Do You Concentrate on One Single Genre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I just have a quick question - just sort of feeling things out. Is it better to concentrate on one specific genre - or is it okay to experiment with different genres?

I have a children's book that I have written, but I also have two novels in the works - one with a completed first draft and the other in the beginning stages. I also write poetry. Am I spreading myself too thin - or should I just write wherever my imagination leads me?

Thanks for your input!

Cindy

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
Welcome, Cindy. The short answer is, do whatever works for you. No two projects will be just alike, even if they are the same genre. A lot of folks here write in several different genres while others specialize.

For myself, I write historical fiction with a strong military element. Pretty specific. But right now I'm shopping a novel for adults while I write one for middle graders. Both historical fiction, but otherwise very different.

There is something to be said for getting really good at one thing. There's also something to be said for casting a wide net and figuring out what works for you, and what readers want.

So, to make a long story longer: do what works for you.

HN

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds great! Sometimes, these ideas just pop into my head - you know, while I am washing dishes or other mundane chores - and I just want to run with it! But, I have always been afraid of spreading myself too thin and then not being able to produce anything at all. Thanks for your input!

Cindy

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
While you're figuring out what you want to write and what you want to write well, I say try anything and everything.

Unfortunately, when it comes to selling fiction, you do have to specialize. This is tough for me b/c I would like to write in a number of different genres, but I have to establish myself first. Right now I am trying to get established in YA supernatural romantic suspense and possibly adult romantic suspense. All my humor/chick lit/family drama ideas have to wait.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
Similar to what Claudia says, my agent has advised me to stick with the humorous fantasy, at least for a while. The goal is to build an audience, and that's harder to do when each book is drastically different from the last.

With that said, if I was really dying to write something different, I might do it anyway. But since I'm enjoying the quirky stuff, this works for me.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Good question! I have only written historical romance, but am thinking about crossing over to modern romance/fantasy or something like that. EEK!

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I write a little bit of everything, but my novels are usually dark suspense and horror. I get my other-genre fix by writing short stories.

When I first started taking writing seriously, I went to a conference that had contests. I entered all of them: YA, childrens lit, spiritual, non-fiction, speculative fiction, short story, novel chapter, you name it. I approached it completely as a throw-it-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks sort of thing, and was pleasantly surprised when a few things stuck.

So until you find the thing that sticks, keep throwing at the wall.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
Shoot, I can't even concentrate on one genre in the same story!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write in several genres, but I'm trying to focus for a while since I'm trying to get established. It's difficult because the same agent rarely reps both children's and adults. I do like to write short stories in multiple genres. It keeps things interesting for me. I write middle grade now, but I enjoy mystery, fantasy, and horror shorts.

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everyone! It is nice to know that I am not the only one who cannot seem to stick to one genre! I thought it was the effects of ADD - but, maybe it is just one of the symptoms of having an imagination!

Cindy

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Genre

I think it's probably best to stick to one genre until you actually sell a novel. After this you can branch out all you like. But diluting the effort in the beginning can make it awfully tough to write a novel that sells.

Selling a first novel is great, but realistically, you may have to write four or five or six in one genre before your skill level catches your talent level and something clicks.

So I think it's important to write in a genre you absolutely love, and forget market until you're a good enough writer to sell what you write.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
So far I've written one Fantasy, and one SF. I don't know if that was a good idea or not, but they were the two novels I wanted to write. For me, it was the way to find out which genre I was better at, and to stretch my authorial wings.

For me it's a conscious decision to work within SF&F but try not to get pigeonholed to one subgenre until I find which one I'm most suited for.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
One friend of mine initially wrote in YA fiction - she was told by so many people that that was the best way to break in. One year, for NaNoWriMo (I think) she decided to have some fun and wrote a mystery. She ended up having so much fun writing the mystery that she finally understood why she was struggling so much with YA fiction - YA fiction was not a genre she loved or was even the least bit interested in! Now that she's writing mysteries, she's having the time of her life.

Sometimes, a person has to play with different genres to see what fits.

Personally, I'm a science fiction gal. Always have been. It's always been my most favorite genre to read, and I dream in science fiction. I mean, seriously, Riker and Picard and Troi and Jack ONeill (with three Ls), Daniel, Sam, and Teal'C playing in my dreams! It's only natural for me to write in science fiction. But, you know, I hit a brick wall and stopped having fun. I'm now playing with fantasy, cuz the story idea hit me and it feels fun. I need fun, too.

Sometimes, a person has to play with different genres to recharge their fun batteries. And no, no dirty innuendos intended with that. :)

But I do agree that, with publishing in mind, it's usually better to stick with one genre to build up a fan base.

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread - thanks for the contributions! I am working on the second draft on my first novel - and I have the ideas laid out for the second. But, I just had this children's book, written for my nieces and nephews, that I just felt like I needed to get out.

I am in the process of preparing query/ms submissions as we speak for the children's book - but, I really LOVE to write adult stories.

And, I agree - sometimes, writing in a different genre could give you just the recharge needed!

I'm just happy to write - it doesn't matter what the subject is!

Cindy

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I used to genre float like crazy (espionage, contemporary military fiction, college life/reality-type stuff, fantasy...), but now I've settled mostly into westerns. I mix in non-fiction from time to time, and in a sense it's my first writing love (and the one I've been most successful publishing-wise in).

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I write fantasy, but that is such a diverse genre what with urban fantasy, Tolkienesque fantasy, Sword and Sorcery, alternate history, and so on, I don't feel I'm actually just "stuck" in one genre.

Same here. It's what I love about the all encompassing Fantasy label. My work tends to hover in some undefined space between Urban Fantasy and Soft SF, but I draw in elements from other genres, as well (such as romance, action/adventure, mystery, humor). But the defining nature of the work is almost always Fantasy.

That doesn't mean I will never branch out. My first novel was mainstream. I love westerns, and want (some day) to adapt my western screenplay into either a novella or novel. However, until I can get my foot firmly wedged into the literary door, I'll stick with my UF/SSF.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I actively work on NOT staying in a genre. I'd get bored.

My novel is sci-fi. I have a short out in an anthology that's fantasy. I did a couple of movie scripts that are fantasy, and another that's a heist/crime movie. In comics, I've done horror, super-heroes, military, fantasy, humor, dark, gothic, and all points in between.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I like to read mysteries and writing them is fun too. I'll probably stick to that.

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
Great!! It is so nice to know that I am not alone. So far, I have written a children's book, am doing the second draft of a murder mystery, and have a running start on a novel about abuse, but hopefully I have a twist that makes it different.

Right now, I am concentrating on getting the children's book published because it is finished - and I really want to get it published for my nieces and nephew because they are who I wrote it for.

Thanks for the continuing comments!

Cindy

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I'm putting myself in the speculative fiction category. So I guess that would be science-fiction/fantasy.

I've finally decided to stick with short stories as I do not have the patience, drive, or discipline for a novel at this point in my life. I have lots of ideas and have a hard time sticking to one for the amount of time it takes to write a novel.

My writing dream is to write a novel about Mars and follow in the footsteps of Bradbury, Bova, Bear, and Burroughs. Hmm...if I ever get married maybe I should make sure my surname will start with a B.

Status
Not open for further replies.