Lindsay herself she's had a housing-related emergency, which may account for her being distracted from partials at the moment. Plus it's the holidays. Three months is nothing. I've had a partial out since Jan 1, 2008 with no returned emails or anything.

Colleen Lindsay
12-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Hi gang!-

Well, at this point I'm averaging 500 queries a week, some weeks closer to 700. (On Christmas Day, I received 126 queries. I guess some folks don't take holidays!) And since I do try to respond to every query, my response time right now for queries is at about eight weeks. My response time on partials and fulls is sometimes considerably longer these days.

I did have a bit of a problem with the apartment last week (partial roof-collapse) but that has nothing really to do with the response time. Response time is totally determined by the sheer volume of queries I'm receiving. I've been giving serious consideration to changing my policy of responding to every query, and just responding to those in which I am interested in seeing more, which is something that more and more agencies are doing. I've been reluctant to do this because I think that an agent has a professional obligation to respond to as many queries as possible. Unfortunately, this may not be the best use of my time.

Michele -

I don't think you've had a partial out with me since January, as I wasn't actually an agent then. :)

Best,

Colleen Lindsay

Red.Ink.Rain
12-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Good grief. Who queries on Christmas? That's ridiculous. Of course, I should probably shut up, considering those query-ers were probably members here. ;)

Thank you for posting, Colleen. It's nice to put into perspective the issues that agents and agencies are going through, just so we know there's a face behind them and there's a reason for the hold-up.

If we haven't heard back from you in several months, should we consider re-querying? (Not complaining, just wondering. :) )

emandem
12-28-2008, 10:48 PM
I don't see why anyone would query on Christmas (or the day before or after Christmas for that matter). Perhaps they are trying to make their query stand out, but if I were an over-slushpiled agent it would tick me off ito have someone shove work under my nose on the holiday itself! This is just the thing that would encourage me (if I were an agent) to switch to what Colleen mentioned upstream--responding to those I was only interested in, and just purging out excessive email around the holidays. JMO

Colleen Lindsay
12-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Hey, a lot of people aren't Christians and don't celebrate Christmas. (Heck, in my neighborhood in Queens, I would be surprised if anyone celebrated Christmas, as my neighbors are almost entirely Muslim Pakistani.)

Additionally, a lot of agents - including my wonderful colleague Janet Reid - use the holiday break as a welcome time to get caught up on reading queries and are even actively soliciting them. Since publishers are usually closed from December 23rd through January 5th, agents don't need to spend the day following up on manuscripts and checking in with editors. You'd be surprised how much of the day that takes up.

I certainly wasn't trying to take a swipe at folks who query on Christmas Day; merely pointing out that even if it is a holiday in many places, the volume in our inbox doesn't really decrease.

Best,

Colleen

Calla Lily
12-28-2008, 11:58 PM
:eek: 700 queries a week? I thought my overflowing work in-box was daunting...

Red.Ink.Rain
12-29-2008, 01:05 AM
I wasn't trying to take a swipe at people who queried on Christmas either. I just find it interesting that even though it's a well-known holiday and most businesses are closed, people still queried.

I'm going to shut up before I shove my foot even further into my mouth. lol.