View Full Version : How Long to Wait Before Following Up?

Sandi LeFaucheur
04-07-2007, 03:58 AM
Agent A requested a full about 7 weeks ago. I snailed it to her, so let's say she's had it 6 weeks ago. At that time, agents B, C, and D also had a full or partial. In the meantime, Agent E has asked for a full, but wants it exclusively. Now, I've heard back from B, C, and D, but A is still out. I don't want to send it to anyone else, because I want to let E have it exclusively, if that's what she requires.

So--when should I ask Agent A if she's still interested? (Or whatever you say when you follow up?)


04-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Can you email Agent E and tell her that you can't offer exclusivity because someone else is reading the full at the moment, and ask if she'd waive it? Some will, some won't. You can let her know you won't accept any offers before talking with her first. There's been a few threads recently on this. I'll see if I can dig them up.


I would think you'd need to wait another six weeks before even thinking of bothering Agent A, assuming they didn't give you a deadline. Six weeks is nothing.

Sandi LeFaucheur
04-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks, DeadlyAccurate. I have already told E that someone else still has it and that I'd send it her way if they are not interested. She thanked me for my honesty and said to send it when they'd finished. I suppose I (foolishly) thought that because Agent A responded within 11 minutes of me sending my e-query, that she'd be waiting for the postman at the front desk, charge back to her office, read the (brilliant) MS in one sitting, scream "eureka! Here is someone who will knock that pesky JK Rowling off her perch!" and get straight on the phone to me. (After that scenario, does anyone here think I should write fantasy rather than historical fiction? :) )