How would you have dealt with it?

jthome1223

Registered
Reaction score
I just purchased a book from PA.

I'll give you a second to digest that information.

Anyway, I work as a reporter at a newspaper, and a former co-worker of mine had a book published through PA. Now, she didn't tell me she published through PA in the e-mail she sent me, but it was obvious that she was very excited about the whole thing. For some reason -- since I know how hard it is to get published in the real world, probably -- I immediately thought, "Oh, no. Please tell me she didn't go with PA."

Sure enough, she did.

I didn't tell want to burst her bubble, of course, so I put on my happy face and extended the requisite congratulations.

And bought the book. Let me tell you, it was beyond painful shelling out $25 for something PA produced.

I certainly don't want to support them.

But I do want to support my friend.

Now, the information that PA is little more than a vanity publisher is all over the place. If you really want to find out what they're all about, it takes about five seconds of research. However, if YOUR FRIENDS, who you know to be intelligent people, choose to turn a blind eye to that information, all you can really do is suck it up and soldier on.

Right?

Right?

Any thoughts on this? How would YOU have dealt with it? Personally, though I know the information is accurate, it irks me when some people pontificate about PA and end up coming across as know-it-all blowhards. What's probably meant as helpful advice often sounds like pompous "words from on high" in the mouths of certain posters. If this isn't the time to keep your mouth shut, when is?

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I've bought a PA book too, it just wasn't the right time to burst the writer's bubble and in the end I cared more about their feelings then not wanting to line PA's pockets. As the bubble started to deflate I passed on useful contact information, web sites, writing support and publisher info relevant to them. Good people make bad publishing choices, all you can do is support their writing by pointing them in enough right directions that they cannot fail to make a better choice next time.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I would have dealt with it exactly the same way you did. This is one of those times it's not right to "be cruel to be kind."

The best thing you can do is be supportive and be there for her when reality bites.

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
A PA author I had been talking with challeneged me; "Buy my book and tell me it's not as good as anything the big NYC houses publish."

Well, it's not. It is not even close. It's a big book and kudos to him for writing such a massive volume but if it came through the slush pile, I would have rejected it after reading the first three paragraphs.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
support the author

I think the key is, "How do we best support the author in their quest for success in publishing/printing/smoke signals.

In this situation, it would be best to smile, shake her hand and say congratulations and best wishes. Buying the book is an option.

The other thing is to stand by and wait for the moment when PA finally is done with her and treats her like dirt. This is the moment when she will need heavy support, comfort and a good swift kick in the rear. Comfort for the tears. Support to keep her focused on the larger picture. last but not least is the kick, to keep her writing.

I could be wrong. I was once. Or was I? No, I wrong. I was never wrong.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's really nice of you to support your friend. When things start falling down around her, and she realizes what PA really is all about, I'm sure she'll appreciate your support.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Someone often quotes here that the PA reality check arrives at the same time as the royalty check.

That will be when you can offer support and very gently ease into, "I've learned some disturbing things about PA on the industry grapevine. Before you place another book with them you need to do some research. I don't want to see you hurt by these guys." Then you google "PA" and "scam" for her. The first 30 entries are all warnings.

But be aware that she may have turned a blind eye to them in her driving need to get into "print." Don't let it destroy your friendship.

If she's smart enough, she'll figure it out herself. She's gonna be mad and feel like a moron. That's when you bring chocolate and sympathy.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
While I certainly don't blame anyone for buying their friend's book, I don't think I could've. I would congratulate the writer on finishing a book and try to avoid flat-out saying I wouldn't buy it. Only if pressed would I finally tell them that I won't support PA's shoddy business practices.

Rosamund

Registered
Reaction score
One of my e-friends is currently publishing with P.A. She said she chose them after extensive research, and she is very, very excited about the whole thing. OK, she's not the brightest crayon in the pack, but I really wonder at what her 'extensive research' involved, as I found out about what PA does within five minutes of typing 'Publish America' into Google.

Unfortunately, I only found this out after my friend had signed with them. The speed with which they accepted her manuscript made me suspicious, and her talk about the wonderful contract that let her keep her copyright made me even moreso, but by the time I'd done my research and tentatively enquired as to the state of things the deed was done. Her dad had checked the contract for her, she had signed, and her mum was proudly hanging the framed dollar on their wall. I was not going to come in like the raven of doom and tell them about PA post-signing. Whether they believed me or not, the deed was done, and all I would achieve would be to rain on her parade.

My current plan is to listen to her without bursting her bubble, and then to be there for her whenever the whole thing comes crashing down. There's not much else I can do, really. So, yes, in the same situation, I am keeping my mouth shut as well. Reality will hit soon enough, so let them be happy while they can, I say.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
I would have done the same thing. I would have given all of the congratulations in the world. If the book was something that interested me like sci-fi or horror then I might have bought a copy of it. And I would do my best to be there for them when they started to learn the bitter truth. I guess that all you really can do in this type of situation.:Shrug:

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
I have purchased three PA books and one other vanity press offering. The editing was lacking in one or two but all the stories were good and the writing not bad. So it was congratulations and move on.

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
JT~
The harder part will come when she asks how you liked the book. What do you say then? In a similar situation, I just smiled and gave vague praise. I could not finish my friend's self pubbed book. It was that bad...

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I gritted my teeth, smiled and offered congratulations. It was too late to do anything else.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In your situation I might play it off to a point.

What I would do, is question H/S on how PA will market the book, or if the book will be in bookstores.

Then in a subtle way, try to make sure that your friend doesn't purchase copies of the book.

I've purchased PA books too, 150 of them. Bad, bad, bad.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I try not to purchase bullets for murderers or to support scam organizations by purchasing their products regardless of how good the person is who was taken by them because doing otherwise results in only more victims.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The PA book I bought was Molly Marx Brent's Ain't Enough Front Porches. I bought it long after PA had returned her rights to her and supposedly stopped printing it.

I kept the receipt.

At the time, Molly was contemplating legal action.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
J, I think you did what most would do. However, I have to agree with Dave on this one and I probably could not have pulled it off as well as you.

My first (gut) reaction would have been, “OH, NO!” But you see I’ve been there and know first hand how PA operates.

I warn everyone I can about them, some listen, some don’t. Not my problem if they choose to be ripped off but I will be there to give them a hug when the light bulb comes on!

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
There's no way I'd have bought the book. I'd have pointed out the price discrepancy and asked her why it was priced so high. I'd probably be slightly nasty and tell her I'd wait for it to appear in the bookshops at a reasonable price. I hate it when people push products on friends and acquaintances. I wouldn't have burst her bubble by telling her all about PA either though, but what she did is just exploiting a friendship. Doesn't she know the price of a book?

ccomer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
The reason why I left PA was because of what was said to me here on this board. It got my a-- in gear and got me doing the job I should of done in the beginning. I have learned a lot here and continue to do so.
So sometimes it takes a 2x4 across the head to get through. If the person is smart enough, they will shake it off and look at the big picture.
So I guess what I am trying to say is, maybe everyone should stick to their guns and fight for their friend and let them know Now. Don't wait for the tears to fall. catch them before.
But, hey, that is just my opinion and you guys hit me with a 2x4 and I am still alive and working harder to find the right publisher.
I got an email from someone asking about PA, as they were thinking on going to them. What did I do? why I sent them here. PA lost another author

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
If it was a friend who had already been published by P.A., I would do exactly as you did, congratulate her and say nothing about P.A. Now, if she were just thinking about going with P.A., I would feel compelled to give my opinion. Once done though, I wouldn't be the one to pop her balloon.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
This is for those who might think that purchasing the book directly from the author won't benefit PA, which already has its money from the author. You'd think you're only helping the author to break even, but you'd be wrong. If the author makes back all the money given to PA, then there's no lesson learned. You'll be reinforcing the idea that selling out of the trunk is how it works. That author might make an even bigger mistake by not only sending a second book to PA to publish, but also put even more money at risk by purchasing more copies of the first or both books than before in the belief that they can eventually reach bestseller status because they'll be recognized by virtue of building a massive system of word-of-mouth for themselves.

If it's a really good book, then buy it because it's good, not because you want to help a friend out. Just be sure you look over the first few pages before you make that purchase. That author might not like the loss of a sale then, but my experience has shown me several times over that doing the right thing will eventually be recognized by that person as beneficial.