PDA

View Full Version : It's my birthday!

Deadbeat 007
04-05-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm seventeen. Any ideas on making this year count? I want it to be a year I can look back on with my kids and grandkids and say, "That's nothing compared to what I did when I was seventeen." :box:

Meerkat
04-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Happy birthday, Deadbeat!

Yes--here's what you should most definitely do, if nothing else: Start an IRA (Individual Retirement Account) at your local bank, and contribute $166.66 of your paycheck to it every month, without fail. You'll look back and tell your kids that that is why you DO have time to go fishing with them. Well, or hover-skateboarding or holodeck-dinosaur taunting or whatever else'n you zany young-uns grow up to do...

MacAllister
04-05-2007, 09:34 PM

I dunno. I had a lot of fun at seventeen -- but I can honestly say every year since has been better, yet.

alleycat
04-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Happy Birthday!

Due to the court order, I can't make any suggestions on what you should or should not do. Hey, there really is a "permanent record"! ;-)

Actually, I would suggest that you try to drive within reason, and never drive drunk. Really, it's one of the best suggestions I can make to you. Other than that, have fun.

MidnightMuse
04-05-2007, 09:37 PM
You've got kids and grandkids at 17?!?

Sheesh!

Well, happy birthday to ya'. My advice - just ENJOY being 17. Too bad about he kids and grandkids at such an early age, but - what can you do, eh?

Susie
04-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Roses are red
Violets are blue.
A very happy B-day
To Y- O - UUUUUUUU!

Hope your day is great, Deadbeat. Party time: :Cake: :popcorn: :Cake: :TheWave: :Guitar: :PartySmil: :partyguy: more :Cake: :D

l7 is so far back for me, I can't really remember what that was like, but I know it was fun. :D

Deadbeat 007
04-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Yes--here's what you should most definitely do, if nothing else: Start an IRA (Individual Retirement Account) at your local bank, and contribute $166.66 of your paycheck to it every month, without fail.

Thanks! Actually, that's some pretty sound advice. I have, what, $30.45 to jump start the account... Maybe I should lay off squandering my cash at FuzzyWigs... :Shrug:

Thank you! :D

Happy Birthday!

Actually, I would suggest that you try to drive within reason, and never drive drunk. Really, it's one of the best suggestions I can make to you. Other than that, have fun.

Thanks. I haven't been pushing my parents for a car because they have this crazy idea that I should buy it myself. Maybe if I let them get used to the idea of me driving on their own terms, they'll buy (most of) the car for me. :D I've had my eye on this beauty...
http://www.technology-assoc.com/infoimages/golf_carts.jpg

Well, happy birthday to ya'. My advice - just ENJOY being 17. Too bad about he kids and grandkids at such an early age, but - what can you do, eh?

Hey, I'm just looking out for my future self. Do you know how much those kids will sell for on the black market? Plus they come in handy when it comes time to do chores...

Roses are red
Violets are blue.
A very happy B-day
To Y- O - UUUUUUUU!

Thank ya'! :snoopy:

Maryn
04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Happy birthday! For serious, don't dismiss the first-rate financial advice you got here. Check any Roth IRA calculator for what that $166.66 each and every month will turn into. (And brace yourself for loan requests.)

Even if you can't swing that much every month, put something into an IRA every month starting now and you may never need to worry about money when you're older. Now that's a birthday present!

By the time you're enjoying the fruit of the seed Meerkat planted, you'll probably be congratulating yourself for your early wisdom, but we'll know the truth. ;)

Maryn, wondering what kind of cake she should bake for you

alleycat
04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks. I haven't been pushing my parents for a car because they have this crazy idea that I should buy it myself. Maybe if I let them get used to the idea of me driving on their own terms, they'll buy (most of) the car for me. :D I've had my eye on this beauty...
http://www.technology-assoc.com/infoimages/golf_carts.jpg

Nice.

I have my eye on this beauty . . .

http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/images/fordgt/ford-gt-1.jpg

Deadbeat 007
04-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Nice.

Too bad it doesn't come in normal sizes.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/deadbeat_007/car.jpg

TsukiRyoko
04-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Get drunk, scale a building, and fly off in a wheelcair while puking. Land in a bush, puke some more, then do it again.

Writer2011
04-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Happy Birthday...

Just go out and have fun.. :)

rhymegirl
04-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Happy Birthday!

You're an Aries and we all know that is the best sign of the Zodiac! You are already at an advantage.

How to celebrate? Go out to dinner. Have a party. Borrow that nice car from alleycat.

MidnightMuse
04-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Nice.

Damn . . . and it's red, too :D
:e2flowers

Rolling Thunder
04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Happy Bday, DB! :D

alleycat
04-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Oh, yeah, here's another suggestion. Don't listen to anything Tsuki tells you.

reniewriter
04-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Happy Birthday!

Enjoy 17 while you can. Before you know it, you'll be 30!

CBeasy
04-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Happy Birthday! My best advice is to enjoy being a teenager while you can! You'll be an adult, with stupid responsibilities, before you know it!

Little Red Barn
04-06-2007, 12:16 AM
JUst go have tons of fun. Best of Happy Birthdays to you! :)

writerterri
04-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Happy birthday! And just have fun.

aadams73
04-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Happy Birthday, Deadbeat!

SpookyWriter
04-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Happy Birthday! :partyguy:

Soccer Mom
04-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Happy Birthday, Deadbeat!

Wow.

I remember 17.

No.

Actually, I don't. I think I had fun.

But I can say that while you are young you should travel. I traveled quite a bit back then and I'm really glad I did.

And being a grown-up doesn't suck, inspite of what some would have you think.

Remember: Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.

:TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave:

arrowqueen
04-06-2007, 01:13 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/birthday2/9.gif

threedogpeople
04-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Write a long letter to yourself about what's important to you right now, what you are thinking about, what's going on in your life. Then, seal it and put it away to be opened on your 30th birthday or another big life event.

As far as making your year memorable, I would suggest picking something you've always thought about doing like going on a hot air balloon ride, bungee jumping, white water rafting, learning to scuba, riding a donkey to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, and just going for it. It doesn't have to be expensive either - it could be going to every museum nearby, volunteering at the zoo, riding a horse, etc.

You live in a beautiful place, if you enlist the help of your family, there are some great places to visit and experience.

Happy Birthday! I hope all your dreams come true this year!

Judy

kristie911
04-06-2007, 02:18 AM
Happy Birthday, Deadbeat! Make it a fun year but remember...in most states you're old enough to go to "big boy" jail now. :) So don't have TOO much fun!

Deadbeat 007
04-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Remember: Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.

Hear, hear! Thank you for the well-wishes!

Write a long letter to yourself about what's important to you right now, what you are thinking about, what's going on in your life. Then, seal it and put it away to be opened on your 30th birthday or another big life event.

Thanks, Judy! You reminded me -- when I was thirteen or fourteen, I wrote a letter to myself to be opened today. Exciting!

Happy Birthday, Deadbeat! Make it a fun year but remember...in most states you're old enough to go to "big boy" jail now. :) So don't have TOO much fun!

And I thought college next year was all I had to worry about. :scared:

threedogpeople
04-06-2007, 02:59 AM
Hear, hear! Thank you for the well-wishes!

Thanks, Judy! You reminded me -- when I was thirteen or fourteen, I wrote a letter to myself to be opened today. Exciting!

And I thought college next year was all I had to worry about. :scared:

Triple dog dare you to post the letter you wrote yourself on the site.:partyguy: