An interesting article about sunbeds.

Reaction score
I'm copying this from Take a Break magazine (UK based), a little snippet from their health pages - there's no name given so I'll credit the magazine at the end of the paragraph.

The risk of developing skin cancer from using sunbeds has almost trebled in ten years. Dr Harry Moseley, of Ninewells Hospital & Medical School in Dundee, says many salons now use sunbeds that emit two to three times as much harmful UV light as those used a decade ago. Dr Moseley tested more than 130 sunbeds in salons and sports centres and found that more than eight out of 10 breached UK safety standards for UV light output.

(c) 2007 Take a Break magazine, 12th April issue

The reason this 'jumped off the page' at me was this doctor works at the very hospital where I received my UVB treatment at the photobiology clinic, for eczema and other skin complaints a few years back. They never pinned down the exact cause of my reactions and scarring, but the treatment seemed to work.

I used to go up every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the full-body treatment (I wore underwear though!!!) in one of their upright UVB cabinets. At first I was in for a few seconds, and gradually built up to a maximum of three and a half minutes. This was over a course of three months. Remember, it was a very, very slow build up.

They tried me for nearly four minutes once, but after a few hours, the skin on my shoulder near my bra strap went pink and started peeling. Only very slightly, but they were on it quickly and said I was to 'rest' my skin for the remainder of the week and on the Monday they would put me back a few stages, two and a half minutes or so, and build up very very slowly to no more than three and a half.

They said my skin had reached its natural limits. Just think - people stay out in the sun all day but thanks to the attention of medical professionals they were able to determine that as little as four and a half minutes 'direct sunlight', even after months of building up to it was enough to burn the skin. And I'm naturally dark-haired, with Italian blood, so even half-Mediterranean people can be affected.

Now what worries me is, I know women (it's mostly women) who book sessions on sunbeds, three a week, for ten minutes at a time, and it's not UVB, it's UVA, which I'm led to understand goes deeper into the skin? My scarring was mostly surface, hence the UVB treatment.

So anyway - what about all these orange people walking the streets of Dundee, risking cancer for a tan? It's not even a 'proper' tan - no healthy glow or pale, pale brown - it's orange.

A couple of friends even asked me if I'd been on holiday as I had a 'glow' about me - trouble is, it was pink, not tan! Even before this treatment I was put through a rigorous list of tests, even had to answer some questions on my general health and habits. Had I ever been burned in the past so many years, where on my body, did it scar, could I show them, was I on medication, addicted to any substance, ad nauseam.

I was even warned off taking any medication that could affect my blood for the duration of my treatment - even something as seemingly harmless as aspirin could affect the way my skin reacted to UVB light. Or vitamins!

So this was all to help treat and repair scar damage on my legs and chest (it also helped treat my facial acne too, of which more later) and yet people are dying to be tanned. Literally.

I had to wait a couple more months after all of this to get allergy tests - fresh skin growing through, you know the deal. You can't test for allergies on tanned skin apparently! Or at least, the results would be clearer on my 'normal' skin. Then after the allergy tests came the tests for going on roaccutane. I had to stay well out of sunlight - not a problem in Dundee, hence the profusion of tanning parlours I guess - and avoid all vitamin supplements. The UVB only helped my acne for as long as that treatment continued and it was dangerous to continue for longer than a few months. Luckily, the tablets knocked it all on the head, even after finishing the course of medication.

So there it is. I had years of pestering medical professionals to get my skin complaints taken seriously, and rather than people saying, "Oh you look well!" they told me I was lucky, getting a free tan on the NHS...*sigh*

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
That's what you get for doing the "Fake N Bake".

Seriously, those things are evil. Around here, they advertise something like twice the tan in half the time. How about twice the melanoma in half the time!! Not to mention skin problems in general. My acupuncturist says he treats several patients with recurring skin problems after using tanning beds.

I wouldn't use them anyway: I don't tan, I burn, and it peels straight back to "death-warmed-over" pale.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
Heya Nichola,
Besides the medical things (one of my friends had to have the kind ot treatments you did for her acne too) why can't people be happy with the skin they're in?
I have very pale skin, but I love my skin and would never dream of going under a sun bed for a fake tan, hell, I don't even go outside on hot sunny days unless absolutely necessary.

Elodie

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i did it about three times during the winter, because i really really need sun.

but it's really awful for the skin. people dont realize that a tan means that skin has already been burnt.

after awhile, the result is pre-aged, leathery skin.

not hot.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After growing up in the desert Southwest, in the era when only albinos used sunscreen, it's pretty interesting to note that despite my youthful overexposure to the sun, moving away from it has left me looking many years younger than old friends who stayed. By their mid-forties, many of them took on a leathery look that no amount of moisturizing affected.

Sunbeds are, of course, far worse for the skin than natural sunlight. Those orange people are going to look like shoes at an age when their less-vain or better-informed contemporaries still look fine. The amount and nature of sun damage will also keep them running to dermatologists to get various growths and lesions zapped off, most not covered by health insurance.

Maryn, whose kids are white-white-white (which contrasts so nicely with their black clothes)

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
Yet another reason to spend sunny days inside and glued to the computer.

I think I may be becoming a Morlock.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Tanning is bad for you, but everyone needs ten minutes of sunlight a day to help your body get the vitamin D it needs. :)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
There was a similiar article on tanning in this month's Glamour (yes, I love Glamour). It said the rates of melanoma's on the breasts and genitals have risen by, okay I don't remember the exact percentage (but it was a lot!), in the past few years because of tanning beds. People don't understand that they are just as unsafe as tanning outside.

I hate tanning beds myself...I just lay there and think "what a waste of time". I haven't gone in years. I get my tan from a bottle.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
In the good old days, ladies of the aristocracy guarded their lily-white complexions. Only peasants were tanned.

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
In the good old days, ladies of the aristocracy guarded their lily-white complexions. Only peasants were tanned.

Had they seen a tanned and buxom Pamela Anderson flaunting her bountiful bouncing boobies back in the good old days I suspect they may have rethought their positions.

Or at least shifted in their seats.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I got your lily white right here. :D I'm pale pale pale, and I might as well own shares in Coppertone (their aerosol sport waterproof sunscreen ROCKS). My neighbor two doors up is in her early 50s, looks mid-70s, like alligator hide. By the end of summer, I haven't even tanned enough to have noticeable tan lines, even though we spend most of our time outside.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I've never been tan in my life. I always burn and peel. I haven't had a sunburn in ages, probably since I was in high school when I tried the tanning bed to be tanned for prom. It didn't work for me then, either. I just burned. I'll be pale for the rest of my life.

My daughter is very, very pale. The doctor always wants to check her for anemia when she comes in.

Reaction score
There was a similiar article on tanning in this month's Glamour (yes, I love Glamour). It said the rates of melanoma's on the breasts and genitals have risen by, okay I don't remember the exact percentage (but it was a lot!), in the past few years because of tanning beds. People don't understand that they are just as unsafe as tanning outside.

I hate tanning beds myself...I just lay there and think "what a waste of time". I haven't gone in years. I get my tan from a bottle.

Why tan at all, though? I've had female friends express shock that I've never even used a tan from a bottle. "But you'll look pal!" they say. Yeah, well so what? My natural colour isn't orange, so...

Having said that I'm quite willing to fake my hair colour...

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had a tan that didn't come from a bottle. I have a lot of little dark moles, so I stay well out of the sun. I had a heck of a scare last summer with a mole that turned out to be about one step away from being precancerous - the doctor called me back in to take another chunk out of the back of my hand to make sure he had it all. So now I have to go in every six months so he can go over me with a magnifying glass to make sure nothing else is doing something it shouldn't be...

Reaction score
It amazes me that people want to change the colour of their skin for fashion, though. Why can't we be happy the way God made us?

Hypocritical of me I know, as I regularly dye my hair...but that grows back. So does skin, but the damage goes deeper...

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
My natural colour isn't orange, so...

The tanning lotions now are very, very natural looking...I haven't had an orange tan yet. I'm pretty fair-skinned with dark hair so I do think I look better with a bit of a tan...and it hides a lot of imperfections (like those damned stretch marks my son gave me!) :D

Reaction score
i did it about three times during the winter, because i really really need sun.

A man admitting that he want tanning "three times" WITH an excuse as to why means he had the Ultra Package of Unlimited Tanning and that he went three-four times a week from around the first week of October until right about now.

'Nuff said.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
A man admitting that he want tanning "three times" WITH an excuse as to why means he had the Ultra Package of Unlimited Tanning and that he went three-four times a week from around the first week of October until right about now.

This from a guy that is obviously familiar with how the process works.

'Nuff said! ;)

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I am naturally a tanner. Five minutes spent on the sun and my skin goes brown. I never get red even though my skin has a natural pale color. I just get brown, which is good. Even now, with the sun exposure I get from being at school, people ask me to which beach I've been to get such an awesome tan. Weird.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I am naturally a tanner. Five minutes spent on the sun and my skin goes brown. I never get red even though my skin has a natural pale color. I just get brown, which is good. Even now, with the sun exposure I get from being at school, people ask me to which beach I've been to get such an awesome tan. Weird.

Sure, rub it in, rub it in.

I do sometimes tan a little in the summer. I go from "death warmed over" to "slightly off-white". Most years, though, I go from "pasty Irish" to "salmon" to "lobster" to "lobster peeling to reveal pasty Irish".

One year, I went on an 85 mile bike ride on an 90 degree day. I was wearing a T-back tank top, but applied buttloads of sunscreen. I put extra sunscreen on my tattoo. Well, I managed to sweat most of the sunscreen off, in spite of numerous applications over the course of the day. When all was said and done, my back burned so bad it blistered...but my tattoo was completely unscathed with a halo of "pasty Irish" around it. Oops. So, someday when I'm being treated for melanoma, at least I'll be comforted knowing that my tattoo hasn't faded.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
...but my tattoo was completely unscathed with a halo of "pasty Irish" around it. Oops. So, someday when I'm being treated for melanoma, at least I'll be comforted knowing that my tattoo hasn't faded.

Lol, my cousin once cut her boyfriend's name on a sheet of paper, soaked the paper on sunscreen, put it over her arm and then went out to get a tan. Everything got brown except for her boyfriend's name, where the skin was as pale as it had been. Kind of an interesting way to get a tattoo :D

I haven't tried it, though. I'm not that obsessed.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Sure, rub it in, rub it in.

It's not that great. Now, because of all the time spent under the sun while at school, my face and arms are beautifully tanned, but the rest of my body looks as though it's just been pulled out of the morgue :D Which looks funny when I wear a bathing suit or underwear.