Okay - A Weird Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
I hope that the answer is not somewhere and I missed it - I did look, I promise! When submitting manuscripts to publishers, should I use a regular ball point pen on the envelope or do I use a fine point sharpie?

Thanks!

Cindy

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine that it matters. However, I personally use a ball point pen, and so far, no one has complained. :D

(It should be noted that I'm submitting to agents, not publishers, though.)

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I think I am just excited because I am finally taking this step - and I am worrying about stupid things that probably won't matter in the end - so, sorry for the weird question!

Hmmm....... I wonder - it is a children's book.....maybe crayons would work! Just kidding!!

Anyway - sorry I took up space - now off to stop sweating the small stuff!

Cindy

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I print labels just because I think it looks more professional...but that's just me. The others are right...as long as the story is good, it's not going to matter much.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Labels

If it's at all possible, use printed labels. If nothing else, the post office will love you for it, and your editor won't have to buy new glasses.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I use labels, too. They're just so much cleaner and neater than anything I could hand-write.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I print labels just because I think it looks more professional...but that's just me. The others are right...as long as the story is good, it's not going to matter much.

I was thinking about this yesterday as I printed the addresses of agents on my envelopes. My printing is nice and all but I do believe a printed label would look much better.

Reaction score
I handwrite envelopes, but I print in capitals and I ALWAYS use a black pen. Biro for small envelopes, marker pen for the big submissions.

JohnB1988

Registered
Reaction score
Fancy-pants labels on the cheap.

A pack of Avery # 05444 has 100 2X4 labels. On their web site they’ll give you a free template that works just like a regular word document. You can do all sorts of overly clever things with it and then print one-off in your regular printer to stick on an envelope

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
And I almost bought a package of labels at WalMart yesterday! Hmmm...guess I could go back and get them!

Cindy

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Also, you can use labels in your typewriter, if you prefer such equipment.

But in any case, I agree you should use printed labels of some sort, because like others have already said, they do look much more professional than does handwriting on the envelope. Plus, if your envelope is one of those big gold-colored (manila) envelopes, having a white printed label will make the printing stand out more than a ball-point or sharpie on the envelope itself will.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your submissions.

:)

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You can also use Word to print the address directly onto the envelope.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
You can also use Word to print the address directly onto the envelope.

Watch out for a jamming printer, though.

For the first year or so I dutifully used labels, but found it to be wasteful if I didn't use the whole sheet in one pass. If I tried to use only a few labels at a time, the heat from the lazer printer made the labels semi-transparent on the second pass, and sometimes I had a hard time lining everything up.

I stopped submitting for a while - just using email, and then when I decided to pump out a few more hard queries, I couldn't find my label sheets.

So, when I received a request for a partial, I sucked it up and hand printed the envelope. Black ink, fine point Sharpie, obsessing over my penmanship.

We sure do obsess a lot, don't we? :)

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
I have other people write the addresses for me. Nobody wants to try and read my handwriting.

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
That was the whole idea for the question - because I am using manila envelopes - and I was afraid the ball-point pen would not show up - but then, I thought the Sharpie might scream, I am desperate - Look at me!

I am going to try printing from word, but I have a cheap printer at the moment - and with the way my luck goes, the first one will jam in the printer!

Obsessing, Obsessing, Obsessing!!!!

Cindy

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about this yesterday as I printed the addresses of agents on my envelopes. My printing is nice and all but I do believe a printed label would look much better.

I have a business envelope template on Publisher I just plug the addresses in and pre-print the envelopes. That's for SASE's. I use transparent address labels for big envelopes.

Regards,
Scott

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Because I can't always afford labels (hello! Poor writer!) I pitifully ask my wife to write the stuff on the envelope, because she has very lovely handwriting. :D

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A tiny bit OT, but when you're doing the address on a query submission envelope, do you address it to the agent there, or just the agency? It's probably a really nitpicky point that doesn't matter, but I just wanted to see what everyone suggested.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sage, if a particular agent within an agency is the right one for your query, that's who you'd address both the envelope and the query letter to.

For instance, many agencies kind of divide up the pie. A does history and how-to, B does YA and how-to, C does erotica and coffee table books, D does graphic novels and mystery, etc. If your book is a YA, of course you want your envelope to be set in B's In basket.

What's hard sometimes is the agency whose guidelines say to send to the right agent but have two or more who rep your genre. If your book is a how-to, you need to do further research to know whether to send it to A or B.

Maryn, who'll cross that bridge yada-yada-yada

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I print labels. I do the ones with my address (for SASE) in big sheets and just keep a stack of them in the drawer. It doesn't cost that much honestly and it isn't that much trouble.

Then again, I don't suppose they really care as long as the address is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.