Oops, I guess the agent was too right for my genre!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
I queried an agent who had represented a book similar to mine, and it looks like I got a little too close. I received a form rejection, but scribbled at the bottom was:

"I'm sorry, but this would compete with the work of another client."

Of course, there may have been a heavy dose of "and I'm not that excited about your idea/writing anyway," but I'm not going to read anything into it that isn't there. Except maybe her crying into her desk calendar, wailing, "Why, why couldn't I have met you first?"

Nah. Didn't work.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
That sucks, Cathy, but as rejections go, it's pretty encouraging -- if she thinks your writing is competitive with a successful client of hers, then that's got to be worth something, right?

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
I queried an agent who had represented a book similar to mine, and it looks like I got a little too close. I received a form rejection, but scribbled at the bottom was:

"I'm sorry, but this would compete with the work of another client."

Of course, there may have been a heavy dose of "and I'm not that excited about your idea/writing anyway," but I'm not going to read anything into it that isn't there. Except maybe her crying into her desk calendar, wailing, "Why, why couldn't I have met you first?"

Nah. Didn't work.

I would not read any more into it than he/she says.

Look at my own agent's situation. If you wrote him, saying you had the next story of growing up with Asperger's, would he take you on? Probably not, because of the potential conflict of interest with me writing more on the subject.

But every situation is different.

For what it's worth, the same thing applies to publishers. Some would say, we just did a book like that, why do another? Others would say, we already publish many of the leading works on that topic, and here's another!

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm sorry, Cathy, but at least she explained why she rejected you. I bet you could find another agent who would love to represent your work.

Apryl

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the rejection. Kind of sucky, because it tells you there's a market, but this agent already used up her editor contacts for that kind of story. At least you know why she rejected you. Keep sending out those queries, at least you're onto something!

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
And here's another good thing about this: it shows you are good at "reading" agents and identifying a pool that will be a good fit for your kind of book. So just keep going!

Good luck!

Susan

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
You guys are so kind--thank you for the encouraging words! On the bright side, I'm far too stubborn to give up any time soon, and freelancing has given me thicker skin than a walrus. I'll try another 20 agents or so before quitting. If that doesn't work, I'll spend a couple of years building up my credentials and try again.

MajorDrums

Kidnapper
Registered
Reaction score
You guys are so kind--thank you for the encouraging words! On the bright side, I'm far too stubborn to give up any time soon, and freelancing has given me thicker skin than a walrus. I'll try another 20 agents or so before quitting. If that doesn't work, I'll spend a couple of years building up my credentials and try again.

That's the spirit! Good to be stubborn with this writing thing.:D Keep at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.