PDA

View Full Version : The Hoax

maestrowork
04-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Fascinating subject, especially for writers. Really sad, though. What are your thoughts?

alleycat
04-07-2007, 06:06 PM
I remember the actual story from when I was younger, so I'd certainly like to watch the movie at some point. Since I haven't seen the movie I can't offer much else.

Didn't he also do an earlier book on a painter who created fakes? I seem to remember that; but it's been a long time since that happened.

tourdeforce
04-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Of additional interest on the topic of Clifford Irving, is Orson Welles' F FOR FAKE, a sort of documentary that hits on a variety of stories including that of art forger Elmry de Hory who was profiled in a biography by Irving.

Welles then focuses on Irving and his own forgery- the fake Hughes "autobiography".

The whole film deals with fakery in some form or another.

Give it a viewing.

BottomlessCup
04-08-2007, 05:42 AM
The guy who wrote the script to this is a messageboard user. I'm not sure if he's posted here under some name, but he's a very wise and generous writer on the board I've seen him post on.

It's good to see him finding success and acclaim.

maestrowork
04-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Didn't he also do an earlier book on a painter who created fakes? I seem to remember that; but it's been a long time since that happened.

Yes, I think they mentioned that in the movie.

tourdeforce
04-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Of additional interest on the topic of Clifford Irving, is Orson Welles' F FOR FAKE, a sort of documentary that hits on a variety of stories including that of art forger Elmry de Hory who was profiled in a biography by Irving.

maestrowork
04-11-2007, 12:09 AM
My review is here (http://reelreviews.blogspot.com/2007/04/hoax.html).