PDA

View Full Version : Unagented writers get a publisher

iwant2beabestseller
04-06-2007, 11:27 PM
I am just curious. Anyone here sends his/her novel to a publisher directly without an agent and gets published?

Sheryl Nantus
04-06-2007, 11:37 PM
sure.

I did!

*points below*

:)

David McAfee
04-06-2007, 11:45 PM
It happens. Most of the bigger houses want agents, but lots of the medium and smaller presses will let writers submit without one. There's nothing wrong with going with a small house, either, as long as you know it's reputable (like Sheryl's).

Toothpaste
04-07-2007, 02:27 AM
It is also more common in the children's writing market. Though that may not help at all if you don't write those kinds of books.

Dani Dunn
04-07-2007, 02:51 AM
I've never submitted anything to a publisher directly, but since I posted an excerpt of chapter 1 of my book on MySpace, I've gotten emails from people asking me if they could publish my book. They say things like they're small, independent publishers, and they can't pay advances, but they can get the book out. I told a few I'd consider it if I don't have luck getting an agent.

veinglory
04-07-2007, 04:40 AM
As mentioned, with smaller presses agents don't really provide much. But if you are thinking top NY press I imagine they are a huge advantage.