PDA

View Full Version : Wade & Co. Literary Agency (formerly Wade & Doherty L.A.) (Robin Wade)

Carmy
04-07-2007, 08:29 AM
I searched but couldn't find anything on AW.

Has anyone dealt with this agency? P&E lists $ but "further info unknown".

http://www.rwla.com/about.html

aruna
04-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Yes, I have dealt with them. Robin Wade rejected a full of mine. I have heard from several writers on a UK board, and this is my experience as well, that he is one of the most courteous and friendly agents to work with, and has good sales under his belt. I recently posted that an editor from a big publishing house sent my ms on to an agent; this is that agent.

waylander
04-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Robin Wade also rejected my query package. Broo Doherty is a well-respected figure in UK publishing. Someone from my writing group heard her speak at a women's writing course.
Solidly respectable agency

Carmy
04-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks Aruna and Waylander. I've sent off a query so my fingers and toes are crossed.

kiwigirl
05-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Carmy, have you had a response from RWLA yet? Their website says they aim to respond to partials within seven days. I sent them a partial at the end of March but haven't heard anything yet. I'm not sure if that means they are just busy or if I should be worrying that my email didn't reach them or my spam filter blocked their response. Thanks, Nikki

Carmy
05-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Yes, they rejected two queries I sent them within seven days. Very polite, but no thanks.

Why not send a follow-up mail. Your query may not have reached them.

janetbellinger
05-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Cool. I just emailed the first 10,000 words of my Womens Fiction/Literary novel. Thanks for the link.

Sarmorrow
05-11-2007, 05:53 PM
They rejected me to, but in a friendly way!

Dear Sarah,

Many thanks for sending us this proposal, which I read with interest. I considered it carefully but I知 afraid on balance it just doesn稚 quite grab my imagination in the way that it must for me to offer to represent it. So I must follow my instinct and pass on this occasion. I知 sorry to be so disappointing, but thanks for thinking of us. Of course this is a totally subjective judgement, so do try other agents and I wish you every success.
Kind regards
Robin

Carmy
05-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Good luck, Janet. Have you hard anything yet?

Carmy
05-12-2007, 07:34 AM
LOL Sarmorrow, I got the same letter From Robin:

Many thanks for sending us this proposal, which I read with interest. I considered it carefully but I’m afraid on balance it just doesn’t quite grab my imagination in the way that it must for me to offer to represent it. So I must follow my instinct and pass on this occasion. I’m sorry to be so disappointing, but thanks for thinking of us. Of course this is a totally subjective judgement, so do try other agents and I wish you every success.
Kind regards
Robin

janetbellinger
05-12-2007, 09:06 AM
I got the same rejection you did. You know though, I was feeling pretty low tonight about a spate of recent rejections and wrote to an agent in Toronto who is highly rated by P and E. I explained to her I am wondering, after five years of rewriting and rejections, if I should just scrap the whole novel. I asked her if its too cliched etc for words. She very kindly emailed back that my query letter really doesn't tell her anything about the novel. So I am going to work on the query before I submit to any more agents. I'm also going to do another rewrite and I might even scrap the novel and take the poetic parts out and work on them as poems. I might be able to develop one of them into a poem for the CBC poetry contest. The poems have to be between 1,500 and 2,500 words long. It will give me something a bit different to do for a while in the way of writing.

Good luck, Janet. Have you hard anything yet?

Carmy
05-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Good luck with the CBC contest, Janet. I have an epic poem lurking around here somewhere so I might dig it up and check if it's suitable.

The first sale I ever made was to CBC.

Rejections can be disheartening, even more of a downer when I read some of the crappy books that are being published. None of the Canadian agents I've contacted have answered, with the exception of Harding. You did well to get an answer from one in Toronto.

Bo Sullivan
05-15-2007, 03:00 AM
Robin must send out a standard rejection email because I got the same one as well.

Barbara

Carmy
05-15-2007, 06:26 AM
I checkd my poem. Word count is 750 and there's no way I can blow it up to 1,000. Darn!

hawk
06-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Anything recent on this agency?
I just sent my 10,000 words to Broo Doherty - commercial fiction with a strong female protagonist. Seems right up her alley, but I'll let you know!
Keeping the Faith ~ hawk

Vermilion
06-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Did you guys send via attachment? Just confirming (even though they did say it on their site) but most agents are very wary about receiving attachments.

hawk
06-04-2009, 04:12 AM
Hey, Vermilion ~
I sent a query with a 3-page synopsis in the text of the email, and then sent the 10,000 words in a Word attachment, because they said so! This way, if they like my synopsis, they will be eager to open the attachment, yes? I was surprised, too, but I'm happy not to have to mail it all to London!
Have you submitted to them yet, or just pondering the notion?
~ hawk

Vermilion
06-04-2009, 04:28 AM
Hi Hawk,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't submitted, but I'll do so now. Just looking through my MS again, I feel like there's a lot to be done still no matter how many times I've gone through it, lol.

Good luck to you!

hawk
06-04-2009, 04:58 AM
Vermilion, a friend of mine asked me, "How many different ways can you possibly say something?" She is definitely NOT a writer!!! I have that same feeling every time I look at mine.
Here's a cure: START A NEW BOOK. At least it keeps you from looking back!
Which one are you submitting to - Robin or Broo?
~ hawk

hawk
07-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Just got my reject letter from Broo - SIGH! I did re-send after 30 days because their site says they "respond to emails within 7 days". Pretty lofty goal, if you ask me, especially in light of the 10,000 words sent with each. In the end, it was 46 days, fellow scribes, so don't be discouraged if they take a bit!
Vermilion, did you submit? Let us know what came of it.
Keepin' on ~ hawk

ChrryBlssmGrrl
09-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I queried Broo at the beginning of June and heard nothing more. Their website does indeed state: 'We aim to respond to email submissions within seven days of receipt.'

So although enough time has elapsed for me to wonder whether this is maybe just a subtle and silent rejection I thought I would nudge today and see what happened.

Will let you know if I hear anything!

UPDATE: She emailed me back within the hour to say she'd never received my original query, apologised and asked me to send her my first three chapters again. Which I am about to do....

ChrryBlssmGrrl
09-02-2009, 02:07 PM
And alas, a rejection!

But delivered in a prompt and courteous manner so can't fault their professionalism (although I do fault their taste tee hee)

charlys
11-08-2009, 02:58 AM
I sent a query and first 2 chapters to Broo and got a nice R the next day. I doubt she read the chapters but did say my fiction wouldn't sell as well in UK as in US. Oh, well.

desperadium
03-18-2010, 01:00 AM
I sent a query about two weeks ago, no response. Anyone had any recent experiences with this agency?

seun
06-11-2010, 07:40 PM
I subbed on Monday and got a rejection this afternoon - the same one as described above. At least he's polite about it.

psymun
07-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Hullo all!
These forums are very useful - certain threads pop up on Google with just what I was looking for, and it's nice to feel less alone as a writer - rejections abound, huzzah.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this agency? Seems to be a great bunch of praise for Robin Wade all around, but the list of children's writers on the website is ... I'm not sure what a good word is... underwhelming? Do'nt get me wrong, as an unpublished writer it's not exactly up to me to be picky, just wanted to see if anyone knows how active he is at the moment?
Anyone submitting work to Wade and Doherty at the moment?

Thanks,

aruna
07-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I've submitted to them in the past, and always got rejections. They reply very promptly (a week, I think) so that's one positive. They are etsablished, good agents.

Daddyo
07-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Hmmm...they never responded to my 5/3/10 query.

Little1
07-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Link?

EDIT:

This agency?
http://www.rwla.com/

MarloweCanning
07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
I just got a reply from Boo on a novel partial I sent to her in January this year. It was a rejection but was 6 months to the day turnaround.

I have sent them a second novel query and partial in mid April and no reply as of yet.

CaoPaux
02-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Update:

Please note that with effect from 1st February 2011 we are no longer seeking children's books for representation.

JJLindsell
04-04-2012, 04:37 AM
Subbed and got the form rejection in 8 days. What a pleasant experience

RosieWriter
11-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I've just joined AW, mainly because I was interested in all of you posting about Wade & Doherty! Herewith my rejection, received today, which may look rather familiar to several of you (I must say, it's one of the nicest standard rejections I've seen!):
Many thanks for sending me this material, which I read with interest.

Although I have considered this carefully I'm afraid it just doesn't quite
grab my imagination in the way that it must for me to offer to represent it.
So I shall have to follow my gut instinct and pass on this occasion. I'm
sorry to be so disappointing, but thanks for thinking of us. Of course this
is a totally subjective view, so do keep trying other agents and I sincerely
wish you every success with it elsewhere.

With all best wishes

Broo

The_Burning_Quill
01-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Just a heads up for others - It seems Broo Doherty doesn't represent Fantasy, contrary to some lists I've seen.

I got a response from her today after less than a week (at this time of the year = fantastic) from subbing my Fantasy Query.

Unless it is a very oblique rejection, in which case I appreciate her attempt to spare my feelings, she wrote back saying she didn't represent Fantasy.

Kaarl
05-29-2013, 02:44 AM
Dear Jordan,

Many thanks for sending us this proposal, which I read with interest. I considered it carefully but I知 afraid on balance it just doesn稚 quite grab my imagination in the way that it must for me to offer to represent you. So I must follow my instinct and pass on this occasion. I知 sorry to be so disappointing, but thanks for thinking of us. Of course this is a totally subjective judgement, so do try other agents and I wish you every success.

Kind regards

Robin

Do we get decoder rings ?

Terie
05-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Dear Jordan,

Many thanks for sending us this proposal, which I read with interest. I considered it carefully but I知 afraid on balance it just doesn稚 quite grab my imagination in the way that it must for me to offer to represent you. So I must follow my instinct and pass on this occasion. I知 sorry to be so disappointing, but thanks for thinking of us. Of course this is a totally subjective judgement, so do try other agents and I wish you every success.

Kind regards

Robin

Do we get decoder rings ?

What do you need a decoder ring for? It's quite obviously a form rejection.

waylander
05-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Form rejection.

Animad345
08-20-2013, 01:22 PM
I submitted to Wade recently... here's hoping!

Flower o' the Forest
09-19-2013, 11:02 PM
My first attempt at posting here so if this ends up in someone's post box by mistake, or my name isn't included sz. I actually haven't a clue what I'm doing, plus I'm writing this in the dark.

To the point. I submitted 10k words to Broo Doherty two weeks ago and have heard nothing. Is no news good news or did I forget to press the send button? The more I see my comma fixation in my opening few pages, the second may be a blessing in disguise? I shall re submit if I have no response soon.

Flower o' the Forest
09-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Hello Animad 345

Was wondering if you have heard anything from Wade and Doherty yet?

Thanks

Flower o' the Forest
09-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Sorry. I just fulfilled my own prophesy and that went to you by mistake. I'll get my coat!

stevenmrogers
12-24-2013, 05:41 AM
You all might be advised that Broo is now at DHH Literary.
http://www.dhhliteraryagency.com/broodoherty.html

Garretguy
09-26-2014, 11:25 AM
You all might be advised that Broo is now at DHH Literary.
http://www.dhhliteraryagency.com/broodoherty.html

Explains why the company is now called "Wade & Co Literary Agency Ltd." :) (website still includes a subheading of (formerly Wade & Doherty..."). Mod might like to update the thread title to reflect this?