Do You Let People See Your Work Before It's Finished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Do you show your WIP to friends or family members or critique groups?

I write mostly short stories and never show anything unfinished to anyone. But that's only because there's usually no one awake at that hour of the morning...

Reaction score
Heh. Another night owl, eh? I'm just coming awake now (it's 10:30pm where I is). I'll probably be wide awake for another 6 hours or so.

Anyhoo...I don't show my stuff to anyone, finished or not. Probably because I have very few friends who are readers. Unles, of course, you count the good people of AW! :D

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes.

I will show a work-in-progress to a person I trust. But only a scene, or the opening pages to see if the 'hook' is working, that sort of thing. I won't send someone all of a story or novel I'm working on until I have reached THE END and completed at least one major revision.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
No.

Not any more. I did run the first half of my first book through a small crit group while I was writing it, but I didn't give them the ending and then they threw me out. Jerks.

Anyway, I now think that getting early crits is great for new writers. Especially if you can come into a group with different levels of experience. I learned a lot during my early crits. Once you get the hang of things (like POV and verb tenses!), I think a writer should wait until they're ready to submit to ask for outside opinions, if they ask for any at all.

And ever since I caught my husband trying to email one of my stories (that I later sold to Chicken Soup) to everyone in his address book, I don't let him read them until they're sold. I'm not going to let him make my stuff public domain. (His address book is full of "forwarders")

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The sister that I live with reads everything I write - she's my Beta, loves a good book, hates to be bored - I give her each chapter as it's written then move on to the next while she reads it.

She's brutal, honest, and when things are going good - the best fan a writer could want :)

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody sees my wip. First group of folks that see my totally finished piece is from the pub I send it to.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Never. I have too much respect for readers to waste their time with early drafts. And unless it's a knock-out piece when I'm finished, no one will ever read it.

This reminds me of when my youngest boy saw me preparing meat loaf, my hands wrist-deep mixing meat and spices and eggs.

He said, "Yuck. That's gross."

Within a couple of hours, though, the loaf had transformed into a jewel of a meal and was ready to eat. :)

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I'd be happy to show my wip's to anyone if I could find anyone interested. The only ones I find with any interest is in critique groups (on line and in real life), and since my schedule does not allow much participation, little of my work is seen, finished or not. I wish I had a family member interested in seeing my work.

NDG

cool_st_elizabeth

Last person who isn't on Facebook
Registered
Reaction score

Never. I don't even talk about writing to anyone, other than a few people on the internet. A few years ago I got burned in a critique group that met locally & that was enough for me.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hate to remark this way in this topic, but:

There are too many beginners who push out unfinished work to boards, friends, relatives, while screaming "Is this good, is this good!"

(Odd that I find boards, sometimes, just as willing to praise crap as the writer's mother.)

Present your best effort--do not stop after the first draft. Usually, the first draft sucks.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are too many beginners who push out unfinished work to boards, friends, relatives, while screaming "Is this good, is this good!"
It's understandable though. At the beginning, you really don't have a sense of how good (or bad) you are and this is a way to begin to find out. But before long, I'd wager most writers start pulling back on that sort of thing and share when they need something more specific from the other person.

Present your best effort--do not stop after the first draft. Usually, the first draft sucks.
Certainly when compared with a well-executed second draft and beyond.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on who. I have a few friends who are professional writers, and I trust their judgment (as well as their ability to understand the level of critique appropriate for a first draft versus that for a more complete project). Sometimes I show them things I'm working on, or look at their work in return. However, when it comes to anyone outside that circle, I keep it to myself until it's done.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I gave a couple of chapters to a few beta readers I didn’t know personally which turned out to be a bad idea. One friend read my WIP and gave great feedback. I’ll give my WIP to someone I trust only if they ask to read it, otherwise I’ll stick with the one friend who is an avid reader. It is important for me to get feedback so I can improve, but not at the risk of wasting my time or the other person’s time.

Last edited:

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
Nope. I don't even show the husband until I've had a few revision passes. First drafts have a lot of wonderful energy but they are usually full of bonehead mistakes, cliches, and other flaws.

The only exception to that I'll make is sharing stuff written in writing practice group with other writers. It's fun to see how differently everyone deals with the same prompt, and we know they are just drafts and we aren't interested in critique in that environment.

I also have a superstitious attitude about talking about WIPs. I feel like if I talk about a piece the energy will be sucked out of writing it into talking about it.

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I love writing at night, when no one else is awake, and the world (my muse) is free from cluttered thoughts...

Sometimes I will let people see my unfinished writing, but it depends on the person and the situation. :)

Apryl

weatherfield

Registered
Reaction score

I do. It's something I got into the habit of because of school, I think. My process usually goes:

-first draft
-second draft
-critique
-third draft
-submission.

I have two readers, both of whom I've had classes with for a long time. They each have particular critiquing strengths, and because we were in workshops together, I think they have a different expectation of work in progress than someone who doesn't write might have. They give me good feedback and I really like having someone to talk about ideas with.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I finish a scene, I read it aloud to my husband. That way I hear mistakes or clumsy wording. He's way too enamoured of my writing to be a serious critiquer though.

I've lined up a few beta readers, but they are going to get the entire third draft rather than a bit at a time. Passing out bits is next to useless IMO, because you can't get a feel for how pacing, themes, etc. are working out.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend/beta who's a vicious editor and a good analyzer. I'll let her read things before the story is complete, but she knows the extent of the feedback needed at any particular time. Pacing, plain stupidity, or plot problems. It's proved very helpful. No one else gets to see it though.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
As a new writer, I sent copies to family members and friends who were interested in my work. Of course, they raved and claimed they couldn't put my manuscript down. My stepmother offered hints on plot holes (with many long phone calls from across the continent and taking notes).

I was a little disconcerted when my dad sent the early ms to a writer friend, but she also offered good advice.

My private crit group is very helpful with early drafts, and patient when they see a lot of grammar mistakes. I just figure I can use all the help I can get.

NEGO

Registered
Reaction score
Never. I don't even discuss my WIP with people until it's finished. My stories are never plotted, so showing someone an incomplete piece would be pointless. Much of the time my work doesn't meld and tie together until the very last period. I also edit my work continuously during the writing process, so much so that my completed work tends to change very little from the first draft.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I don't show anyone anything that is unfinished and I only show a few people my finished work (stuff I am about to submit or have submitted).
I love e-mailing friends and family links to my published work that appear online, but I've noticed that even though it's not that often people get less and less interested each time. :tongue Anyone else experience that?

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
Rarely. I might show the first few chapters to my wife, just to see if I'm going in the right direction, but I usually wait until I've got a complete, polished manuscript. My brother reads my stuff when it's done, and maybe a friend or two. But I've never been in a critique group that I found worth while, and I now avoid them.

Status
Not open for further replies.